Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
^Doesn't it cause a shock to your system when you go from such a hot place into a much colder one? I've heard you can get sick if you're outside in the heat for a while, and then suddenly move inside to the A/C.
I get sick that way. I remember one time we were in NM and the restaurant was sooooo cold that I could hardly take it. I went outside where it was about 90 and sat in the sun until I got too hot. I went back inside and then outside a few more times, I just couldnt get comfortable. I made it back to Illinois just in time to begin a whole day barf fest. I was miserable. Now I know better....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Great thread! This is going to be my first summer here so I am anticipating the heat. Let's hope I survive it!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:15 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk View Post
I don't know. I don't see how that would lower your resistance at all. I can't remember the last time I got sick so I'm a bad one to ask.

What about the reverse in other parts of the country? Often there is more than a 30-40 degree difference between indoors and outdoors. At least there was for me in Chicago.
I'm sorry. I don't mean "SICK" sick, as in coming down with a cold or some other disease. I mean doesn't it sorta shock your system and make you nauseous, or give you a headache until you get used to the difference in temperature? I've heard that (can't recall where), but maybe it doesn't happen with all people.

As far as it happening here in the east, I have to honestly say it's far more likely to happen if you go from the cold interior, to the humid heat outside.

But a 30-40 degree difference between indoors and outdoors? Good gracious, no. Most people in the east keep their A/C set to around 72-74 degrees. But outside it's generally only in the upper 80's to mid 90's. Keeping the A/C at that temperature actually produces a pleasant enough change from outside because it can be so oppressively humid outside that such a temperature inside will actually feel nice, simply because there is no humidity inside. Going from a humid heat, into a dry interior - even if there isn't a huge difference in temperature between the two - will feel considerably better.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:46 PM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,449 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I don't mean "SICK" sick, as in coming down with a cold or some other disease. I mean doesn't it sorta shock your system and make you nauseous, or give you a headache until you get used to the difference in temperature? I've heard that (can't recall where), but maybe it doesn't happen with all people.
Sounds like it's happened to Steve-o! I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk
What about the reverse in other parts of the country? Often there is more than a 30-40 degree difference between indoors and outdoors.
Quote:
But a 30-40 degree difference between indoors and outdoors? Good gracious, no.
Sorry, I meant the "reverse" as in heat instead of A/C. Where I am from it is not uncommon for the temperatures to drop below 30 in the winter (down to subzero, but not too often). But most of us kept our thermostats somewhere between 65-72 which is quite a big difference.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
People survive the heat in the six-month long summer by parking their cars in the shady spots and walking the 200' to the mall. Expect to find some great parking spots at first, then you'll realize the steering wheel is 250 degrees and you cannot drive. People also go to the movies and to the pool much more often. You can also drive up to the mountains and be in more hospitable heat (though with more humidity) in less than two hours.

If you're looking at housing, pick a home/apartment with north/south windows and avoid significant exposures to east/west UNLESS they are sheltered by overhangs. You don't want those direct rays hitting you in the morning and the afternoon. Your electric bills will be way higher.

I've lived here off and on since 1985. I've never gotten sick from going from hot to cold. I do keep my a/c on 84 degrees inside my house which might sound ridiculously warm, but because I'm (ahem) frugal, I get used to it and it's never been a problem. Electricity seems like a waste anyway and living in a/c seems to be a mistake. If the a/c ever goes out, you want your body to be able to handle the heat, just in case. Just as in the places where winter is harsh, it is wise to make your body strong enough to handle the local weather.

I drive with my windows down year-round which is most enjoyable, though there are days when the a/c in the car is nirvana. I just refuse to use it all the time. I also bike around town even when it's 110. The breeze is enough to keep me cool. How I manage to do it for 90 minutes without drinking a liter of water must make me a rare individual, so don't do this unless you're well-prepared!

The heat does take some time to get used to. You slow down, you realize how quiet a large city can get in the hot oven-blasted air. It can also be enjoyable as the heat seems to penetrate deep in to your body. It's wonderful to get out of the pool and be completely dry--without a towel--in a matter of minutes.

Many people can and do survive the heat here. We now have over 4 million in the metro area. The worst time is late July and August when the humidity comes and the storms form, but somehow manage to not drop any rain. Two summers ago, I stood outside when it was 108 and the heat and humidity were so intense, but I looked into the sky and saw cloud formations that astounded me (I took pictures).

Give me 122 and 10% humidity (when no one in Phoenix died) over 90 and 70% humidity (when 600+ people died in Chicago).

Last edited by mhouse2001; 05-29-2007 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-29-2007, 08:21 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Great thread! This is going to be my first summer here so I am anticipating the heat. Let's hope I survive it!

You'll be fine. Sometimes it's all about attitude.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
People survive the heat in the six-month long summer by parking their cars in the shady spots and walking the 200' to the mall. Expect to find some great parking spots at first, then you'll realize the steering wheel is 250 degrees and you cannot drive. People also go to the movies and to the pool much more often. You can also drive up to the mountains and be in more hospitable heat (though with more humidity) in less than two hours.

If you're looking at housing, pick a home/apartment with north/south windows and avoid significant exposures to east/west UNLESS they are sheltered by overhangs. You don't want those direct rays hitting you in the morning and the afternoon. Your electric bills will be way higher.

I've lived here off and on since 1985. I've never gotten sick from going from hot to cold. I do keep my a/c on 84 degrees inside my house which might sound ridiculously warm, but because I'm (ahem) frugal, I get used to it and it's never been a problem. Electricity seems like a waste anyway and living in a/c seems to be a mistake. If the a/c ever goes out, you want your body to be able to handle the heat, just in case. Just as in the places where winter is harsh, it is wise to make your body strong enough to handle the local weather.

I drive with my windows down year-round which is most enjoyable, though there are days when the a/c in the car is nirvana. I just refuse to use it all the time. I also bike around town even when it's 110. The breeze is enough to keep me cool. How I manage to do it for 90 minutes without drinking a liter of water must make me a rare individual, so don't do this unless you're well-prepared!

The heat does take some time to get used to. You slow down, you realize how quiet a large city can get in the hot oven-blasted air. It can also be enjoyable as the heat seems to penetrate deep in to your body. It's wonderful to get out of the pool and be completely dry--without a towel--in a matter of minutes.

Many people can and do survive the heat here. We now have over 4 million in the metro area.

Give me 122 and 10% humidity (when no one in Phoenix died) over 90 and 70% humidity (when 600+ people died in Chicago).

I love that feeling of the heat penetrating deep into my body. I thought I was the only one

Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
When my mom lived in Phoenix, she said the A/C where some people worked was kept so cold that people actually went outside to take breaks because the hot sun felt good.

Yes! They would freeze us out at work and I couldn't wait to get outside and bake in the sun.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Sooner than you know it the sun will fry your brain so much that you won't even know the difference. Serrrrrriously. Not kidding. It happens shortly after you notice that most of your good pens in your home have run dry (even though they are full of ink) from the lack of humidity!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Whoa, ink runs dry when there's no humidity? This I gotta see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area