U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
zox

344 posts, read 94,816 times
I spent part of my childhood in Wisconsin (Osh Kosh for any Wisconsin residents on here). We played in the snow and loved missing school but it certainly depended on the weather conditions whether we played outside in the snow. It snowed all the time there, that doesn't mean we played in it every time it snowed. We didn't play in it when the sun went down because it was too cold. Some days were so cold that we were not allowed to go outside even if we wanted to. There were only a few hours each day you could play outside. I don't see how that is any different here with regards to children playing outside in the summer. We also didn't have a place like Sedona or the mountains to escape the cold in the winter. Last summer, I spent some weekends to Sedona, Prescott and Flagstaff. It's great that you can drive there for the weekend. I suppose I might be a little strange but I feel that shade makes a signicant impact on the heat. I don't seem to notice the heat at night. I was suprised it was 102 at night one time because it felt like upper 80's to me

Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 PM

430 posts, read 926,064 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I went back and took out the questionable part that could be considered insulting, but the rest is just fine as someone only posts repeatedly to harp on the negatives is trolling in mind and just baiting a battle.
appreciate that!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 AM

562 posts, read 984,899 times
Quote:
I spent part of my childhood in Wisconsin (Osh Kosh for any Wisconsin residents on here). We played in the snow and loved missing school but it certainly depended on the weather conditions whether we played outside in the snow. It snowed all the time there, that doesn't mean we played in it every time it snowed. We didn't play in it when the sun went down because it was too cold. Some days were so cold that we were not allowed to go outside even if we wanted to. There were only a few hours each day you could play outside. I don't see how that is any different here with regards to children playing outside in the summer. We also didn't have a place like Sedona or the mountains to escape the cold in the winter. Last summer, I spent some weekends to Sedona, Prescott and Flagstaff. It's great that you can drive there for the weekend. I suppose I might be a little strange but I feel that shade makes a signicant impact on the heat. I don't seem to notice the heat at night. I was suprised it was 102 at night one time because it felt like upper 80's to me
That's funny. I guess we were just different as country folks. We had a huge closet full of winter clothes and it really didn't matter how cold it was. I remember -60 windchill and still playing outside. A set of insulated coveralls/snowmobile suit, thick mittens, thick socks/unsulated boots, thick hat and hood = good to go! I would be outside for hours wandering around on the farm, in the woods, on the ice at the river, etc. I even remember riding my three wheeler around in those temps. Going to the bathroom was the only thing that was a pain.

Arizona is neat having the mountains to retreat too in the summer but that's usually only an option on the weekends. I'll actually be in Crown King this weekend with friends ATVing in the snow.

I can handle 100 degree highs in AZ, when it actually cools down to 70 or so at night. It's the 110+ daytime/95 @ 5:00 am stuff that really makes me cranky.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 AM

56 posts, read 99,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Ever heard of a swimming pool or a water park? And how many times does it snow in cold weather cities in which the next day it's nice and sunny. It's not like Show Low or Flagstaff in which you have snow on the ground and it's 40 degrees outside and sunny. When it snows there, you are also getting a lot of wind and rain. Your little kiddies aren't going to be playing in that.

Ok, so its 115 degrees out.. you have to spend like 1 hour slathering on sunscreen, run out to the car turn the a/c on so the kids won't fry on the way there.. and then when they get to the pool the kids are going to fry in the sun.
That doesn't sound like fun to me at ALL.

See, as a person who does not like hot weather, what makes you think I want to be OUTSIDE when it's hot? I shop once the sun goes down in the summer. I am one of those people who goes out in a parasol with long sleeves on in the summer.
I don't want to burn.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 AM

56 posts, read 99,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Wow. You REALLY do not belong here do you?
It's one thing when it's 100 degrees during the day and then cools down to like 80 or less at night, like it does in California.. but here.. it says at like 95 into the wee morning.
I can't stand having the a/c on 24/7..

Seriously, I don't think I am the odd one out here for not liking that. I enjoy moderate climates, Phoenix is the extreme.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:17 AM

11,193 posts, read 9,161,150 times
Reminiscing is a great way for me to keep cool in summer.

Washing off all that bug spray before going to bed at night, checking every inch of my body for woodticks. Dodging mosquito's. Dodging gnats. And all that itching and itching.

Never being able to plan a picnic days in advance.

What else?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:13 AM

21,157 posts, read 25,723,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1985 View Post
It's one thing when it's 100 degrees during the day and then cools down to like 80 or less at night, like it does in California.. but here.. it says at like 95 into the wee morning.

Seriously, I don't think I am the odd one out here for not liking that. I enjoy moderate climates, Phoenix is the extreme.
Extreme climate in one direction only; our winters are pretty decent. And unlike some place like Wisconsin; one need not shovel heat.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 AM

562 posts, read 984,899 times
Quote:

You got it!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM

845 posts, read 1,419,869 times
a lot of undesirables will be off the streets, though.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM
YAZ

6,121 posts, read 6,357,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
a lot of undesirables will be off the streets, though.
Noticed the panhandlers in the wintertime here, eh?

Gotta love it when they approach you while you're pumping gas.....doesn't seem to happen much when it tops 110.....

Did they die?

Are they hangin' in the shade?

Nope.

They went back to Cali or Seattle......

Before y'all flame me for bashin' on the homeless, my angst is directed at the able bodied young men that have a hankerin' for dope. That wide eyed glazed over look they have is unmistakable.

Surf's up in June!

See ya in November....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area