U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,715 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving from NJ to AZ around August. I am 21 yrs old and i currently rent a 1 bedroom apt for $880. (I live in the "Jersey Shore" area). The apartment complex is not in the most desirable area, but I have lived here basically all my life so its comfortable.

When I move, I will be transferring with my job. I'm just wondering if I will be able to live comfortably in AZ making $13 /hr in the phoenix area. I would really like an apartment (1 br) for $400-$600 a month if possible. (this 880 is killing me). When I look online I can find really nice apartments for this much, but I dont know if they are in good areas. Especially since I will be new to the area and all alone, I'm really looking for a safe neighborhood with people closer to my age. And also not in the middle of nowhere.

As far as the commute, I don't mind commuting an hour to an hour and a half. (I am from jersey). I have many locations in the phoenix area i can transfer to, so i'm not worried there.

Can anyone help me out...or just give me some advice...is this move possible?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 AM

19 posts, read 17,748 times
If you want to live near a lot of people that are your age then I would suggest Tempe. Tempe is where ASU is located and so there are lots of college kids there. You should be able to find a pretty nice apt. for 500-600 a month. You can find cheaper places that are livable but it is really the quality of residents that will go down. If you don't mind living next door to crack heads then you could find a place for 300-400 a month. If you want a really nice place...you can prob find a luxury rental for around 700+ right now.

It also depends on where you live...Scottsdale will always be more expensive than Phoenix or Tempe. You might also consider the Downtown Phoenix area. You can find nice rentals and it is a mixed crowd but a lot of younger people and artist types. Plus you can find a place on the light rail line so you can easily get to Tempe for more social opportunities.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 AM

3,497 posts, read 5,118,240 times
lots of choices....

Tempe is a very convenient town, but stay away from the immediate ASU area to minimize high rents and periodic noise....

Chandler will have some young people and it's a great new-ish area (in parts) with all the chains and all that...

if you want to be in the middle of the urban area, Phoenix proper has decent areas like N Central around Indian School, Camelback, Bethany Home, and Northern cross streets....and the "Camelback Corridor" along Camelback from 16th to 44th Streets (not Avenues)....

you may also like NE Phoenix in the 85254 zip code...the Paradise Village area centered on Cactus/Shea/Tatum areas is a favorite of mine: all the favorite stores, a decent mall, nice long greenbelt, very convenient location w/in the valley, but a very busy and car-centric....stay E of 40th St here

I don't know the west valley enough to comment, but many, many choices over there, too.....

you may have to bump up your rent rate for a really decent area, but your choice.....

Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM

10 posts, read 9,401 times
You will need to be careful of criminal activity in areas in that price range.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,715 times
i've been looking online....totally realizing i gotta bump up my price range....thanks for the suggestions....

Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,880,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey... View Post
I'm planning on moving from NJ to AZ around August. I am 21 yrs old and i currently rent a 1 bedroom apt for $880. (I live in the "Jersey Shore" area). The apartment complex is not in the most desirable area, but I have lived here basically all my life so its comfortable.

When I move, I will be transferring with my job. I'm just wondering if I will be able to live comfortably in AZ making $13 /hr in the phoenix area. I would really like an apartment (1 br) for $400-$600 a month if possible. (this 880 is killing me). When I look online I can find really nice apartments for this much, but I dont know if they are in good areas. Especially since I will be new to the area and all alone, I'm really looking for a safe neighborhood with people closer to my age. And also not in the middle of nowhere.

As far as the commute, I don't mind commuting an hour to an hour and a half. (I am from jersey). I have many locations in the phoenix area i can transfer to, so i'm not worried there.

Can anyone help me out...or just give me some advice...is this move possible?
I will just say this, I am a 30 year native of Phoenix. I now live in Las Vegas which has slightly higher living expenses. I make $.950 an hour working 40 hours a week, and do just fine. You will have absolutely no problems making it on $13.00 an hour in hour in Phoenix. I would not worry about it at all.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM

75 posts, read 120,162 times
I rented a 2 beroom for $750 in a nice area union hills and 59th or 51st. not far from the park and ride. NW phoenix - NW glendale very nice area never had issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area