Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:56 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Dyspnea is a sensation of feeling short of breath. It is not always attributed to pulmonary disease. Patients who have anxiety and other psychiatric disorders(panic disorder, conversion disorder, munchausen syndrome) will often claim they have asthma despite normal spirometry/pulmonary function testing and physical exam findings (saturating at 98% on room air, normal pulse, clear lung sounds, normal respiratory rate). Furthermore, their spirogram will not change when given albuterol. Asthma is reservsible. People who have genuine asthma require medication and it will not correct through a change of environment alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 03:57 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Besides the pollution and dust, the general dryness can contribute to sinus/breathing problems. Sjogrens Syndrome is something that is fairly common in older people, and they can suffer from dryness of the sinus cavity, mouth, and ears as a result. This can lead to upper respiratory problems. Sjogrens is not actually caused by our dry climate, but the dry air tends to make the condition worse.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Besides the pollution and dust, the general dryness can contribute to sinus/breathing problems. Sjogrens Syndrome is something that is fairly common in older people, and they can suffer from dryness of the sinus cavity, mouth, and ears as a result. This can lead to upper respiratory problems. Sjogrens is not actually caused by our dry climate, but the dry air tends to make the condition worse.
It is not very common. The incidence is approximately 4 in 100,000 people. One study stated that among the elderly, the incidence was 0.1 to 4.8% wheras the incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis is 0.5% to 1.0% of the general population according to the CDC. It should be noted that patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, and Multiple Sclerosis report their symptoms improve in our warm dry climate. I agree that patients with SS will suffer more in a dry climate but it's not common and certainly not more common than OA, and RA.

Our dry climate also prevents a lot of vegetation and mold from growing which also cause sinus problems. Furthermore, dust mite allergy is more prevalent in humid environments. Mites absorb humidity from the atmosphere as they don't drink. People intuitively assume that since Arizona is a desert and we have dust, that our dust mite allergy is worse here. Not true

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-06-2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It is not very common. The incidence is approximately 4 in 100,000 people. One study stated that among the elderly, the incidence was 0.1 to 4.8% wheras the incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis is 0.5% to 1.0% of the general population according to the CDC. It should be noted that patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, and Multiple Sclerosis report their symptoms improve in our warm dry climate. I agree that patients with SS will suffer more in a dry climate but it's not common and certainly not more common than OA, and RA.
I was going by personal experience because both my mother and my aunt have Sjogrens, and both are in their 80s. The ironic thing is that my parents moved here from Ohio in the 1950s before I was born, and the main reason they moved was my dad was offered a job at Motorola ... not because of the climate. They did consider the change in climate as a minor reason to move to Phoenix, and my mother loved the sunshine & low humidity during the first decade or so. Later in life when she was diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome, the dry air became very intolerable. Only the summer monsoon and periodic winter days contain enough humidity to where the effects from Sjogrens are lessened a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: