Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i'm digging the rain - it's needed and really not that uncommon

besides, the only people sunbathing in the winter are tourists and newbies (which didn't stop me from spending time by a heated pool last weekend when some family was staying at a local resort - weather was perfect)

ride it out and know in a couple weeks it will be pretty much gone until the end of july and you'll be sipping beers at spring training
March is the wettest month of the year - historically anyway. You might be sipping in the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
actually no they don't

on average phoenix gets about twice as much rain as las vegas

neither are exactly world leaders in rainfall, but phoenix and it's surrounding areas do get a lot more moisture than vegas
Finger Laker,

You are absolutely correct. However, please reread what I wrote. I said the same weather patterns, not rainfall amount as in inches. Phoenix and Vegas usually get the same rain storms, but Phoenix gets more rainfall out each storm. Phoenix gets on average 4 inches a year, Vegas gets 2.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Finger Laker,

You are absolutely correct. However, please reread what I wrote. I said the same weather patterns, not rainfall amount as in inches. Phoenix and Vegas usually get the same rain storms, but Phoenix gets more rainfall out each storm. Phoenix gets on average 4 inches a year, Vegas gets 2.
Huh? PHX Sky Harbor average is 8.3. Many parts get more, a few get a little less. Don't know/care about Las Vegas.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Huh? PHX Sky Harbor average is 8.3. Many parts get more, a few get a little less. Don't know/care about Las Vegas.
Out of my mind today, looked it up

Phoenix 8 inches

Las Vegas 4 inches

Sorry everyone

Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
I miss the thunderstorms that were common in the 40's and 50's; I don't know why it is not the same anymore.

I really like all this rain, makes everything green.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I miss the thunderstorms that were common in the 40's and 50's; I don't know why it is not the same anymore.

From reading your post, you must be old enough to be retired. I, myself, was not even born until 1975. It is a lot different when you have to drive in the rain (in traffic) ten hours a day as a delivery driver. This is where my hatred of the rain comes from.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
March is the wettest month of the year - historically anyway. You might be sipping in the rain.
yeah - i saw that after I posted - probably my own bit of newbie syndrome as I don't recall having too many wet march days over the past 7 years, but more in february

could be in part just the times i've been caught in it or have had plans affected (zero and i'm usually pretty active in march)

Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
yeah - i saw that after I posted - probably my own bit of newbie syndrome as I don't recall having too many wet march days over the past 7 years, but more in february

could be in part just the times i've been caught in it or have had plans affected (zero and i'm usually pretty active in march)
It does seem as though March has not been very wet for the last several years at least. It could be the higher total is due to the type of storms - more tropical moisture, cut off lows - being wetter instead of more rainy days.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
For an El Nino year, this is not unusual. Things will dry out soon, and stay that way for months. We don't get the rain from the summer thunderstorms that we used to, so we can use what we get now. Not to mention that the snow up north is great for filling up the watershed up north.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post

Probably because 50-60 years ago; most of what is now Mesa, Phx, etc. was open land hence fewer microclimates slowing/influencing the monsoons. Hell: Phx stopped at E Indian School till ca. 1950
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area