Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have never lived in Wisconsin or visited there but I've lived in Michigan and I suppose it's sorta the same? I have also lived in Phoenix and in Fairbanks. I'll take a Phoenix summer over a Fairbanks winter ANY time. My eyelashes don't melt in Phoenix summers but they sure did freeze in Fairbanks winter! They were the only thing uncovered!
I would also have to choose Phoenix over Fairbanks. There are actually a lot of people I know in the military that do love Alaska life though. I was at the Air Force base by Fairbanks for the month of June in 1993 and 1998 and thought it was neat when it was still light out at 3:00 am. I do think I would be quite depressed in the winter and would not want to live there.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,378 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixDude
Where were you in Wyoming Darrell? I went to school and UWYO in Laramie. Great school, great people, crappy weather... really crappy weather. All in all I really liked my time.

Quote:
We lived in Gillette for 34 years. My youngest son graduated from UW a year or so ago as a teacher. When were you there?
I lived in Laramie for a year when I was 10 years old and hated it, but that was mainly because I moved from the country in Wisconsin to the city.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I would also have to choose Phoenix over Fairbanks. There are actually a lot of people I know in the military that do love Alaska life though. I was at the Air Force base by Fairbanks for the month of June in 1993 and 1998 and thought it was neat when it was still light out at 3:00 am. I do think I would be quite depressed in the winter and would not want to live there.
I got to know quite a few military families while I was there. My ex worked for BLM and their offices/barracks/etc were based at Wainwright. Some loved AK and planned to either stay after retirement or come back. Some tolerated it and deemed it "okay". Personally I loved AK and since I spent the vast majority of time alone I did a lot of road trips and sightseeing. I was there 1991-92. Just ahead of you.

It took some getting used to it being light so much. I got a big kick out of the idea that I drove home from work at 11 PM every day, had to wear sunglasses and saw tons of people out on the golf courses and ball fields. I swear, people do NOT sleep in summer! I worked with tourists from the cruise ships and boy, were they cranky! At night because they were worn out from all the travel and in the morning because they didn't sleep well. Daylight at 3 AM is great if you don't have to get up at 5 AM to get ready for work! I taped poster board onto my BR windows.

The third day we were there we had a 5.3 earthquake. Welcome to AK!! LOL

Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; what was that crack about? I left the '4 season' climate when I was age 20 since I hate cold-----------which explodes your theory.
Whatever you and a few exceptions have to tell yourself.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I always tell people that they should be careful what they wish for because they just might get it. I just hope that if you do move to PHX that you are 100% ready for what will greet you come summertime.
Likewise, people should think twice before they think the grass is greener on the other side. We've had a few members of this forum do just that. They left Phoenix only to return and realize the summers here are not that bad in lieu of the harsh winters in most places. We are spoiled here. Talk to anyone on the East Coast right now and they will gladly take harsh summers over having their lives turn into a disaster zone. Like I said, heat might be uncomfortable but it's not going to
1. cause power outages
2. close roads
3. shut down airports
4. close schools
5. close places of work
6. cause car accidents on the roads(ice, sleet)
7 cause people to slip(better salt the driveway and front porch)
8. cause plants to die (don't recall covering my plants in the summer)

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-11-2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 PM

56 posts, read 236,680 times
I can't stand the heat. 75 is almost too hot for me. I agree with the OP. I'd move back to California but it's TOO expensive. For right now I'd rather suffer through the heat and live cheaply in Arizona.

I honestly think people who enjoy the heat are nuts.. I don't understand them. And the heat is very traumatic. At least in the snow kids can go out and play/sled in it. You can't go out and play when its 100 degrees, and we all know it gets way hotter than that. There's only so much sunscreen you can put on.
And you can tell the people who have lived here a long time because their skin looks like leather. Cold cloudy climates people have better skin. I see more negatives to living in this heat than anywhere else.
But that's just my opinion. But with that said, I am still living here because DH has a job here and having a roof over my head is my #1 priority in this crappy economy.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1985 View Post
You can't go out and play when its 100 degrees
Wow. You REALLY do not belong here do you?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,031 times
Default really don't matter what the posters intention was..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderosa View Post
why don't you just go away with these weather posts and your carping and complaining about things you can't change and things (dry heat in late spring- early fall) most of us find comfortable? It is what it is. I don't know if you Mod cut just like to stir the pot, or what. But if you don't like it so much - move! We get it and your incessant whining is getting really old. Try to find something else to comment about for a while.
what i would love to know is how do you get away with insulting anyone you want to on here? Most would have infractions like crazy, i got one once for telling a poster it wasent nice to step over a homelss person, lol whats your secret? You seem immune.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 02-11-2010 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1985 View Post
At least in the snow kids can go out and play/sled in it. You can't go out and play when its 100 degrees, and we all know it gets way hotter than that. There's only so much sunscreen you can put on.
Ever heard of a swimming pool or a water park? And how many times does it snow in cold weather cities in which the next day it's nice and sunny. It's not like Show Low or Flagstaff in which you have snow on the ground and it's 40 degrees outside and sunny. When it snows there, you are also getting a lot of wind and rain. Your little kiddies aren't going to be playing in that.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
what i would love to know is how do you get away with insulting anyone you want to on here? Most would have infractions like crazy, i got one once for telling a poster it wasent nice to step over a homelss person, lol whats your secret? You seem immune.
I went back and took out the questionable part that could be considered insulting, but the rest is just fine as someone only posts repeatedly to harp on the negatives is trolling in mind and just baiting a battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area