Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 PM

38 posts, read 83,834 times

Advertisements

Hi all, is the commute from Casa Grande really approximately an hour like Mapquest would suggest, or is there a ton of traffic to add onto that guesstimate? Thanks!

Also I did a search on this but only found estimates like "long" and "far" and I'm looking for a tad more specific since one person's long commute may be a walk in the park to another person haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:35 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
What part of Phoenix? Theres a world of difference if you're talking about Ahwatukee vs the norther parts of Phoenix.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:38 PM

Maybe around downtown Phoenix or Tempe? Just trying to see if this would be a doable commute in general or if it would be too far. Also if anyone has any recommendations for a good middle ground for a family with one person commuting to Casa Grande and another commuting to Phoenix/Tempe that would be great too. I am currently checking out Chandler and Gilbert but am open to suggestions! Thanks!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCR View Post
Maybe around downtown Phoenix or Tempe? Just trying to see if this would be a doable commute in general or if it would be too far. Also if anyone has any recommendations for a good middle ground for a family with one person commuting to Casa Grande and another commuting to Phoenix/Tempe that would be great too. I am currently checking out Chandler and Gilbert but am open to suggestions! Thanks!
Downtown Phoenix and Tempe are two very different things. A commute from CG to downtown Phx during normal work/rush hours would be a pain. Tempe, not quite so bad.

You mention a middle ground, and someone commuting TO CG. Commuting TO Casa Grande from south Tempe, orwest Chandler would be MUCH easier than going the other way. During typical morning rush, I can get to CG from my house in south Tempe faster than I can get to my office in downtown Phoenix.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Awesome that pretty much answers my question. Thank you!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM

641 posts, read 2,365,820 times
My husband drives to to 75th ave , and it takes an hour and 20 min. Now when we drive to Chandler it takes 40 min. Tempe about 50 min. Going to Phoenix rush hour is going to slow anyone down, but even in rush hour, if I am just going to Tempe it is not a big deal.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
So much does depend on where exactly you are leaving FROM in Casa Grande as there can be a 5-10 min difference from the south end of CG to the north end since there are currently only the 3 ramps to I 10, and then as others have said a real difference where you are heading and WHEN you are heading into the Phoenix grid (includes Tempe/Mesa etc). Leaving 10-15 mins earlier or later can make a big difference.

What I will say is that a whole lot of the 50K people that live here in town full time (about 60-70K here now with the snowbirds!) make the commute every day so it is definetely "doable", especially if compared to some of the Southern California, Chicago, San Fransisco, or East Coast Metro commutes.

You mention finding a middle ground in Chandler etc...that is a good plan....IF you can get as much house as you want. CG housing is MUCH less expensive that Chandler so take that into consideration. Of course you will then have to figure in your time and fuel/car care costs if you decide to move here.

I cant give you personal experience on a daily commute unfortunately since I work from home.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Thank you both for your insight; we could definitely get more house for our money in Casa Grande but we'd have to check out that commute. We're coming from the Chicago area so it may not be that bad (my normal one hour commute was doubled yesterday due to snow, which happens quite a bit here).

Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Yes, you can get more house for your money. But, you will be putting that extra money into your gas tank. Everyone worries about the time, but what about the cost?

An extra $200 a month into your gas tank could be an extra $200 on your mortgage and not have to commute 1+ hour each way.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
AZJoe -

As I mentioned in my initial post, yes, cost is a factor - BUT what people always forget that WHEREEVER they live (unless very close to work), there will be SOME cost for fuel etc. Its how much EXTRA will it cost? It is still 10-15 miles each way from Chander to downtown, but only an EXTRA 25 to CG - so you need to compute the extra cost, not the entire cost since there will always be some cost.

Also, in the OPs case it sounds like 1/2 will be working here in CG, so they would have to make at least half a commute, as opposed to if they lived here there would be virtually no commute for one of them.

Its all a matter of balance - thats why I get frustrated when people post here that certain places should never be an option (not saying you are on of those AZJoe)e. Those views are based on THEIR experiences and desires. Not everyone has the same views. That is why I appreciate the people who just post information and their experiences, but dont tell someone else its a bad choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area