Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:01 PM

295 posts, read 551,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I have yet to meet anyone who actually said that they could make ends meet on unemployment. Some are dipping into their 401Ks to make ends meet. I really feel sorry for people with families.
As do I feel sorry for those with families in that situation. You just have to cut, cut, cut, and when you don't think you can cut anymore, cut anyways.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,695,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbutdownn View Post
Hi. It's been over a year and I still haven't been able to find employment around Phoenix. What are some recommendations from other people that have left Phoenix for jobs? Texas seems to have one of the healthiest economies in nation. NYC is doing OK if in high level finance. I know that everywhere is hurting to some degree, but Arizona is one of the few states that has yet to stabilize from the Recession.
It used to be, when the economy slumped, people would often move down south, or out west. However, we have reached the point where there is know where else to go. Arizona, California, Nevada, Florida, North Carolina and other states in the south all have the same bad economy that those living in the north. Texas no longer has many jobs, and how can it, with so many people moving there. Also consider that most of the jobs created there are minimum wage jobs.

Our nation has taken in more immigrants in the past 20 years than the previous 150 years. It is impossible to improve an economy when the influx of immigrants each year exceeds the amount of people who lost their jobs that year. People in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and other states, whom have been out of work, figure what the heck? If I'm out of work here, I might as well go where the weather is milder, even if they don't have a job waiting for them. The few jobs our country creates, are jobs that require a lot of education. Manufacturing jobs, and other jobs requiring less education have been going overseas. Our jobs go to Asia, and their people come here. The only way our country has a chance of recovery is to put the breaks on immigration.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/learn/sustainability/biggest-population-boom-ever.html (broken link)

Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 PM

295 posts, read 551,385 times
brightbutdownn, have you thought about Denver?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 PM

59 posts, read 136,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbutdownn View Post
I also know of a semiconductor company in the Phoenix area that is planning on phasing out operations here.
Now you've got me curious. A semi company that's not ON or ST that's phasing out operations in Phoenix. Are you allowed to say who it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
That won't last.

"Intel can thrive today — not just survive, but thrive — and never hire another American."

Op-Ed Columnist - A Word From the Wise - NYTimes.com
Yep, saw the headline, but hadn't read the article until now. A far cry from his tone last year:

Intel to invest $7 billion in U.S. facilities | Politics and Law - CNET News

Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM

75 posts, read 130,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
brightbutdownn, have you thought about Denver?
That was one place I was looking at. The economic base is much more diverse in Denver than Phoenix, but it doesn't have the degree of strength in stability that Texas currently has.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:10 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,552,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
It used to be, when the economy slumped, people would often move down south, or out west. However, we have reached the point where there is know where else to go. Arizona, California, Nevada, Florida, North Carolina and other states in the south all have the same bad economy that those living in the north. Texas no longer has many jobs, and how can it, with so many people moving there. Also consider that most of the jobs created there are minimum wage jobs. The few jobs our country creates, are jobs that require a lot of education. The only way our country has a chance of recovery is to put the breaks on immigration.

Biggest Population Boom Ever | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels (http://www.numbersusa.com/content/learn/sustainability/biggest-population-boom-ever.html - broken link)
Poor education and plenty of migrant labor (mostly from illegals) is exactly why Arizona is a 'low income', minimum-wage state, and why Walyworld is its largest employer. Population growth does not mean a state is good to live. That is why the Midwest is better off; industry and producing goods provides a standard of living. Arizona's reliance on consuming industries and service activity, coupled with awful education, is why AZ doesnt have much of a future.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Hi PHXtoPDX. Unfortunately, I shouldn't disclose regarding the semiconductor company that is planning to leave the Phoenix area.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM

919 posts, read 3,386,980 times
This whole thread has become absurd, if not full of BS. The OP bemoaned the lack of jobs, but also never revealed, despite numerous requests, to explain their qualifications. If they really wanted to network and find leads, why not extol one's virtues and abilities, rather than keep repeating the "no opportunity" mantra? It smells like a troll.

Even if the conversation was legit, it still wouldn't matter. No city has a surplus of jobs where you can move in and get an open gig. If there is a job, you need to be able to win it, rather than simply show up. Moving to a place that "has random jobs" is not a career strategy.

Interestingly, I find this to be a period of great opportunity, especially for the real savvy folks. Big, public companies have to show growth, but also be lean - so while many are not hiring staff, they are contracting with small, nimble companies and people to solve problems. They aren't on the payroll, but they often make more by being an outside partner.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 AM

bluebelt, and the 401k borrowing can only last so long. joninaz, the focus has been on the relocation of former Phoenicians to places where there are jobs. My personal education isn't of a great deal of relevance to that topic.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,780,679 times
Back on topic...the original question was referring to people who left Phoenix due to job...if wanting to discuss unemployment, how to get by...there is an unemployment, employment board on City-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area