U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 AM

17,434 posts, read 20,654,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
That is why everything is beige here.
Yes. Cherry furnishings are a like a black car around here - definitely not advised unless you can live with the dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 AM

3,089 posts, read 3,012,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrae View Post
I never knew living in the desert would be this incredibly dusty! In order to keep my house half way clean I have to dust my cherry wood furnishing and clean the floors nearly every other day. On top of the dust we have a lab puppy whose hair is shedding everywhere. Right now I am using a small shark vac on my tile which works well, but I am really struggling with the carpets and wood. Does anyone have any pointers on vacuums or dusty tips that would help out here?
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Even after replacing carpet with tile and getting the ductwork cleaned, no improvement. I have a Collie, and that is not helping either, but it is the actual dust (I also have dark wood furnishings) that drives me nuts, I could dust every day, if I had the time, and not get a real handle on it!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 AM

641 posts, read 1,509,528 times
I live in Arizona City where the dust is horrid.

I use a steam mop on my tile, and that gets the dirt off the floor better than anything I have used.

We put grass in our backyard and that cut it in half.

I also use a air purifier with heppa filter. You need one of those old big holmes machines. Not the dinky little ones they have now. You can probably find one on ebay.

Cherry wood, nothing works. Have to dust it every day. I have 5 cats and 4 dogs. I use a Eureka capture vacuum that is made for pet hair. It is WONDERFUL. It gets all the hair out of everything. With my old ones, I would go to use my carpet cleaner and all kinds of gobbs of hair came out. When I got this, then go to carpet clean there is none. It gets all the hair, and it puts the hair in a nice ball in the canister. The attachment also gets it out of the furniture. That thing has some serious suction and it does NOT blow the dust back out into the air like other vacuum cleaners. That helped a lot with my allergies too.

If you have blinds do not use the metal ones, they collect dust like no tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM

8,673 posts, read 9,932,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoga View Post
I have four kids, two labs, and no carpeting--all hardwood floors. The kids and I swiffer every single day. Here's a recipe for reusable swiffer-type cloths:

Cut cotton rags into the same size and shape as shape as store bought, disposable swiffer cloths. Old t-shirts work really well. Make a solution with one part lemon oil to two parts hot water. Soak the rags in the solution, wring out, and hang dry. Store the rags in a plastic container or metal can and use as needed. Sweep or dust with it, shake it out, and use it again and again. I get two to three uses out of each rag, then rinse with water, hang dry, and use twice more before having to repeat the oil and water treatment.
Thanks! I am going to try this...I can't count how many of those things I go through

Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 AM

21,969 posts, read 12,770,324 times
I love Arizona: People have multi-million dollar homes (not mine) and drive on dirt roads to reach them. Cough, cough.

My dust is white and puffy and I'm pretty sure you could stuff pillows with it.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:06 PM

8,574 posts, read 10,811,421 times
I just dust twice a day. I have two large English Mastiffs and that adds to the workload. I vacuum twice a day as well, once in the early morning and then at night before sitting down for the evening. I can see the dust coming in from the construction work across the street. Just part of living here.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM

22 posts, read 72,843 times
Thanks everyone. Guess I am just going to have to get used to it for the most part. I do plan on getting a pet hair vaccuum to help with the dog hair at the least. We are also looking for new blinds for the entire house - thinking about faux wood.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 PM

38 posts, read 48,209 times
I haven't tried them myself but I've heard good things about those little robot vacuum cleaners. Wouldn't help with the furniture but might make the floors easier to deal with.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:05 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,633,309 times
Waaaay back in 1950 people would leave their windows open about 4 inches so the swamp cooler would cool every room because there was no duct work, just the cooler in one window of the house. You should have seen the people racing home to shut their windows when a dust storm was coming.

I now have a house that is totally sealed with 2 AC units and I still get dust even though I live in an area of Phoenix that is all winter lawns and trees. If the house has that much dust I wonder about my lungs.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:13 PM

812 posts, read 1,588,509 times
We have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 1 teenager and mostly dark furniture. I have learned to live with the coating of dust that comes back within an hour after I have dusted and vacuumed and washed and polished. Now I get to the point where if something makes a clean spot then I do the rest of the surface... I kid....but that's how I feel sometimes. Anyway, I'm originally from Boston where you only had to dust and clean once a week, usually on Saturday. And before moving here about 20 years ago I had never experienced finding dust bunnies the size of another pet at least a couple of times a week. So now I have a plaque on the wall near the entrance door that says "Beware, this house guarded by dust bunnies!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area