Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
It's a brash generalization. I've lived here for 10 years and while I have encountered some snobs, I have met many more nice people. What do you consider rude and snobby?

To be honest, I've encountered more snobs in other cities that I have visited than I have living in Scottsdale for a decade.
One client in particular was so rude AND snobby I almost had to walk off my shift. He was a retired doctor who was constantly putting me down. It got so bad that I had to call my supervisor. She had to come down and tell him to stop or he would have no one to take care of him. I had some others that were rude also, but he was the worst. I am not going to lie either. I had some wonderful clients out there too that were very nice and generous. However, I had better luck with nicer clients in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
One client in particular was so rude AND snobby I almost had to walk off my shift. He was a retired doctor who was constantly putting me down. It got so bad that I had to call my supervisor. She had to come down and tell him to stop or he would have no one to take care of him. I had some others that were rude also, but he was the worst. I am not going to lie either. I had some wonderful clients out there too that were very nice and generous. However, I had better luck with nicer clients in Phoenix.
LVD...this could be an isolated incident with nothing to do with Scottsdale in general, and I would assume the correlation with the medical fields would have been an issue with him whether there, Phoenix, or tim-buc-2

Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,722 times
If Scottsdale is your first choice take a look on realtor .com I just did a search for 3 bedroom homes on 1/2 acres lots and came up with 31 of them. One even in the 85254 area. All were also under 350,000, some under 300k. This forum is a great place to get a lot of information, but to find out for sure look at real estate sites. Best of luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM

93 posts, read 200,183 times
SpeedyAZ,
Thank you for the info. In reply to your questions:

Could you really narrow down what you want/don't want in a community? We would like housing that has a mountain view, not on top of each other (at least 30' apart).

Do you want a community with other people your age? Not necessary but would like to avoid "LOTS OF KIDS" in the neighborhood.
Do you want a gated/private community? No
Do you golf? Some; will do more once in AZ. Do not want to be in a golf community.
Do you like to eat out or shop quite a bit? Like to eat out twice/week. Fiance requires shopping.:-)
What are your interests? Hiking, Movies, Theatre, Astronomy, some golf, gardening, visiting historic areas. We don't want to have to drive over 30 min to get to most of these things.

Hope this helps!

Tom

Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM

93 posts, read 200,183 times
JGatti,
Thanks again for the advice.

Tom

Old 03-12-2010, 04:06 PM

123 posts, read 354,323 times
I would try North Scottsdale. You may find a bank owned house for that price. It is by far the nicest area in town and will hold it's value. I spend all my time in North Scottsdale because it there is so much to do and it is so nice. You pay a premium to live in that area but it is definitely worth it.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:11 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
I live and work in the North Scottsdale area and I can safely say that you can find a nice home in North Scottsdale, Fountain Hills and Cave Creek below $300K. These are nice homes in nice subdivisions like McDowell Mountain Ranch, Tatum Ranch and SunRidge Canyon.

Mod Cut: Soliciting.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-12-2010 at 10:37 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
I live and work in the North Scottsdale area and I can safely say that you can find a nice home in North Scottsdale, Fountain Hills and Cave Creek below $300K. These are nice homes in nice subdivisions like McDowell Mountain Ranch, Tatum Ranch and SunRidge Canyon.
I beg to differ, I also live in N. Scottsdale and most homes are going to be $400K and up. I just checked a few homes in McDowell Mountain Ranch and 6 were under $300K and out of those 6, they all were small (1600-1800 sq ft) and most needed some updating and work. I still stand firm that it's very difficult to find a move-in ready homes in N. Scottsdale for $300K.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM

15 posts, read 27,946 times
I have lived in Cave creek for the past year, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. THe area itself is beautiful, and it really has the old wild west feel in shops and restaurants. The desert landscape cant be beaten.

But if you are a friendly sort of person, used to chatting with the neighbours, you will be disappointed. THe people here are very status conscious. You are judged by what you drive, where you live, what you wear. If your wife isnt thin, with bleached blond hair, whitened teeth and a boob job, and if she doesnt look 20 years younger than her age, she will be shunned socially. Most social groups here have "requirements" before they allow yo uto join. There is a nail salon on every corner and they are packed all the time.

The climate is great even though its hotter than hell for five months. That can be helped by staying up to your neck in the pool, margarita in hand.

In your price range, you are looking at a subdivision tract home, in a gated community. Enough said about that. If you want an out in the country experience it will cost you considerably more.

On a positive note, you wont be lonely since EVERYONE from back home will want to come for a winter visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area