Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,271,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Basically to answer your initial questions, it sounds like where you are at right now (age, experience, etc.) the best place to find a job would be at a fast food restaurant; McDonalds, Burker King, I saw that Rubio's was hiring the other day. I really don't think you have a chance at a better job anywhere else here since the job market is so terrible.

And apartment wise, you can search apartments on the internet and get a good idea of how much they run and in what locations. When I was looking for apartments a few years ago there were studio apartments for $300 (in not so nice areas though) and it goes up from there to thousands of dollars. However, since you are only 18 it is going to be really hard to get an apartment since you probably have no credit to your name. Also, I don't know how much utilities run a month, but with no credit when you initially sign up you usually have to pay a big fee at the beginning of services (like $100 to $150 dollars for each company just to get the utilities started). There is electricity (SRP), Southwest Gas (gas), Cox or Qwest (if you want internet or phone), & garbage, sewer, water, & trash is all usually one bill in an apartment.

Food stamps, I have no idea, but I would be more focused on getting a job and paying for food yourself instead of relying on food stamps.

Hope that helps a little.
Very true. When we moved to the Phoenix area, even though we have excellent credit and have had utilities in our name in good standing in both Ohio and Michigan for years, we had to pay a good-sized deposit to the gas company and Cox Cable, just because we had never had service with those companies before, and it works the same way with the utility companies here.

To the OP: I am sorry if I accused you of posting something bogus, and I deeply regret it. It was mainly the food stamp inquiry that made me suspicious, since most of the time people who ask about public assistance before even trying to find a job in a new location are either trolls trying to get a reaction or people who actually don't want to work. In reading your posts on this page, I see that that is not the case with you and you are sincerely trying to relocate and better your life. Again, I apologize. However, FWIW, listen to the people on this forum who live in the Phoenix area about the job situation there, because they know first hand what it is like. Being an 18yo without a college degree almost guarantees that if you did go to Phoenix, you would be very lucky to even get in somewhere like McDonald's. In good economic times, you might be able to do better, but not right now. I posted in another thread here that when we lived in Glendale, our 18yo son applied at the In n Out Burger at 83rd and Bell. The manager told him that there were literally thousands of applications ahead of his, and many of the people working there appeared to be well into their twenties and thirties. And it's not like our son is sloppy or anything. He is very clean cut and was getting ready to start his first semester at ASU. There are just too many people competing for too few jobs.

I sincerely wish you well. You sound like you are struggling, and even though you say that you don't like school, school is honestly the best ticket to a better life, so you might want to consider sticking it out, especially if you can get it paid for.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,562,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
even though you say that you don't like school, school is honestly the best ticket to a better life, so you might want to consider sticking it out, especially if you can get it paid for.
Exactly. I can't think of many people that actually LIKE school. Heck, I don't really like school. But I'm going because I know I'll have a better selection at jobs and will be able to market myself better.

And also, if I got my schooling paid for, I'd be all over that. I have a friend that's the exact same way - he could have gotten college completely paid for but he decided to be a bum and do absolutely nothing with his life. (Not saying that if you don't go to college you're a bum - he's just literally a deadbeat that doesn't have any aspirations)

I'd seize the opportunity. I'm sure you can see now that food stamps and living from paycheck to paycheck isn't really the way to go... so keep on going to school is my advice.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 AM

276 posts, read 745,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C113 View Post
I only said food stamps because i'm on them right now.
and well I am an only person, how else am i supposed to eat?
I just heard from a friend that they changed the age to be 21 to be able to receive them? Thats all i said about food stamps. and I know you cant live off of them.. im not that slow.

But for the SSI there going to cut off my benefits here next month.
So idk.
You sound confused and trying to find a way to help make things easier for the family you still have. I have children and were something to happen to me I would want them to stay in school. You have more chance at leading a successful life and increasing your income by sticking out school and perhaps working part time on weekends. Because of the fact that you're posting seems like you're scrambling for answers it doesn't seem as though you have the money or creativity to launch yourself in a business and perhaps staying with school you may receive some direction and gain some positive friendships out of it. Consider just for a few moments what life will be like for you without education before you quit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area