Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:23 PM

98 posts, read 286,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The US stock market hit its nadir (for recent times) one year ago today. A year later the Dow is up 60%, S&P up 70% and NASDAQ around 80%. Think about that!!!! If one sat on the sidelines believing the doomers, you lost out on historic profits. People who put their money in the stock of banks the "experts" predicted would fail or take years to recover made far, far more. Be wary of the Zandi's and the doom-mongers whose reason is clouded by their political viewpoints. Read the tea leaves, not the opinion pieces.
In today's AZCentral (money section), there are 2 articles. One says more companies plan to lay more people off in the 2nd quarter of 2010. Another article is saying bankruptcies are up in February.

Stock market doesn't make sense a lot of the time. Otherwise, we'd all be rich.

Were you also telling people in 2005 to buy more real estate and don't listen to the doom and gloom people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Here's a housing market to consider, if you don't mind or even care: CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

America's Best Bang-For-The-Buck Cities - Forbes.com (Look at the foreclosure ranking)

Central New York Jobs

Central New York Jobs

Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
In today's AZCentral (money section), there are 2 articles. One says more companies plan to lay more people off in the 2nd quarter of 2010. Another article is saying bankruptcies are up in February.

Stock market doesn't make sense a lot of the time. Otherwise, we'd all be rich.

Were you also telling people in 2005 to buy more real estate and don't listen to the doom and gloom people?
No, and I wasn't smart enough to sell my house back then either.

But you allude to an important point. When the pundits and preachers are all on the up side it may well be time to sell. And when they all turn to doom and desperation it may time to buy. The contrarian, more often than not, gets the worm.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
No, and I wasn't smart enough to sell my house back then either.

But you allude to an important point. When the pundits and preachers are all on the up side it may well be time to sell. And when they all turn to doom and desperation it may time to buy. The contrarian, more often than not, gets the worm.
Of course people get it wrong all the time. We are dealing with probabilities.

You are trying to link a parallel with stocks and housing…. The portion of the stock marekt is attempting to predict the future.

It seems you are suggesting that big gains "are-a-coming" in housing. So what is going to get Phoenix out of this housing mess??

Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Of course people get it wrong all the time. We are dealing with probabilities.

You are trying to link a parallel with stocks and housing…. The portion of the stock marekt is attempting to predict the future.

It seems you are suggesting that big gains "are-a-coming" in housing. So what is going to get Phoenix out of this housing mess??
Same thing as the markets - bargain prices. While you sit around waiting for the 26% drop that is not going to come, savvy investors are grabbing up every foreclosure the banks put out there. For cash!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Same thing as the markets - bargain prices. While you sit around waiting for the 26% drop that is not going to come, savvy investors are grabbing up every foreclosure the banks put out there. For cash!
I never said that it was going to drop another 26%... An economist did. I said I predict it to fall some more. As to when, it depends how far we kick the can down the road. I also said I'm waiting because I don't see a worthy appreciate over my holding costs over the next couple of years. It’s all about risk-reward. I don't need another home until I semi-retire and I don’t want to mess around with some $875 a month “cash flow”. I also said things could get much worse. But if I was a 1st time buyer, I'd take the plunge. But I am making sure I hang onto what I have. I use to work 100 hours a week. I like my current work load a lot better.

I go for base hits while others go for triples. In the end, I’m happy with my approach. For the record, most "investors" that are "snatching up those homes" are people off the streets who forget to calculate ROI when it comes to properties. Let's wait a year or two and revisit the thread. Your 2008 posts proved to be off a bit.

As you pointed out to me earlier, you also have “skin in the game”. Your politician of choice is in power and you have a couple of homes in Phoenix. You are going to rationalize your decision and I don’t think you can be objective. And there is no point trying to sway me.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
For the record, most "investors" that are "snatching up those homes" are people off the streets who forget to calculate ROI when it comes to properties.
Really?
Do you have any evidence of that?
Or is that just your "gut" feeling?

Ken

Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,102 times
Quote:
I never said that it was going to drop another 26%... An economist did. I said I predict it to fall some more. As to when, it depends how far we kick the can down the road. I also said I'm waiting because I don't see a worthy appreciate over my holding costs over the next couple of years. It’s all about risk-reward. I don't need another home until I semi-retire and I don’t want to mess around with some $875 a month “cash flow”. I also said things could get much worse. But if I was a 1st time buyer, I'd take the plunge. But I am making sure I hang onto what I have. I use to work 100 hours a week. I like my current work load a lot better.

I go for base hits while others go for triples. In the end, I’m happy with my approach. For the record, most "investors" that are "snatching up those homes" are people off the streets who forget to calculate ROI when it comes to properties. Let's wait a year or two and revisit the thread. Your 2008 posts proved to be off a bit.

As you pointed out to me earlier, you also have “skin in the game”. Your politician of choice is in power and you have a couple of homes in Phoenix. You are going to rationalize your decision and I don’t think you can be objective. And there is no point trying to sway me.

I have been reading your thread and it made me LOL.
You're trying so hard to be a pro but too bad you don't even have a vision of one.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
I don't believe anything until Capt Bill confirms or denies it.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
I don't believe anything until Capt Bill confirms or denies it.
Beena you've got to quit building me up like this. You know I don't know what's going on here.

After all, I'm only an investor who buys, rehabs and sells homes, and a realtor who works with buyers coming here to buy cheap houses.

You need to begin relying on these out of town folk who are experts in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area