Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 PM

54,477 posts, read 33,785,609 times

Advertisements

I guess I might have confused the months, it must have been April then, because I know we went through the month without hitting 100.

The low humidity makes all of the difference. I was outside of the grocery store over an hour ago at 19th Ave & Northern, and I heard on the radio that it was 108 degrees at Sky Harbor, but it was still very comfortable outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 PM

64 posts, read 282,219 times
If you are sitting in the shade even 105 is bearable if humidity is low. However, being out in the sun is another story. It feels like a blast furnace. Before anyone moves here they should come out in June/July/August and spend some time outside.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:16 PM

81 posts, read 361,089 times
It didn't really get hot in AZ this year until about a week or 2 ago.

It was hot for a few days in April/May (listed earlier in this thread) but only for a few hours, not all day like it is now.

People who don't live in AZ don't understand that 100F here is not even hot most of the time. After living here for a few years, I don't feel hot until it hits about 110.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,428,346 times
Stay indoors, turn on the air, be willing to be miserable for a few (or more) months. That's it in a nutshell.

Going on my 4th summer here. Sick of it and I'm the one who wears a sweater in air conditioned places because it's too cold.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:20 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,428,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberruka View Post
Oh no way! The humidity in the Phoenix area is rising every year from the increase of swimming pools and other forms of water in the area. A 110 degree day with a fairly low humidity level of 10% though has a much worse heat index comfort rating than an 86 degree day at 70% humidity.

In July-August though, it is about 115 degrees and close to 30% humidity isn't it? Other places also have relief from time to time, but I read that Phoenix has more than 100 days of over 100 degrees. That has got to be more uncomfortable than anywhere surely. Sun spots and leathery skin must be fairly common?
Not if you stay indoors and anyone with half a brain will.

The humidity was 3% today with 108. It's never exceeded 10%, to my knowledge. At least not at those temps. And, if I'm wrong on the off chance, it was accompanied by the monsoons.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Did you happen to visit here at all, do any research, or even just talk to anyone in AZ other then one of your family members before you decided to move, or did you just pick up and move here? I'm curious b/c it seems that most of the people who post here saying it's "hell" are people who didn't thoroughly research and visit before moving.

If the fact that it gets to 110 degrees in the summer for extended periods of time was a complete shock to you until you moved here, then I can see how you'd think it was "hell." Likewise, if the fact that it gets 110 degrees in the summer for extended periods of time was a complete shock to you until you moved here, then I'd say you knew nothing about AZ prior to your move and you should probably work on your decision making skills in the future. To pick up and move somewhere, anywhere, without visiting and researching the area, makes no sense at all.

I'm originally from the DC area and have only been in Phoenix for 3 1/2 yrs. It hasn't been a "health hazard" for me. I actually really like it, aside from monsoon. Yes, the long period of 100+ degree weather gets old, but it's only for 3 months or so, and the rest of the year the weather is great, IMO....no humidity, no bugs and blue skies almost every day - gotta love it! So you by no means speak for "those of us from different parts of the states."

Yep, I visited before coming here and THOUGHT I knew what I was getting into. The first few years it was tollerable...pain in the ass, but tollerable. But like someone else said in a later post "sick of it" and "getting old" would be the right phrases. When I visited the few times I did, once was durring normal season (which i loved) and once durring hell season.

When I visited durring the yuck months, the heat seemed tolerable as it wasnt as bad as what I experienced in actually living here. In the 5 years or so ive been here..this summer so far is the worst. I hate summer, bright sunshine all the time and no rain as it is lol So it is def on my agenda to get outta here eventually...prob go back east where I grew up or somewhere that at least has all seasons. If I was a heat and summer lover, it would be heaven..but im not. And yes there are health hazards...watch the news warnings, etc lol Also, i hate having to stay indoors. Im an out and about type person.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:52 AM

27,252 posts, read 27,319,080 times
I too, agree with the 'oven' description, its pretty accurate, lol.
When I first moved out here about 10 years ago from Flagstaff, it didnt seem to bother me as much. But as time goes by, and we get older, (and for those of us who are out working in it every day), it makes me wish now I was still in Flagstaff, or someplace where it doesnt get to this extreme. There may be people who love this dry furnace, but as time goes by, Im finding myself questioning my reasons for being here....

Old 06-23-2007, 07:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,051,805 times
The heat is actually not so bad and you get use to it after a month or so.(so I hear) I have lived here all my life so it doesn't get to me as bad. A pool really makes the heat fun so make sure you have a pool!

Old 06-23-2007, 11:11 AM

4,271 posts, read 15,223,269 times
This is my first summer here and the past week has been tolerable. Hell-ish but tolerable. The heat isn't so bad but the sun is grueling! After the sun went down, even if it was 100 degrees, it didn't feel too bad. I've pretty much just tried to avoid the sun during the day and if I do go out, I wear the strongest spf moisterizer I can find!

Old 06-23-2007, 12:31 PM

44,558 posts, read 61,304,789 times
To quote Paris Hilton; that's hot... Phoenix is hot, the people are hot, it's a hot place to live...pretty cool huh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area