U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,248,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Waterfalls cascading over the cliffs around Canyon Lake, defying gravity; January 21st
Storm prompts Gov. Brewer to declare state of emergency - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

Looks amazing despite being extremely dangerous...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 PM

17 posts, read 120,780 times
In my opinion the most beautiful time to see the desert is after a quick heavy rain due to all of the sudden waterfalls.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 AM

20,460 posts, read 24,096,887 times
My guess is you folks are going to have a very beautiful spring flower season.

Up here in Seattle we are on track for the warmest January ever - not warm by Arizona standards or course, but pretty mild nonetheless - I don't know that we've had record high days, but temps have been reliably warmer than average by 5-10 degrees for much of the month.

Ken

Old 01-22-2010, 12:55 AM

3,966 posts, read 9,844,657 times
Cool and not to be nit picky, but how does a waterfall falling towards earth defy gravity...?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:30 AM

683 posts, read 2,475,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
My guess is you folks are going to have a very beautiful spring flower season.
Hard to say. For a really good year we need rain in the Fall to get the seeds to germinate. It's been really dry up until this week so the plants haven't even started growing yet. Plants like the Brittlebush should do well though.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 AM

17 posts, read 120,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Cool and not to be nit picky, but how does a waterfall falling towards earth defy gravity...?
There was not a whole lot of info describing that picture was there? I'm guessing by what I can see in the picture that the wind was blowing so hard up the escaropment that it appeared as if the water was falling up instead of down even though you know it wasn't.... kind of like when the wind blows so hard backwards across a wave that it takes the top of the wave off and blows it back out to sea.
Just my guess.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Nimbus View Post
There was not a whole lot of info describing that picture was there? I'm guessing by what I can see in the picture that the wind was blowing so hard up the escaropment that it appeared as if the water was falling up instead of down even though you know it wasn't.... kind of like when the wind blows so hard backwards across a wave that it takes the top of the wave off and blows it back out to sea.
Just my guess.
Also, if you look at the picture closely you'll notice the precipice is sloping upward, indicating that some of the water may be flowing slightly uphill due to the sheer amount of water and wind...

Old 01-22-2010, 03:56 PM

2,325 posts, read 6,606,668 times
Don't get your hopes up for new growth, we still have to get through freezing frosts in February which will kill off a lot of the new growth. My ash trees have new leaves coming out all over but they usually drop again if the temperature drops below 30.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM

The lovely thing about many desert plants, including wildflowers, aren't that they germinate but that they lie dormant until warmth arrives with proper amounts of water having seeped to the root tap levels; which obviously they have. But like Roosevelt wrote, it is only January and the water can flow further down into the table, things can freeze, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: