Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times

Advertisements

If one were to move there without a car, what would be the best route to use as a base route? I'm still learning the system, but the Scottsdale Rd route seems to be a good base route - runs early & late, provides access to much shopping/services and many E/W routes appear to intersect with it.

Are there other good routes to consider that would provide access to the most connecting routes and shopping/services?

Any good transit centers or park 'n rides to consider when reviewing areas to live in?

All advice welcomed! And no, job location at this time is not a serious consideration, I'm self-employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Whichever one serves the people of Surprise.

Wouldn't it matter where you lived in the valley?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
Bell Road is a major route, along with 7th St, they both run early and late and run often.

Typically almost every bus route picks up every 30 minutes, and on Sundays every hour.

Bus fare is $1.25 per ride, or $2.50 for a all-day pass.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
The routes along Central look like they run about every 5 or 10 minutes.

I like the Rapid routes that connect from the downtown station to the suburban areas, they run during crush hour times and make very few stops along the way.

Maybe you should check out the bus schedules yourself on valleymetro and make a decision, their website is Valley Metro | Welcome.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
The routes along Central look like they run about every 5 or 10 minutes.

I like the Rapid routes that connect from the downtown station to the suburban areas, they run during crush hour times and make very few stops along the way.

Maybe you should check out the bus schedules yourself on valleymetro and make a decision, their website is Valley Metro | Welcome.

Actually, I have checked out Valley Metro, and ride the various routes first-hand for a day each time I visit PHX.

However, like any city with an extensive bus system, some routes are better than others for reliability, run frequency, transfer timing, city coverage, etc., and only the locals know that. I learned it over a period of years in Dallas, but lucked into a good route immediately here in ABQ. I'm simply hoping for a little insight from locals who ride the bus regularly there in PHX - those who hopefully use it as daily transportation and more than just to/from work downtown.

From what I've figured out on my own from route reviews and first hand riding, I can already tell if I want easy coverage to events, shopping, grocery stores, housing, etc., I'm better off basing myself within the PHX city limits, rather than an outlying suburb. Which is fine with me, I grew up in the Arcadia area and currently have companies I do business with & family near or on Bell and in N PHX. I can rent a car for the times I need access to Mesa/Chandler etc. (areas off the bus routes).

Just looking for suggestions on routes I should look into further.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,738 times
Looks like they got rid of the $1.50 no transfer altogether, it's now $1.75 standard. It use to take me an hour and a half to two hours to get from Mesa (8th St. & Alma School) to Phoenix(43rd St. and Indian School). That was many years ago though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area