Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 44,495 times

Advertisements

Although this thread is not recent I thought I would add my comments since someone may be looking for more information on Bella Terra in Paradise Valley/Scottsdale and stumble across it by searching via Google etc.
We decided to rent for about six months before making a decision about buying a condo here.
The Good:
It is in the perfect position for shopping - brand new Fry's Marketplace, Trader Joe, Ross, Pets Mart, Starbucks and much more all within easy walking distance. It is even possible to live here without the use of a car.
Great walks on the Green Belt and golf courses before and after playing hours.
The buildings look good externally and the swimming pool area is very attractive.
Lots of parking, one covered space for each condo and even garages for some.
I read that there have been many complaints about bugs in the condos. We never had this problem so it looks like it is now under control. We did have termites but they have not reappeared since treatment.
The Bad:
When we first moved in the landscaping was well maintained and the common areas kept clean. Now it's a different story and is beginning to look very neglected and even shabby in some areas.
This is probably because of HOA expenditure cutbacks. There are a lot of empty/abandoned condos and if the monthly dues are not being paid something has to suffer. The HOA is looking for other forms of revenue and one of these is to fine owners for anything that they feel does not comply with the CC&R's. Very frequent inspections are made and we have spoken to several people who were fined for ridiculous reasons.
There are no controls over drinking and smoking in the pool area and sometimes parties can go on to the early hours. There never seems to be anyone on duty to control this.
There are no facilities for recycling.
Although there are bags and bins available many dog owners don't bother to pick up.
The development is not gated so anyone can enter and leave. The USPS outgoing boxes are sealed because they were repeatedly broken into.
The area is not 'wheelchair friendly' with very few ramps and narrow pathways sometime reduced even more by shrubs etc.
Shea Blvd is like a racetrack and can be very noisy so look to rent or buy away from the road.
Try to avoid condos at ground level where the bedrooms are close to and facing the car parking areas. Can be noisy and annoying when the headlights are shining through the window blinds.
The Ugly
We have lived in several condo developments and realize that there is always the possibility of sound from a neighbor, after all walls are being shared. In Bella Terra sound from neighbors is amplified! The wall cavity acts as a loudspeaker, this may be due to inadequate or even lack of insulation. We could hear our neighbors phone conversations and our rooms shook when doors were being slammed shut. One family left their alarm clock on, their bedroom was next to ours, and very morning it woke us up at 4am until the battery died. I could go on and on about the noise problem but will just say it was the main reason why we decided not to buy.
If you buying an unit as a rental property then you could do a lot worse but if this is where you intend to live please consider renting before you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,249 times
Default Bella Terra in Scottsdale

I posted this message in another forum, but seeing as though this is also discussing Bella Terra in Scottsdale, I figured I would re-post it here too.

__________________________________________________ ____

I bought a condo at the Bella Terra earlier this year, and personally I think it's a great place. I have looked at all the other condos in the area, the Allison, Milano Terrace, Signature etc. and they all have positives and negatives. I'm not going to say that Bella Terra is perfect, but in my opinion it was the best value for the money.

The location of it is perfect, Shea and Tatum area is really where you want to be, the homes around here are spectacular, after all you are on the border of PV and it's close to all types of shopping. I love the green space and trails just outside of Bella Terra, it's perfect for that after work dog walk or bike ride. The club house and pool area is really nice and well upkept. I saw another post mentioning late night parties at the pool area. That may have been the case before but now there is no using the pool after 11pm as security is there at night and they ask you to leave, trust me I know, as I was there late one night and asked to leave. The complex looks great on the outside, landscaping is always in great shape and the conversion in 2006 was in my opinion one of the better one's of all the condo conversions I've seen in Scottsdale.

There are condos in that complex with a garage, though all of them don't have one. The complex has some small negatives such as being on a busy road and not having recycling capabilities. Also like with all other area of Phoenix right now, plenty of empty units are in foreclosure and short sales because of the economy.

If you are looking for the long term, then waiting out the economic downturn should be really positive as these units will eventually get new owners, and as for the car noise on Shea, quite simply don't buy a unit near the road, find one on the other side of the complex like me and it is extremely quiet.

I have been looking for a condo for over two years before I picked the Bella Terra. I searched most of Scottsdale, Fountain Hills and other parts of the Valley and I ended up going with Bella Terra, so that should tell you something. That being said, I encourage you to also do the rounds like every savvy investor and make your own decision but I do believe that Bella Terra should be at the top of your list if you are looking for a condo in Scottsdale in the price range you mentioned. Again just my two cents.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM

102 posts, read 414,502 times
I just moved in to Villa Milano Terraces across the street from Bella Terra, which are apartment/condo conversion like Bella Terra. I have NO complaints so far. Clean, quiet, well-maintained, very easy walk to almost everything I need. Next to golf course, beautiful view of mountains, etc.

I looked at a place in Bella Terra 2 months ago. I liked the condo but not the location of it. The bedroom was right next to the pool and BBQ area (reason it was vacant??) Actual addresses are very hard to find. Rooms are smaller than mine here at Villa Milano, though the kitchen and bathrooms are nicer (roomier and better-appointed). I have only 3 tiny narrow drawers in my kitchen, which is otherwise very attractive.

Bella Terra didn't seem quite as well-maintained, and I didn't care for the carports as opposed to one-car garages.

I'm very happy with my choice. Lots of places available here too, both rental and purchase.

Last edited by QERose; 09-19-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 01:04 PM

286 posts, read 677,832 times
A "steal"so to speak is almost irrelevant in 2010.I am the King of bottomfishing with two multimillionaire ex-wives to show for it.What Bush's old man started...little George made worse and the people who tell Obama what to do and when to do it...may not be over.
The next wave of horrifying economic bungling is a buy sign for me.Scottsdale? You should bbe buying all the way down and holding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area