U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,283,278 times
Reputation: 2229

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Bingo.
In some still under water markets then, the pool may be worth more then the home

 
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 AM
 
1,232 posts, read 1,446,914 times
Reputation: 629
All those homes worth under $10k. I think those are the ones with cactus gardens in the ce-ment ponds. (I can't see that phrase without hearing Jed Clampett.)
 
Old 04-21-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Maine at last
399 posts, read 362,656 times
Reputation: 655
I'm a little glad to hear that a pool is an asset to some buyers. When I bought my home it had a 20x40' pool which appealed to us as we had 3 younger children. We couldn't afford to take a lot of vacations so the pool and surrounding area filled in that void and we were all happy for many years. As the kids got to be teenagers we were lucky as their friends spend a lot of time at our house therefore allowing us to keep a closer eye on the kids. Now I am thinking of selling and at my age it has become a difficult task trying to maintain it (the kids are gone). So it's nice to know that some people actually still prefer having them.
 
Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
17,441 posts, read 20,654,290 times
Reputation: 9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
In some still under water markets then, the pool may be worth more then the home
I don't get why you are commenting on this thread. You live in the UP of Michigan for heavens sake. Nothing could be further from AZ with respect to pools than that. You have been wrong on virtually every comment from water problems, to pools being converted to cactus gardens, to liability, to people with children. We do not have water problems in Phoenix, there are thousands upon thousands of pools in use, there is no liability insurance increase for having a pool here (yards are enclosed completely with concrete block walls), and people with kids want pools. In fact, having kids here without a pool is a very trying experience. You are welcome to your opinions, of course, but you appear completely uninformed about the local conditions, culture and market and those opinions have little value.
 
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM
 
27 posts, read 45,442 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
If more people wanted homes without pools, the standard appraisal value (again, based on what they observe in the marketplace, as in what sellers pay) wouldn't be $10,000 here in Phoenix, for most homes/areas. I suspect it's less or 0 in retirement communities but most neighborhoods, it's around $10,000. For higher dollar homes, it's more.
I would have to agree on the Retirement Community comments, for the most part. For us, the pool was important here in Sun City West. Being able to step outside into our own pool versus heading off to one of the Club Houses was a big plus. That said, we got the pool basically for free, as the comps were based more on lot size, location and proximity to the recreation centers.
 
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 AM
 
Location: South Tempe, AZ
14,120 posts, read 17,529,432 times
Reputation: 6336
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
I didn't say there was a "right or wrong." I said that, for us, it's worth the expense. That's a monetary value. Is simply stating "it's a money pit" a monetary value??? But ok, fine. For us, it's worth the "thousands of dollars" we paid to build the pool. And frankly, I'd say every topic has been discussed in other threads before.
I know you didn't say that, I didn't say you did. It's just a matter of personal preference, which has been discussed before, and is not the topic of this thread. If it was worth it to you, and continues to be, that's the best possible outcome for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I so agree Maverick...people who live in deserts do need pools.
Not everyone who lives in the desert needs a pool. I've lived here all my life, haven't had a pool at the house I live in for 26 years. Many of us don't have one, by choice other than financial. The issue in this thread is what value it adds to a house financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
...fact is most of the pools in AZ. have been filled in and transformed into a cactus garden....due to the water shortage.

As others have pointed out, this is totally incorrect. I would say the percentage of pools that have been filled in is small, and the percentage of those that have been filled in due to the owners' perception of a "water shortage" is very small indeed.
__________________
Terms of Service / FAQ /Information for Realtors
Moderator for Arizona and Nevada forums
 
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM
 
370 posts, read 293,718 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
As the kids got to be teenagers we were lucky as their friends spend a lot of time at our house therefore allowing us to keep a closer eye on the kids.
The same thing happened with us, in todays dangerous world as more parents realize this it could cause more people to want homes with pools.
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:17 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,283,278 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't get why you are commenting on this thread. You live in the UP of Michigan for heavens sake. Nothing could be further from AZ with respect to pools than that. You have been wrong on virtually every comment from water problems, to pools being converted to cactus gardens, to liability, to people with children. We do not have water problems in Phoenix, there are thousands upon thousands of pools in use, there is no liability insurance increase for having a pool here (yards are enclosed completely with concrete block walls), and people with kids want pools. In fact, having kids here without a pool is a very trying experience. You are welcome to your opinions, of course, but you appear completely uninformed about the local conditions, culture and market and those opinions have little value.
Now you are attacking Michigan again, I thought we were over that discussion, I guess not. A lot of comments here have not been about AZ. or even the SW in general. Furthermore is there a rule I should not come to AZ in the Winter? You seem to make it a real great place, "surrounded by concrete walls all connected". What a negative image you put forth, must be like living in a prison ? Many UP folks have a winter place in the SW , I have been there many times for social events, mostly Scottsdale and areas north.I know a fair amount of people who live there that have filled in their pool, and it WAS because of water problems. The one that comes to mind lives in Tucson, they have been posting on one of the social web sites very often, with pictures.They also told me Liability Insurance was higher than in places w/out a pool. ( can't say that today its the same, just someone else telling me, however these people have creditably.} I also know you can be prosecuted if your pool area is not fully secured. I am sure there are other restrictions also, considering so many homes with a pool.
Now you say , people that live in a desert do not have water problems ? You are wrong on that, plain and simple. Where do you think the water comes from, and at what cost ? All people do not live in little boxes all connected to one another ether.You may , and thats your like or dislike. I sure know where I would be on that one ! My reason why I entered this thread long ago is a blur now, as so much has changed in the discussion. There is always another side in any subject, real estate for sure My remarks reflect being in Real estate, as I was a builder, and a home seller many times over. I never even got into the cost of fixing up a pool in order to sell a house, it can be, as much as the house is worth in todays market. I find it hard to fathom others have not brought this up. I do need I guess tell you that my whole life has been about travel , all 49 states several times and have lived in many of them. You are not talking to someone stupid as you imply !
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,283,278 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I know you didn't say that, I didn't say you did. It's just a matter of personal preference, which has been discussed before, and is not the topic of this thread. If it was worth it to you, and continues to be, that's the best possible outcome for you.



Not everyone who lives in the desert needs a pool. I've lived here all my life, haven't had a pool at the house I live in for 26 years. Many of us don't have one, by choice other than financial. The issue in this thread is what value it adds to a house financially.




As others have pointed out, this is totally incorrect. I would say the percentage of pools that have been filled in is small, and the percentage of those that have been filled in due to the owners' perception of a "water shortage" is very small indeed.
I have to give on that remark. Should have proofed such a definite remark.Sorry. I still say owning a pool can be a tremendous expense, especially in the SW where temps and sun deteriorates almost everything.Owing a home with a pool can be a liability, if for no more reason than the maintenance, restoration, etc...which can equal the value of the house in today's market. I am very much aware, I have built, restored, several homes, one with a pool that had been neglected for years.
 
Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 PM
 
1,232 posts, read 1,446,914 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
I never even got into the cost of fixing up a pool in order to sell a house, it can be, as much as the house is worth in todays market. I find it hard to fathom others have not brought this up.
No one's brought it up because it's not true. The biggest 'fix up' expense in a pool is probably the periodic resurfacing, at maybe $2000-$4000 every 10-15 years. No one (wise) resurfaces their pool to sell their house. And no one's house is worth less than $4000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top