U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:43 PM

27 posts, read 89,537 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I know there's been hundreds of posts similar to mine about moving to AZ and needing info about the best place to live. I think I've read most of them...and I still have questions.

First of all, does anyone know anything about Sky Mountain Estates in Mesa? I've read a lot of negative stuff about Mesa, but I've also heard some good. I come from a town in the Chicago suburbs (Elgin) that is good sized and has plenty of bad areas...but also plenty of good. My kids school was predominately hispanic with more bi-lingual classes than not, yet I still loved it. I loved our neighborhood, even though there were sketchy areas just to our east. My point is I'm not looking for a perfect town. Although I don't want to live in a bad area as we do have 4 boys ranging in age from 11-17, I don't mind a town that has bad areas. Unless Mesa is just bad news from one end to the other, I'd like to know some of the good things about it.

Next, can anyone tell me how much they pay for utilities on a 5000 sf house (that has a pool and hot tub). How many months of the year do you use your a/c? How often to you need to turn on the heat?

We, like many others, are planning on renting before we buy and we will be coming out soon to explore. I'm just curious if anyone has first hand knowledge of the area.

Also, we work from home so commuting is not an issue.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:21 PM

382 posts, read 1,196,758 times
Mesa is not all bad news. I lived there for 6 years and went to High school there too (sort of lol). It has good and bad parts, but it's pretty widespread, so you would need to really narrow down the neighborhood areas you want to look at. It's been a while since I've lived out there, so I'm not sure I can help out much more in that area.

I imagine your electric bill would be pretty high in the summer for a home that size. Winter prices, from what I've seen, tend to be 1/3 the summer cost. I don't think I would even want to guess. Most people start using their A/C when it hits 90 during the day (some sooner), and that can start as early as April, usually May (hopefully not this year).

Chandler/Gilbert seem to be the big boom towns on the east side, more so if you have kids. You may be more interested in those areas.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 AM

6,069 posts, read 12,680,955 times
Sky Mountain Estates is a gated community within the larger Red Mountain Ranch sub division. It's a premier community in north east Mesa, located across Power Road from Las Sendas, another very popular premier community with some gated communities within the development.

It sits in the foothills of the Tonto National Forest, so there are beautiful city and mountain views all around.

The general landscaping is desert landscape.

It's located very near the north 202 loop which makes it very convenient to go to east to Phoenix and Scottsdale, or south to Gilbert and Chandler.

You can inquire online about the electricity cost. SRP should be able to give you a good ball park price for elec for various sized homes.
SRP: How to contact us

For water and waste:
City of Mesa Water Resources Department

For gas:
Energy Resources Department

Schools in Gilbert tend to have a better reputation than Mesa, although I have not heard anything negative about Red Mountain High School.

If you prefer green landscaping then areas in Gilbert may suit you, such as Val Vista Lakes at Val Vista Drive and Baseline, (north central Gilbert near the 60) or Seville at Higley and Riggs (southeast Gilbert). Both have some larger homes.

Val Vista Lakes has 64 acres of lake and a clubhouse with all the amenities included in the $88 monthly HOA dues.
www.valvistalakes.org

Seville has a golf course, plus club house amenities that are all in addition to the monthly HOA dues.
Seville Homeowners Association

Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Thank you both very much!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,733,636 times
I can't attest to Mesa as I've only ventured there about 3 times in my 6 years in Phoenix. There just isn't any reason for me to visit the East Valley. I do have friends and coworkers that live there and love it. Apparently there is a large population of Mormon folk there. They make for great neighbors.

I will say as far as the A/C goes, we probably turn ours on in the mid afternoon starting in May. At that time, evenings still cool down so it doesn't run all night. In August and September, it will run 24/7. To cool a 1300 sf home with all tile floors, it runs me just under $250 per month in the summer. I may have had one as high as $275 last year. But I hate being cold and actually like my home at about 80-82 degrees. My husband fights with me on that. You'll run your AC from about May - late October.

As far as heating, we have a gas heater and it has come on in the winter in the early morning and a couple times in the late afternoon. We have a schedule programmed so it doesn't come on during the day unless it gets below 67 degrees in the house (want to keep my pets warm while I'm gone). Gas is cheaper than electric and runs me about $75 per month tops.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 AM

27,875 posts, read 37,897,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Apparently there is a large population of Mormon folk there. They make for great neighbors.
But lousy friends unless you are one of them. They can be very close knit.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,850,328 times
My home is 4000K+ square feet and I pay less in utilities(SRP) than when I lived in an apartment with APS. SRP and a "green" home can make that much of a difference. Nearly every appliance in my house is energy efficient and I use the CFL bulbs whenever possible. My electric bill is less than $200 per month including the summer and my gas bill has never been over $100. I also do laundry at night and we have that SRP rate plan that is cheap at night but expensive during the day.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:16 PM

What does SRP stand for?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM

27,875 posts, read 37,897,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyfromIL View Post
What does SRP stand for?
APS is Arizona Public Service, a publicly traded regulated corporation while SRP is Salt River Project, a government run utility. SRP serves mostly the east valley. APS serves most of the rest of the state. There are very significant deviations from this generalization though. Mesa which is a big chunk of the east valley has a municipal electric utility. Maricopa, a smallish town to the south, has a private company other than APS.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:02 PM

2,842 posts, read 4,108,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
My home is 4000K+ square feet.
Seriously doubt that your house is four million square feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or