Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post

People won't think of me as acting suspicious?
just act like a tourist and everything will be fine!!....I saw one just the other day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM

123 posts, read 354,293 times
You can find them everywhere, especially north in Carefree area

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Quote:
Am I allowed to just drive into these natural parks, walk around, and snap pictures?
That's what tourists usually do

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,817 times

This is the biggest one (maybe) at Thunderbird Recreation Area. If you are close its worth checking out for the views. Most trails take 45-90min.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Am I allowed to just drive into these natural parks, walk around, and snap pictures?

Do I need to pay a fee? Could I park anywhere?

People won't think of me as acting suspicious?
I'm up in Cave Creek and we have tons of them. Like in our front yards. Cave Creek is a touristy town. Lots of small shops and restaurants. Come on up! (But watch your speed. It's one big speed-trap. And you'll see a lot of motorcyclists. Not to worry. Unless doctors and accountants on bikes worry you.)

They just grow wild in these parts. I often see a car pulled over to the side of the road with families taking pictures in front of them. If you're in an area that's not a park, just find a safe place to pull over and park.

I've been trying to remember if there are any actually at the stadium where you'll be.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,137 times
While you are at it....go up to Flagstaff and see if you can find a pine tree.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM

162 posts, read 430,559 times
another area that I think has some very nice specimens is in those hills around Lake Pleasant. If you go straight north from Peoria you run into Lake Pleasant (about 15-20 miles north), and the hills around it are just loaded with big Saguaros, not just some here and there, but almost like a forest. Also Carefree area is another good area. Yes you can see them at the White Tanks Regional park as well (drive west on Olive from Grand Ave) and just keep going. The road goes straight into the park. Check out the Waterfall trail. It's a nice little trail that ends in a narrow canyon that is so rewarding (with cool shade) when you're hiking on a hot day, and if you're really lucky and it rained recently, there might even be water there LOL
I know you can see Saguaros just about everywhere, but I still prefer the idea of getting out of the city to enjoy the desert. Have a great time in Phoenix.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM

963 posts, read 2,301,920 times
If you want to get a sense of the amazing range of cactus types that grow in the Sonoran Desert, visit the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. To a New Yorker like myself it was a real eye opener that really educated me in the amazing diversity of Sonoran Desert plants. You must visit! It is a real treat, especially if this is your first exposure to the attractions of the Sonoran Desert. The Desert Botanical Garden is located among the red rock buttes of Papago Park which is a visual treat in itself. That also is a must see if this is your first visit to Phoenix. To my eye, it was like stepping into an alien landscape.

The top picture is from the Desert Botanical Garden, the bottom from Papago Park. Enoy your visit!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 PM

284 posts, read 700,712 times
If you're flying in, you'll probably see some as you leave the airport - be careful, don't have an accident! Phoenix parks are free - North Mountain, Piestewa Peak and South Mountain would be good places to see saguaros.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,060 times
I'll be flying into Sky Harbor on March 27.

What's the climate like in Phoenix in late March?

People say that it gets cool in the desert at night, and that I should bring a light jacket.

I'm assuming it's not going to rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area