Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,895 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot on this forum but wanted to make a post for myself.

My husband is being transfered to the Phoenix area and we are all moving out there by March. We have two small children, one who will start school in the fall. Just wanted to know if there were areas to avoid and if there are any that really shine for family oriented, safe, areas.

I have heard great things of Chandler, Gilbert, and Surprise. I am in the process of researching those areas now. If anyone has something interesting or important to add please feel free!

I don't want to be redundant with my post, so if there is a place I can go to see some general info, I will be glad to visit there. . .just wanted some personal comments from some people who actually live in the area already.
Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
You can use the search function to find all sorts of threads about each of those cities. One thing to consider is where your husband will be working. This is a very spread out Valley, and Surprise is essentially 40-50 miles diagionally across the Valley from Chandler and Gilbert. Commutes here for many people can be quite long.

They are all good family areas, so you need to look at what else you want to be close to in terms of other amenities. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,895 times
Thank you, I will do that.
My husband is going to be all around Phoenix. . .his office is home but has customers all over.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 AM

845 posts, read 2,326,498 times
You might be a good candidate for the Central Avenue area, north of Bethany Home Rd. Madison Elementary SD is top notch. Older homes, bigger yards, good schools, central location and IT'S NOT IN THE SPRAWL. I just moved back here from NoVa, and purchased a condo in an affordable area near 23rd Ave. & Northern.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
I have read a lot on this forum but wanted to make a post for myself.

My husband is being transfered to the Phoenix area and we are all moving out there by March. We have two small children, one who will start school in the fall. Just wanted to know if there were areas to avoid and if there are any that really shine for family oriented, safe, areas.

I have heard great things of Chandler, Gilbert, and Surprise. I am in the process of researching those areas now. If anyone has something interesting or important to add please feel free!

I don't want to be redundant with my post, so if there is a place I can go to see some general info, I will be glad to visit there. . .just wanted some personal comments from some people who actually live in the area already.
Thanks in advance!!
It depends on what you are looking for: if an enclave similar to Arlington/Alexandra (at 1/2 the price); I would look at Willo (Central Phx), Maple Ash in Tempe or even the Evergreen neighborhood here in Mesa. All of them have things like Craftsman homes, shade trees, grid pattern streets, sidewalks and NO winter weather except for a little frost here and there. Otherwise, the areas you posted would be acceptable.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM

713 posts, read 1,460,647 times
get into Mesa, Scottsdale, Gilbert, or QueenCreek. all nice/newer areas on the east/north parts around Phoenix.... lots of short sales and foreclosures going on, so now is a good time to pick up a home cheap....

Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 PM

61 posts, read 191,539 times
I agree with Home_Kid those are the best areas to get good schools and great home prices.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,091 times
Goodyear could be a good choice for you.

Goodyear, AZ - Official Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area