Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM

9 posts, read 77,074 times

Advertisements

What's a realistic commute time I can expect from Goodyear (Pebble Creek Parkway & Indian School) to downtown ASU (Walter Cronkite School of Journalism building, if it matters)?

Google maps says 45 minutes in traffic, but that seems terribly optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
I'd say 45 minutes with ZERO traffic. Easily one hour plus with traffic.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 AM

211 posts, read 641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I'd say 45 minutes with ZERO traffic. Easily one hour plus with traffic.
I'd agree. Especially if your commute has you driving during the prime traffic hours between 7-9AM and 4-6PM during the week. Took me about 20min this morning to get from I-17 to the airport at about 730. Traffic was particularly retarded this morning, but that's not even a third of the drive you'd be making and likely along the same route.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
It can vary wildly depending on your actual departure time, and depending on accidents, etc., but I'd agree that 45 minutes would not be enough some days. I don't think that time frame would require NO traffic, but that inbound and outbound I-10 can be really tough, so 45 mins would not be the common time frame.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
I live in Estrella, so it's only a guess (but a slightly educated one).
But 45 in traffic sounds right. If traffic is especially heavy (say, because of an accident or two), add another 5-10 minutes. Without traffic, 35 minutes is about all it will take. 30 minutes if there is no traffic and you speed.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
Be careful with speeding! We have cameras!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Living that far in the west valley, it might be worthwhile to get on an express bus in Goodyear or Avondale and take it all the way downtown. Sure would save on gas and those crush hour commute headaches.

I hope they get commuter rail or light rail running to the west valley suburban areas, we could certainly use more transit and less driving out this way.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
the commuter bus may work because you are going downtown, but it isn't that convenient leaving only a few times each day and doesn't really save you any time - the park & ride is by the chuck-e-cheese @ mcdowell west of dysart

Not sure what time of the day you are travelling or what time of the year - but I currently get on the I-10 at Estrella (pebble creek parkway for those of us south of the freeway) and commute on it until the 17 interchange ... I used to commute to the central corridor getting off at 7th avenue

right now one of the issues will be if the estrella interchange is open or not ... you may be better off just going to the bullard interchange

in the morning commute (say from 6am to 8am) you will hit heavy traffic around 83rd avenue - it will normally be stop and go until 51st avenue and then loosen up some where you'll have slow going but steady for the most part until you get to your exit

then it will just be time spent navigating downtown, finding parking, etc

if you are in the morning rush I'd budget an hour for it - if you leave a little after 8 i'd probably say you could do it in 45 minutes if things don't go crazy as traffic does get lighter (i used to have a 9 am start time because of this)

you shouldn't hit much traffic after 9am - there is no evening rush between goodyear & downtown

without traffic you could probably do it between 30-40 minutes pending on how the downtown navigation goes - without speeding ..... it's only like 18 miles from the estrella exit to the 7th ave exit

i've often gotten into downtown in the 20-30 minute range and can usually get to the airport in 30 minutes if there is light traffic

I had a flight yesterday morning and left my house at 7:15 and was at the airport at 8:20 and that was with two slowdowns due to cops having people pulled over after 51st avenue keeping people at a standstill

the bottleneck still sucks, but things are a lot better since they have removed the other bottleneck out in goodyear/avondale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area