U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 PM

11 posts, read 28,004 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to find some good places to hike around or even to just walk on trails; not anything thats an intense work out; but more to get a low-level work out and to just enjoy the beautiful weather before it hits 100 again. I live around bell and 14th street but driving a little isnt really an issue for me so if its on the otherside of town thats ok for me! I just dont want to go somewhere thats gone down hill -- the tagging, litter, etc that ive seen at a few places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 PM

30,328 posts, read 27,788,363 times
Thumbs up Try the Phx Mountain Prserve

You might want to try some of the Phoenix Mountain Preserve areas. The parks are all over the city and easy to get to, all of them have different types of trails to use. Some of the trails are all up hill and steep others are simply very easy and wander around the base of the mountains or in between them. I enjoy the hiking trails at 7th street just south of Thunderbird Rd. on the west side across from the Hilton Point Tapatio Resort. They have trails that will fit any request, long short, steep or easy. This time of year the flowers are starting to come out in bloom and most everything is green.

Iíve also enjoyed the Maricopa County Park out north of Fountain Hills. They have lots of trails as well, and a very enjoyable view.

Happy hiking.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM

3,782 posts, read 5,827,950 times
The Phx Mtns off of 7th St are good. Lots of trails there. Another place is Dreamy Draw Park E. of the 51 on Northern. You can also find some trails S. of Shea on 40th St.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,033,834 times
Yeah, I was gonna say Dreamy Draw at Northern and the 51 too. All the trails that meander around the northside of Squaw/Piestewa Peak are real nice to get lost in. Especially now that wildflower season is coming. I've seen TWO desert tortoises in there and a lot of other great wild life.

If you really don't mind driving, take Central Ave. straight up South Mountain to the top and find the Hidden Valley parking lot/trailhead. You'll see the trail head east along the ridge. It goes for miles and, honestly, it's really pretty untouched desert. Really old, thick patches of Saguaros, tons of big lizards, and I've seen javelinas up close many times there.
The trail goes for a few miles along the top of the ridge there and it's not difficult. Find the Hidden Valley Loop. It has a natural tunnel the trail goes through and lots of crazy hoodoo rocks and little nooks and cranneys.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 PM

533 posts, read 1,336,265 times
The Gateway, which enters the McDowell Mountain Range just north of Bell on Thompson Peak Parkway, is really beautiful and has a ton of great hiking trails.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 PM

11 posts, read 28,004 times
ive been to south mountain but always stopped at the look out to see the view - i think ill definately check out that one and probably the rest too - thanks everyone!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
The best place to hike, IMO, is Pinnacle Peak. Its in a safe neighborhood, has pretty good views, LOTS of huge boulders, nicely groomed paths, easily walkable (nothing extreme like parts of Camelback, etc). The Phoenix Mountain Preserves are iffy. There is absolutely no shade to be found anywhere in there, and if youre like me and have hiked in early summer, not having any shade around is extremely annoying and dangerous. South Mountain? I thought it was highly overrated. Mummy Mountain was one of the better hikes in the area, but nothing extraordinary.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 23,814 times
Wow, lots of those places sound great! I've always loved hiking the east side of camelback mountain (the cholla trail). the west side is nice too (Summit trail) but it's steeper and much busier and from what I remember, less scenic.

Mod cut...no links, recommendations with less than 10 posts...

I also love hiking the superstitions...siphon draw, peralta trail. They're my fave mountains in the world, so pretty.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-29-2010 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,200 times
Default Peralto Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaksak View Post
So I'm trying to find some good places to hike around or even to just walk on trails; not anything thats an intense work out; but more to get a low-level work out and to just enjoy the beautiful weather before it hits 100 again. I live around bell and 14th street but driving a little isnt really an issue for me so if its on the otherside of town thats ok for me! I just dont want to go somewhere thats gone down hill -- the tagging, litter, etc that ive seen at a few places.

My favorite is Peralto Trail on the back side of Superstition Mountain past Gold Canyon...really great hike.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM

123 posts, read 307,948 times
I agree with Steve-o, Pinnacle Peak is my favorite as well. The most scenic and picturesque by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area