U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM

3,753 posts, read 5,109,118 times

Advertisements

Check out that massive rainbow outside! What a beautiful sight after all these storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:44 PM

17,587 posts, read 20,907,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Check out that massive rainbow outside! What a beautiful sight after all these storms.
No rainbow at my house. Just hot and dry.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,294,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ooooh. Six inches of water. Were you here in 1978? 1980?
Water flows are similar to the 78, 80 storms. Dam management and Town Lake infrastructure is much better today compared to when the Mill Ave Bridge was under construction and collapsed by floodwaters.

The 24 hr rainfall totals in many areas including Sky Harbor have totals that far surpassed 78 and 80 (and are the new records)...the difference is that the bridges over Town Lake are much, much more sturdy and not in the middle of construction (obviously).

But this is a historic storm and there is still a slight chance of more rain today for ya'll in Phoenix and Arizona and snow for the mountains and Flagstaff. They already have 4 feet of snow on the ground and expect a foot or more before all said and done.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 17,777,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Water flows are similar to the 78, 80 storms. Dam management and Town Lake infrastructure is much better today compared to when the Mill Ave Bridge was under construction and collapsed by floodwaters.

The 24 hr rainfall totals in many areas including Sky Harbor have totals that far surpassed 78 and 80 (and are the new records)...the difference is that the bridges over Town Lake are much, much more sturdy and not in the middle of construction (obviously).

But this is a historic storm and there is still a slight chance of more rain today for ya'll in Phoenix and Arizona and snow for the mountains and Flagstaff. They already have 4 feet of snow on the ground and expect a foot or more before all said and done.
fc-- the new Tempe bridge was not yet under construction in '78, which flood I remember specifically because we walked from ASU (after they canceled classes because the old Tempe bridge was "moving" (d'uh, it was doing exactly what it had been engineered to do) to the river to see what was going on. We could HEAR the river, running at 200,000 + cfs at that time, from blocks away. We haven't seen anything like those storms since (78, 80) in terms of rain/runoff down the river. I don't think we are going to see 200,000 + cfs releases from this storm, unless all that snow melts at one time.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
fc-- the new Tempe bridge was not yet under construction in '78, which flood I remember specifically because we walked from ASU (after they canceled classes because the old Tempe bridge was "moving" (d'uh, it was doing exactly what it had been engineered to do) to the river to see what was going on. We could HEAR the river, running at 200,000 + cfs at that time, from blocks away. We haven't seen anything like those storms since (78, 80) in terms of rain/runoff down the river. I don't think we are going to see 200,00) cfs releases from this storm, unless all that snow melts at one time.
I broke up the sentences to indicate that the collapse of the bride under construction occurred separate from the 78, 80 floods. I think it collapse in like 83 or 86??? I haven't scene a report yet for flow past Town Lake, but like I mentioned, infrastructure of dams along the way have prevented the type of damage and flows previously experienced; however, rainfall totals and record levels of precipitation have made those storms look rather tame. Sky Harbor has NEVER recorded a 24 hr period of rainfall over 1" except for yesterday and it was much more than an inch...

Old 01-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I broke up the sentences to indicate that the collapse of the bride under construction occurred separate from the 78, 80 floods. I think it collapse in like 83 or 86???
Later. Collapse in 1993, opened in 1994.

Assuming you are correct that yesterday was the first day over an inch was recorded in 24 hours, that's not all that matters. First of all, what's going to be coming down the river has nothing to do with how much rain fell at Sky Harbor, but how much fell on the watershed. And, in terms of the severity of a storm and flooding and other issues, t's just as, or more, effective to have less than an inch, but still significant amounts of rain over a period of several days.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Later. It finally opened in 1994, according to something I found.
Yep, it was 1993...LOL!

Quote:
In 1993, extensive flooding washed away the framing of the Mill Avenue Bridge, which was under construction. The city completed several projects, including a transportation study and a 13-acre Mesquite Bosque on the north bank. Students from 26 local schools planted more than 2,000 trees and shrubs native to Arizona. (For more information click here: Habitats). With the help of the Arizona Department of Transportation and the Flood Control District of Maricopa County, the city completed Salt River grade modifications. Limited damage to construction in the new channel exemplified the success of the channelization when flooding in 1992 and 1993 had water flows of 132,000 cfs. Crews completed the new Mill Avenue bridge by the end of the year.
Tempe Town Lake on the Rio Salado Historic Timeline

Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM

From what I found, this is not the first time we've had more than an inch in 24 hours. The record is 1.98 inches, March 1983. There's also a reference to 4.98 inches in 1911. But, it doesn't matter. We got a good rain out of this storm, especially with the smalller ones ahead of it.

Now, let's have a little SUN!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM

17,587 posts, read 20,907,992 times
Quote:

LOL, Sky Harbor got a paltry 1.3 inches and that is a record - just for the date. So what? It never
rained so much on Jan 21st before. I am in freakin' awe! Big deal. It is still hardly enough to wash the dust off the tipping bucket.

200000 cfs in the Salt in 1980. What 4000 this time? Maybe it will go up but it will be, at best, a 10 year event versus a 100 year event in 1980. BTW, Mill collapsed in 93 - not 78, 80. And the bridge did not collapse - the falsework did. In 1980, the only bridge left in Phoenix was the Old Mill Avenue bridge and the rail bridge in Tempe. Everything else was closed, collapsed, washed out etc. In 1980, over 20 inches of rain were recorded near Turkey Creek in the Bradshaws. It poured for hours on end, not a few minutes like the frontal passage last nite. This storm is drop in the bucket compared to that one. Don't make me laugh so hard.

Yes, the bridges are better built now and there are many flood control structures in place that limited the damages. They are there because of what happened in 1980. The structures they replaced were built to handle little storms like yesterday's.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 PM

2,270 posts, read 3,669,185 times
Too bad Arizona was not allowed to build more dams to catch all that overflowing river water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area