U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,259 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move at some point to Phoenix area. We would only move provided that one of us had a job previously lined up.
Have been reading the forums and seems to be a bleak outlook on jobs there. I have a Bachelors Degree in Counseling and would be looking for nonprofit work but would be open to something else that I would feel suits my strengths. How difficult would you anticipate this being given the economy there? Also, I do have friends in Tempe. Would you recommend putting their address down on resumes? I have heard that when you are an out of stater, they are less likely to contact you for an interview because they like to hire people already located in Phoenix area.

Also, if we do move what area we go to will depend on where our jobs are located. However, just curious--- I would like somewhere that is a good area to raise children that has affordable housing that is easy to get around... Would preferably like it to be close to Tempe as that is where we have friends. Any recommendations?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 05:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,557,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreylaine View Post
My husband and I are considering a move at some point to Phoenix area. We would only move provided that one of us had a job previously lined up.
Have been reading the forums and seems to be a bleak outlook on jobs there. How difficult would you anticipate this being given the economy there? Also, I do have friends in Tempe. Would you recommend putting their address down on resumes? I have heard that when you are an out of stater, they are less likely to contact you for an interview because they like to hire people already located in Phoenix area.

Also, if we do move what area we go to will depend on where our jobs are located. ?
Arizona has been bombarded with job losses, more than most states. According to the local Phoenix media market, Phoenix and Arizona will be among the last places in the country to see an economic turnaround. And it isnt expected to turn around until like 2015. Because of that, employers here only consider local candidates first to make less competition--its only fair. There is just too many unemployed people here who R on unemployment compensation, food stamps and the like, and it is hurting the state badly. The fewer people here competing for jobs, the better. I have a freind who is a corporate recruiter and headhunter, so I know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM

8,673 posts, read 9,887,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Arizona has been bombarded with job losses, more than most states. According to the local Phoenix media market, Phoenix and Arizona will be among the last places in the country to see an economic turnaround. And it isnt expected to turn around until like 2015. Because of that, employers here only consider local candidates first to make less competition--its only fair. There is just too many unemployed people here who R on unemployment compensation, food stamps and the like, and it is hurting the state badly. The fewer people here competing for jobs, the better. I have a freind who is a corporate recruiter and headhunter, so I know what I'm talking about.
Where is your proof of that? and the "its only fair" shows you are running on emotion. There have been other people that have moved to AZ with a job offer in hand. The last I heard in this state there was no law saying you must hire a resident first. I would say out of emotion some employers would hire residents first, but if a person from outside is better qualified, sells their qualifications better, they will be hired. If everyone believed as you did, no one would move here, we would all run for the midwest maybe?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM

788 posts, read 1,729,409 times
Default Oh, OK. so there ae no Jobs in Arizona

Oh, so there are no jobs in AZ. ?? We should just stay away then? OK. thanks for the update. Maybe in 2015 people will return because by then there will be jobs again.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
YAZ

6,147 posts, read 6,653,814 times
We have the lottery here.

There's still hope......

Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 AM

9,110 posts, read 9,856,400 times
Quote:
The OP should be aware that Krock lost his job, tried to find a job in Arizona so he could remain here and when he didn't find one, he decided to move and poo poo the entire city as a parting gift. This is nothing but a case of sour grapes

Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 AM

98 posts, read 157,433 times
Having at least a degree is good. Hey. No one is preventing you from moving here. I'm sure there are plenty who don't visit forums like this and move here because houses and rent seem cheap. Then they look for work... maybe they get a job, maybe not. In the end, you make the choice to what's best for you and your family. The lottery was mentioned. :P Life is a gamble. Some just take more risk than others. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,557,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Where is your proof of that? and the "its only fair" shows you are running on emotion. There have been other people that have moved to AZ with a job offer in hand. The last I heard in this state there was no law saying you must hire a resident first. I would say out of emotion some employers would hire residents first, but if a person from outside is better qualified, sells their qualifications better, they will be hired. If everyone believed as you did, no one would move here, we would all run for the midwest maybe?
You have clearly missed my point. No, there is no law that says you must be an AZ resident to apply. Did I ever say that? However, since there are so many in AZ not working and so many people nedding social aid and so many people looking for jobs and so much competition, most local coporations are seeking local applicants first. Yes, it IS fair! Why would a company here hire some out-of-state applicant when there are tons of qualified candidates already here? 90% of them wont. I dont need 'proof' because I hang around the right people to know. And if everyone believed as you did, there would be like 50-million people living here and looking for work here, when AZ's economy can only support like 3-million, only half what it is now. Its the truth wheather you like it or not. I'm just glad I'm moving soon and leaving this overpopulated madness in the desert. Too many people are here as it is.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM

8,673 posts, read 9,887,290 times
Quote:
You have clearly missed my point. No, there is no law that says you must be an AZ resident to apply. Did I ever say that? Why would a company here hire some out-of-state applicant when there are tons of qualified candidates already here? 90% of them wont. I dont need 'proof' because I hang around the right people to know. And if everyone believed as you did, there would be like 50-million people living here and looking for work here, when AZ's economy can only support like 3-million, only half what it is now. Its the truth wheather you like it or not. I'm just glad I'm moving soon and leaving this overpopulated madness in the desert. Too many people are here as it is.
I did not miss the point...this is your quote...You made this statement to someone inquiring about work in AZ...and it is a lie. (Note the bolded part if you are confused).

Krock: "Arizona has been bombarded with job losses, more than most states. According to the local Phoenix media market, Phoenix and Arizona will be among the last places in the country to see an economic turnaround. And it isnt expected to turn around until like 2015. Because of that, employers here only consider local candidates first to make less competition--its only fair. There is just too many unemployed people here who R on unemployment compensation, food stamps and the like, and it is hurting the state badly. The fewer people here competing for jobs, the better. I have a freind who is a corporate recruiter and headhunter, so I know what I'm talking about."

Now where is your proof that 90% of AZ companies will not hire someone from out of state? Because you have a 'friend' that is a corporate recruiter and headhunter didn't get you hired did it. Did you ever think your friend might be telling you what you want to hear?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,259 times
Wow, People on this forum are quite hostile.

Anyways, I am planning on using my friend's address in Tempe to avoid them seeing I am from out of state and not considering me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area