Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times

Advertisements

Or even the one that AZRiver mentioned - the wigwam

I played the blue course tuesday - cost $39 on a walk in tee time for 18 inclusive of cart - play wasn't rushed or anything due to crowds

and then there are courses like Aguila - a very reasonable muni and if you want to play the 9 hole par 3 a winter tee time will run you all of $7

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Yeah, I'm not really a golfer but I'll gladly bet you whatever you want staight up and you can pick the course...lol...I golf a lot but mostly private for the last several years...and a lot of what you are saying now in regards golf is due to the sucky economy and especially the even worse service oriented economy in AZ today...I mostly lived in N. Scottsdale and back 'in the day' when times were 'good' and reasonable rate tee times at prime time on weekends in the summer were not easy to get and were pretty expensive...regardless, it was pretty miserable starting a round any time later than 10ish.

AZ courses are truly nice but again it is a matter of what you want...I'm partial to courses with lots of tall trees, shade and water...not a whole lot of those in N. Scottsdale or really anywhere out there...Ocotillo comes to mind though...or Papago or ....

Again, I'm just saying in the three different neighborhoods I lived in over 17 years I drove or ran past those perfectly manicured grass patches and rarely saw anything on them except dogs doing their business mainly because the sun is SO brutal for so long out there.
It was harder in the late 90's prior to the on-line shopping and reservations becoming mainstream but in the last 9 years at least, it's been relatively easy to book a tee time here due to the on-line reservation sites and the golf course associations.

The summers have always been cheap. There is no way you will convince me that you were paying high prices to get tees time in the summer. That just doesn't makes sense from a logical viewpoint. The snowbirds leave and they make up the majority of the golfers particularly at the upscale clubs. It is much easier and cheaper to play golf in the summer even during the boom time.

There are more golf courses now than when you lived here. Due to the increased supply of courses, players have more options and thus courses have more competition. As the city has grown, many undeveloped areas installed beautiful and championship quality courses so people are not in such a hurry to play those north Scottsdale courses as they were 10 years ago when you were here. Golf continues to thrive here. A professional golfing academy board school was established here in the last 10 years which is similar to the types found in Florida.

Regarding your last paragraph, I think you will observe this phenomenon all over the country. Kids are more involved in organized sports and activities. It's rare that you will see kids just randomly playing stickball in the street or playing backyard football. There are so many types of camps. And as I mentioned, a lot of the kids play in hockey leagues in the summer or skate. This is why you didn't see a lot of kids on the street.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-04-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 PM

371 posts, read 1,008,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
No, your not going to find courses with tall trees in N. Scottsdale. Did you ever play any courses like Moon Valley C.C., Phoenix C.C., or Paradise Valley C.C.? How about Gainey Ranch and McCormick Ranch? Those courses look like they were transplanted from the midwest. What courses did you play when you lived here?
I know that as I lived in N. Scottsdale for over 10 years...but I couldn't help but dream...

I have played Moon (very, very average course and definitely not worth the membership fees...plus the range itself is horrible...crappy quality balls, etc.)...haven't played Phoenix CC but I did like PV.

Gainey is a typical resort course...nothing special and pretty easy but it is lush...plus Barkley hangs there so you know it can't be that hard.

McCormick Ranch is kind of a goat ranch too most of the year but I'm pretty spoiled...

I mostly played Eagle Mtn, Sunridge, We Ko Pa, Troon, Grayhawk, DC Ranch, Silverleaf, Estancia, Dove Valley, TPC, Kierland, etc. when I lived down in the Valley...was also a member at a private club in Payson which I sorely miss.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Or even the one that AZRiver mentioned - the wigwam

I played the blue course tuesday - cost $39 on a walk in tee time for 18 inclusive of cart - play wasn't rushed or anything due to crowds

and then there are courses like Aguila - a very reasonable muni and if you want to play the 9 hole par 3 a winter tee time will run you all of $7
Played Wigwam too but it is in BFE from where I lived and isn't in the greatest of shape for a lot of the year...again, I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to course conditions.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It was harder in the late 90's prior to the on-line shopping and reservations becoming mainstream but in the last 9 years at least, it's been relatively easy to book a tee time here due to the on-line reservation sites and the golf course associations.

The summers have always been cheap. There is no way you will convince me that you were paying high prices to get tees time in the summer. That just doesn't makes sense from a logical viewpoint. The snowbirds leave and they make up the majority of the golfers particularly at the upscale clubs. It is much easier and cheaper to play golf in the summer even during the boom time.

There are more golf courses now than when you lived here. Due to the increased supply of courses, players have more options and thus courses have more competition. As the city has grown, many undeveloped areas installed beautiful and championship quality courses so people are not in such a hurry to play those north Scottsdale courses as they were 10 years ago when you were here. Golf continues to thrive here. A professional golfing academy board school was established here in the last 10 years which is similar to the types found in Florida.

Regarding your last paragraph, I think you will observe this phenomenon all over the country. Kids are more involved in organized sports and activities. It's rare that you will see kids just randomly playing stickball in the street or playing backyard football. There are so many types of camps. And as I mentioned, a lot of the kids play in hockey leagues in the summer or skate. This is why you didn't see a lot of kids on the street.
Well, I just moved away last summer...and whatever I remember playing close to $100 a round or so for higher end courses in N. Scottsale for early morning tee times in the 2005 area which was the last year I lived full time in Scottsdale before moving north...no big deal and not worth arguing.

Heck, just last summer I remember paying around 70 bucks or so to play We Ko Pa...I don't usually play the goat ranches where yeah it is cheap.

As for kids I'm relating them more to the misery that is Valley weather...it sucks that they live in a state that requires them to play in activities that have to be indoors pretty much exclusively for a lot of the year...I would have hated that...practically their entire summer vacations have to be spent in AC.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
zox

344 posts, read 478,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Exactly!
I lived my childhood in Wisconsin and although winters were cold, I still was able to be comfortable outside "year around day or night". All I needed to do was wear extra clothes in the winter. I coulnd't imagine spending summer vacation here as a child unless I was a computer/video game geek.
I grew up in an area that had hot summers and freezing cold winters. During two-a-day football practice in August, it was very hot and we used to sweat like crazy. But as bad as those days were, when November came around, we would pray for those August days because there is nothing you can do to stop freezing cold. We wore thick sweatshirts under our pads and tried to cover every piece of our body and it was still miserable. We used to buy those hot packs that you could keep in your fanny pack. When freezing wind blows in your face and then it starts to rain later, that is a pain I fondly remember. Our summers were hot but if you had cold drinks and some shade, you were fine. I had no trouble standing and playing a game for 3 hours in August and September but when November and December rolled around, it was just hell. I remember players would rub vaseline petroleum jelly on their ears and nose so to avoid frost bite. I've always been more of a summer guy I suppose. I can always engage in water sports and I never felt the heat. But even when we went skiing in the winter, the chairlifts could be quite painful.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Well, I just moved away last summer...and whatever I remember playing close to $100 a round or so for higher end courses in N. Scottsale for early morning tee times in the 2005 area which was the last year I lived full time in Scottsdale before moving north...no big deal and not worth arguing.

Heck, just last summer I remember paying around 70 bucks or so to play We Ko Pa...I don't usually play the goat ranches where yeah it is cheap.

As for kids I'm relating them more to the misery that is Valley weather...it sucks that they live in a state that requires them to play in activities that have to be indoors pretty much exclusively for a lot of the year...I would have hated that...practically their entire summer vacations have to be spent in AC.
Oh please in worst case scenario, it is just the reverse here from the Midwest or where ever "up" north you moved to. Here not as many out running around in the summer, there not too many baseball, football, soccer, wiffle ball players in -20° windchill or the snowdrifts.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Oh please in worst case scenario, it is just the reverse here from the Midwest or where ever "up" north you moved to. Here not as many out running around in the summer, there not too many baseball, football, soccer, wiffle ball players in -20° windchill or the snowdrifts.
Oh please...lol...how about this scenario...take winter in Chicago and summer in Phoenix...go outside for a couple hours at 3PM to play ice hockey on a pond in Chicago...go outside for a couple hours at 3PM to play basketball in Phoenix.

Well, the person in Chicago as long as he has proper clothes and is playing on thick ice pretty much has zero chance of expiring...on the other hand the poor sap in Phoenix has a very good chance of being in an obituary.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Oh please...lol...how about this scenario...take winter in Chicago and summer in Phoenix...go outside for a couple hours at 3PM to play ice hockey on a pond in Chicago...go outside for a couple hours at 3PM to play basketball in Phoenix.
Do it all the time, in fact I continue running OUTSIDE LOL in the summer during the evenings or mornings and there are plenty of people. If you've ever been to the very nice Encanto courts (basketball, racquetball, tennis) there are often times when it is hard to get a game in because of the crowds and these courts are ALL outdoors. Not everyone is a heat wuss...

Quote:
Well, the person in Chicago as long as he has proper clothes and is playing on thick ice pretty much has zero chance of expiring...on the other hand the poor sap in Phoenix has a very good chance of being in an obituary.
Actually, much easier to remain healthy and playing for a long time in the heat. Like you say of the cold, one just needs "proper clothes" as in don't wear pants and hoodies. HYDRATE! Properly remaining hydrated will keep a person going in the heat for a very long time;even longer than in the cold.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Do it all the time, in fact I continue running OUTSIDE LOL in the summer during the evenings or mornings and there are plenty of people. If you've ever been to the very nice Encanto courts (basketball, racquetball, tennis) there are often times when it is hard to get a game in because of the crowds and these courts are ALL outdoors. Not everyone is a heat wuss...

Actually, much easier to remain healthy and playing for a long time in the heat. Like you say of the cold, one just needs "proper clothes" as in don't wear pants and hoodies. HYDRATE! Properly remaining hydrated will keep a person going in the heat for a very long time;even longer than in the cold.
Did you READ what I said? Or did you go to one of those great Arizona public schools...LOL

I said 3PM...NOT morning or evening.

And proper clothes for playing outside in Phoenix when sun is up wouldn't even be naked...anybody doing anything strenous in those conditions is an idiot...all sane people in 'hell' do everything early in the AM or after sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area