Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM

73 posts, read 152,605 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm moving to Goodyear this summer and have been reading as much as I can about the area. I keep coming across these "proposed" projects, but can't find any estimated date of completion or recent articles about them, so I am curious if they are actually being built or if it is just a "sometime in the next 20 years" type of situation.

The 3 things that I am most curious about are the city center (that will supposedly have a big library? <- I'm a major bookworm!), the ASU campus (finishing up my PhD next year, so that could be awesome for a teaching job), and a new mall. Does anyone know if any of these projects are actually going to be built anytime in the next couple of years?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
No one knows at this point as all continue to be pushed until the economy improves. I was unaware that there was serious plans for an ASU campus in Goodyear other than it being considered at one point.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
There were plans, but it's dead ....... basically ASU wanted the city to carry most of the cost and the new mayor/council decided that wasn't a wise idea

City Center has been delayed indefinitately

Basically city center was going to be broken into quadrants - educational on one end (they had some smaller universities commited like University of the Incarnate Word and Franklin Pierce), gov't library on another, residential mixed use and I believe parks

Looked really nice and then the economy dumped and funds dried up .... the big debate was to build a scalled down version of 1 quadrant (basically the gov't portion) and it was voted down

Just recently they have talked about a proposed park in the area (next to desert edge highschool) - but it's only talk at this time

I'm sure it's in the cities long term plans and something they want to do ........ just can't do it at this time

estrella falls (the mall) has delayed yet again ..... here is a decent recap

Developers delay Goodyear Estrella Falls regional mall again

I see the mall being completed before the gov't financed projects ....... i think we'll see the mall by the end of the decade ... probably not as much for city center

there are libraries in the area though .... a couple in avondale, plus the maricopa county library in litchfield park

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
there are libraries in the area though .... a couple in avondale, plus the maricopa county library in litchfield park
Goodyear has a library, is it so small you didn't mention it or did you overlook it? I've never used it so I can't comment on its quality but I have been inside it once so I know it is there.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Yeah - I know it's there, just not on my radar as it's not one that I ever go to ...... so basically an omission on my part, overlooked because I don't use it ...... i've been in a couple times, mainly on a referral for certain books that were checked in @ Goodyear and not in LP

It's tucked by some of the other city offices off litchfield & mcdowell

It's in the maricopa system and isn't bad considering it's size ....... I'm just more prone to be near the LP one or if they don't have what I'm looking for then to use the city of avondale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area