Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,804,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Areas around DT Phoenix have some AWESOME historic homes
Which neighbourhoods are safer? What are their price ranges for these neighourhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,804,435 times
the metro area will have lower density and seem much more car-centric....

I expect that much. But I thought older neighbourhoods would at least have sidewalks and built when homes had 1 car.

will seem much newer than Toronto....

Toronto seems much newer than European cities that I was used to. I've excepted that a long time ago. With grid systems and lot's of transplants, appears like it's an extreme version of the greater Toronto area.

still a bit of a friendly, casual, Western attitude in some areas, but fast-paced, self-important people in others....

As any self-respecting Brit will tell you, we rank higher than everyone else anyway. For self-important populations, we're only tied with Germans, who aren't arrogant, they're just better than you. Deeply superficial people don't bother me.

swamp coolers vs. refrigeration!!....

What's a swamp cooler?

gravel yards instead of grass....

In London, grass is paved over for parking spaces. I vote for the gravel and paving stones. No more gardening.

block walls around your backyard....

Why would there be block walls around a backyard?

you may be OK with some of the "historic" neighborhoods just N of downtown, like Encanto, Willo, Palmcroft, Coronado, and others....50-70 years old...convenient, maybe walkable, stable, becoming popular....smallish lots, lots of charm....

That sounds better.

lots and lots of suburban sprawl with houses all looking alike....these outer areas are where the home prices took the biggest hit and they'll suffer for a few years, I think....they aren't as stable as older, established 'hoods in town....lots of housing choices

If these neighbourhoods took the biggest hit, have the house prices in the older neighbourhoods kept their values?

not as conservative as you think....any large city will have a healthy mix, but it's more of a Libertarian "leave me alone" attitude here, in general....you won't be intimidated or seem forced to act a certain way, but don't preach to others....

Not conservative compaired to what? I find Obama conservative.

come out and visit....drive around down back roads, see a good realtor, walk around, chat up the locals, look at a map, stop for coffee at a local joint.......

Just trying to get some initial information before we invest in a trip and time off work.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,151,245 times
Two areas you might want to consider are the near north "waterfront" area of Scottsdale. Easy walk to downtown, art galleries, shops, restaurants, etc.

Also the Biltmore area of Phoenix. This is probably the most urban, upscale area. Lot's of older but high end homes and condos. Shopping, restaurants, art galleries. Close to every thing. A little bit busy, but that is how big cities are.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:00 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times
Glendale is NOT close to Sky Harbor Airport, Tempe is. If you are working in Scottsdale, as indicated, Scottsdale is a "tall" city on the map, narrow east to west, goes for 30 miles or more north to south. So, it depends on exactly where you are working in Scottsdale as far as what your commute from various locations in and out of Scottsdale would be.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,720,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I expect that much. But I thought older neighbourhoods would at least have sidewalks and built when homes had 1 car.
Yes, definitely. A lot of newer neighborhoods will have sidewalks too. Here in Willo we actually have a patch of grass separating the street from the sidewalk.
Quote:
What's a swamp cooler?
Slang for evaporative cooler. Archaic system using the fact that water cools the air as it evaporates. Works well in the dryer months but not at all in when the dew point rises (as in July and August). Some older homes may have them. I don't think that you can comfortably live with just a swamp cooler in Phoenix. Some people have both and use the swamp in the dryer months since they are less expensive to operate. Refrigeration is what the rest of the world calls air conditioning.
Quote:
Why would there be block walls around a backyard?
Most back yards (exceptions are in the more rural settings or places with view of mountains or golf courses) are surrounded by fence, in most cases fence that you cannot see through and is 6 feet high. People treat their yards as part of their living area and choose privacy. Quite jarring if you come from some place where putting up fences is considered unfriendly. The two most common materials for fences are cement block and wood. The block fences (can be stuccoed and/or painted) are considered better. They certainly stand up to the weather better.
Quote:
If these neighbourhoods took the biggest hit, have the house prices in the older neighbourhoods kept their values?
The historic neighborhood homes have gone down in value, but not as much percentagewise as in the suburbs and exurbs.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,563,467 times
Quote:
Which neighbourhoods are safer? What are their price ranges for these neighourhoods?
I wish I could tell you this information. I'm sure I'll become more acquainted with this type of information, but I don't live in the Phoenix area yet. In a couple months, I will be.

I believe fcorrales80 lives in/near downtown and may be able to give you better information than I could.

I do believe though that most properties in these areas can get to be kind of pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area