U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 PM

37,559 posts, read 47,918,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
You do realize you live in a damn desert! 1.3 inches in ONE 24 hour period is nearly 20% of the average annual rainfall total for Sky Harbor and is more than enough to wash dust off a car...

All that was already stated, go back and read the previous posts. We noted the bridge under construction collapsed in 93...And this was not a "10 year" event. Are you serious? Just because the little spot in the Valley (Chandler or where ever you are) didn't get flooded or had as much problems as a wide spread area over the region did, doesn't mean this wasn't a significant and historical storm. The Bradshaws this time around received record snowfall (this was a winter, not monsoon event ponderosa ) and the amount of quick melting snow mass is causing many problems and huge a huge rise in creek, wash, and river levels and one reason for the state of emergency being issued and is still "on call."

That is a reason quoted earlier on this thread for this storm cycle not producing damage that occurred in the past; at least along the Salt River in urban zones.
The reason for the emergency being called is they thought it would be worse than it was. It was a bust. Six feet in Oak Creek? Yawn.

California had some real weather. Arizona, as in so many things, simply disappointed. Don't come here looking for exciting weather, that's for sure. People here are so desperate for anything but dust storms that they have been yacking non-stop on the TV for two days after one sorry inch of rain over 24 hours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,637,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Whether certain areas got significant rain or damage, consider yourself lucky...would you like to be in the house at Cave Creek washing away...short of a road and 2 acres that was behind it...The state is in a state of emergency regardless of personal area rainfalls....look at the roads closed, other places flooded....be thankful if you weren't in it directly... Personally, I have never seen such hype over rain, but have never lived in the desert where this happens. I guess a stupid motorist law goes along with stupid other laws... Especially when people have died in this.
And a child is believed to have been sweep away and considered to have "not survived" the rampaging waters. This is was very serious storm that cost people their lives, homes, possessions, and is taking a toll on the state as it was a very large and powerful event despite some poster's pocket of the Valley not experiencing anything significant in their eyes.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 01-22-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The reason for the emergency being called is they thought it would be worse than it was. It was a bust. Six feet in Oak Creek? Yawn.
Six feet? Under what rock are you living? It crested at a flood state (river stage) of 20.1'! 2" shy of the all time record from the 1960's of 20.3'.

Quote:
California had some real weather. Arizona, as in so many things, simply disappointed. Don't come here looking for exciting weather, that's for sure. People here are so desperate for anything but dust storms that they have been yacking non-stop on the TV for two days after one sorry inch of rain over 24 hours.
Again, just because your pocket of the valley didn't get anything of significance doesn't mean there was not as much destruction and loss of lives as in California. From reports between the states, Arizona may have lost more people and property as the clean up continues and the search for people/survivors ramps up. People aren't "desperate for anything" they are desperate to find their loved ones and to clean up from the storm.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/no...wiraLL_cg.cspx

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/ph...kXeyJB4Vw.cspx

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/ph...BmEJNMR0w.cspx

Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,020,152 times
Quote:
And a child is believed to have been sweep away and considered to have "not survived" the rampaging waters. This is was very serious storm that cost people their lives, homes, possessions, and is taking a toll on the state as it was a very large and powerful event despite some poster's pocket of the Valley not experiencing anything significant in their eyes.
Absolutely, a 6-year-old that was sick enroute to an ER. They decided right away as it was not a rescue, but recovery....my heart goes out to the parents to go through this. Some other people trapped or sunk are just stupid, and others at the mercy of mother nature.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Six feet? Under what rock are you living? It crested at a flood state (river stage) of 20.1'! 2" shy of the all time record from the 1960's of 20.3'.

No, no, no. I think maybe I understand why you are so overstating things now. You really should check your numbers before you toss them around. The number you gave is what was PREDICTED. In fact, the peak was only 6 feet, barely above the normal depth of the creek. That is my point. The reality fell far short of the hype. I also believe the peak you mention occurred in 1993 an event that far eclipsed the drizzle we had this week.

I was really rooting for the water to finish off what mother nature started already and take the Shoppes at Tlaquepacque down the Verde. I will wait. Eventually Mother Earth will reclaim her temple in Sedona.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
No, no, no. I think maybe I understand why you are so overstating things now. The number you gave is what was PREDICTED. In fact, the peak was only 6 feet, barely above the normal depth of the creek. That is my point. The reality fell far short of the hype.
LOL! Wow, you are still attempting to downplay for some reason. 6 feet? Oak Creek reached that level many, many days ago; earlier in the week with the first storms! So, "no, no, no" to you sir...Furthermore, the immense snow melts will cause future need for delaying the end of the "state of emergency" issued by the governor and the last rains/snows are not yet over for Arizona but getting close.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/alerts/az.html#AZZ038.FGZWSWFGZ.222500

Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
LOL! Wow, you are still attempting to downplay for some reason. 6 feet? Oak Creek reached that level many, many days ago; earlier in the week with the first storms! So, "no, no, no" to you sir...Furthermore, the immense snow melts will cause future need for delaying the end of the "state of emergency" issued by the governor and the last rains/snows are not yet over for Arizona but getting close.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/alerts/az.html#AZZ038.FGZWSWFGZ.222500
Don't take it from me. Here's the hydrograph at the station. 6.37 feet.

Advanced

Hydrologic Prediction Service: Flagstaff: Oak Creek near Sedona
(http://ahps2.wrh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgz&gage=oaka3&view=1,1,1,1,1,1 ,1,1 - broken link)

Just noticed, I was correct on the record too, 1993. I think you just make up "facts" as you go.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Don't take it from me. Here's the hydrograph at the station. 6.37 feet.

Advanced

Hydrologic Prediction Service: Flagstaff: Oak Creek near Sedona
(http://ahps2.wrh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgz&gage=oaka3&view=1,1,1,1,1,1 ,1,1 - broken link)

Just noticed, I was correct on the record too, 1993. I think you just make up "facts" as you go.
If you read the NWS link I posted there are flood warnings and advisories that indicate differently and of future snow melt, rain that will cause more problems. Both the links you and I posted are from the NWS but one is a "prediction" despite that, I find the differences odd.

Like Centennial Wash overrunning its banks and flooded a town; 150 people evacuated but the NWS "prediction service" doesn't list this...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
If you read the NWS link I posted there are flood warnings and advisories that indicate differently and of future snow melt, rain that will cause more problems. Both the links you and I posted are from the NWS but one is a "prediction" despite that, I find the differences odd.

Like Centennial Wash overrunning its banks and flooded a town; 150 people evacuated but the NWS "prediction service" doesn't list this...
The only thing that is "odd" is that they were predicting a peak over 3 times what happened. Obviously the rains did not materialize in the amounts predicted. The link I gave you (blue line) is the official station data that will be in the record books. Take it as gospel.

Centennial wash floods Wenden pretty regularly - maybe every five years on average. The whole place is pretty much in the wash. It is nothing new to the people who live there or to those who pay attention to these things. There were flood warnings out for Wenden early on in the event.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
The only thing that is "odd" is that they were predicting a peak over 3 times what happened. Obviously the rains did not materialize in the amounts predicted. The link I gave you (blue line) is the official station data that will be in the record books. Take it as gospel.

Centennial wash floods Wenden pretty regularly - maybe every five years on average. The whole place is pretty much in the wash. It is nothing new to the people who live there or to those who pay attention to these things. There were flood warnings out for Wenden early on in the event.
Every FIVE years... Ok, I think this is a ridiculous conversation at this point since the "gospel" you posted has many inaccuracies and doesn't list some of the flood stage and above levels reached by many streams, rivers, creeks, washes...etc.

Also, the rain over snow levels were previously predicted as being much heavier; obviously it is still snowing and rain has not occurred; when it melts expect even MORE problems...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area