U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:24 AM

39 posts, read 83,625 times

Advertisements

I came across a nice house for rent located at Scottsdale rd. and Pinnacle peak rd. and was hoping to see how the commute will be to downtown phoenix. I will be going to work at 6 am and returning at 6 pm. When I used the google map, it came up to 24 miles and 33 minutes but I assume it maybe a lot worse in traffic...I am interested to buy in this area and want to see if I can handle the commute.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 PM

7,250 posts, read 6,650,151 times
Hi Indy, your commute at 6am will be cake! You'll be zooming to work with no difficulty. On your way home, figure about 45-60 minutes. Once you get off on Scottsdale Rd and head North up to Pinnacle Peak Rd, its pretty much smooth sailing. (Assuming you would be taking the 10 to 51 to 101 route). On Friday's your travel time home will be much easier on your way home - rush hour generally starts on Friday's by 1:45-2pm and is generally moving well by 6 going in your direction.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 AM

4,403 posts, read 3,635,523 times
24 miles from work to home. 2 gallons of gas a day. The people of Phoenix thank you for your contribution to our pollution and traffic problems. Also, don't forget that Scottsdale Road is scheduled for construction north of the 101 (don't know when, but it's coming). I'm sorry I can't be enthusiastic. I care deeply about my city and this saddens me. There's lots of nice areas around downtown that would put you in the center of things (and probably cost less, too).

Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
24 miles from work to home. 2 gallons of gas a day. The people of Phoenix thank you for your contribution to our pollution and traffic problems. Also, don't forget that Scottsdale Road is scheduled for construction north of the 101 (don't know when, but it's coming). I'm sorry I can't be enthusiastic. I care deeply about my city and this saddens me. There's lots of nice areas around downtown that would put you in the center of things (and probably cost less, too).
WOW. I hope to God that Indy does not get the impression that all of us here have an attitude like Mayor MHouse. So unwelcoming and so rough. Moderator cut: Don't get personal, please.

Indy, I hope you have a HUUUUUUGE family with SUV's.

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 05-30-2007 at 01:15 AM..

Old 05-30-2007, 10:12 AM

8,574 posts, read 10,811,421 times
Only 2 gallons?

Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM

4,403 posts, read 3,635,523 times
Apparently, it's rude to offer someone alternatives to an unnecessary 90+ minute daily commute that adds up to 12,000 miles a year. It's also considered rude to offer to help reduce the traffic and pollution in the valley by suggesting that one might enjoy living closer to work. Those things are rude. But it's OK to encourage one to drive huge SUVs which kick up dust, block the sun, and waste a limited resource primarily supplied by hostile foreign interests.

Got it.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
WOW. I hope to God that Indy does not get the impression that all of us here have an attitude like Mayor MHouse. So unwelcoming and so rough. Moderator cut: Don't get personal, please.

Indy, I hope you have a HUUUUUUGE family with SUV's.

Thank you for your response. I am still trying to find a safe, fun place to call home.
Other areas of interest are pardise valley (too expensive for me), and arcadia (seems mostly older houses). My budget for the house will be around 1-1.5 mill depending on how the new employment works out.
I don't consider driving 30-40 minutes as too excessive (this is how far I travel to and from work now), and I certainly don't mean to be wasteful of our resources or contribute to the traffic issues. My hope is to be able to contribute to the local ecconomy and be of service thru my employment, at the same time I would like to find a good place to call home.

Thank you for your support.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:10 PM

3,632 posts, read 11,033,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indylog View Post
Thank you for your response. I am still trying to find a safe, fun place to call home.
Other areas of interest are pardise valley (too expensive for me), and arcadia (seems mostly older houses). My budget for the house will be around 1-1.5 mill depending on how the new employment works out.
I don't consider driving 30-40 minutes as too excessive (this is how far I travel to and from work now), and I certainly don't mean to be wasteful of our resources or contribute to the traffic issues. My hope is to be able to contribute to the local ecconomy and be of service thru my employment, at the same time I would like to find a good place to call home.

Thank you for your support.
Actually you usually can find a nice home at 1 mil in PV. I would seriously look into if I were you. I looked at a very nice home that was $995,900. A typical suburban home in a GREAT area. It may be sold by now, but you never know. But for your range you can find a good amount in PV. It's also VERY convenient commute wise.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Apparently, it's rude to offer someone alternatives to an unnecessary 90+ minute daily commute that adds up to 12,000 miles a year. It's also considered rude to offer to help reduce the traffic and pollution in the valley by suggesting that one might enjoy living closer to work. Those things are rude. But it's OK to encourage one to drive huge SUVs which kick up dust, block the sun, and waste a limited resource primarily supplied by hostile foreign interests.

Got it.
This is America - freedom to live where we want, drive as far as we would like to work and in the desired vehicle we want. Some people do prefer the seclusion as opposed to living in the midst of downtown. You have to respect their living preferences. I have been here since the early 70's and have watched this city and it's traffic grow beyond belief compared to what it once was. Shouldn't I be a little upset? Hm. I'm not. What is there to get in a huff about? It is what it is. No reason to express disdain toward someone moving here. This is not only your city, there are other taxpayers here as well who love it. As for SUV's....you only live once, may as well enjoy your time here with the things that make you happy. Often for many, SUV's have a major safety factor. Especially with kids in the vehicle. I will worry about safety first.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Actually you usually can find a nice home at 1 mil in PV. I would seriously look into if I were you. I looked at a very nice home that was $995,900. A typical suburban home in a GREAT area. It may be sold by now, but you never know. But for your range you can find a good amount in PV. It's also VERY convenient commute wise.
Thank you, I will certainly look at that. I am having trouble figuring out how much house I can actually afford. For one thing I will have a base pay with production incentive but not sure how much that would be (base 15 k/month and potential 400 k/year). The other issue is that not sure how much living expenses will be in Az (two people, no debts). I am only sharing the financial info so maybe others can help me figure out how much house I can afford...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area