Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,217,898 times

Advertisements

This is one of those scams I was telling you about. If a physician recommends or mandates that you need a formal air ionizer or filtration system made by Honeywell or a similar company, get a new physician. Replacing your normal air filters according to its guidelines (the 99 cent ones need to replaced every 3 months) and vacuuming regularly with a simple vacuum cleaner with a hepa filter is good enough. And unlike 10 years ago, most vacuums now have a built in hepa filter. I know people who have bought these air ionizers "air filters" but there is no good evidence showing they work nor has any reputable physician academy or college recommend their use.

Remember, people have to make a living and so they will produce "evidence by the University" which essentially means nothing. If you see a double blind study claiming efficacy that was published in a reputable peer reviewed source like the Journal of the American Medical Association, the New England Journal of Medicine, Nature or Lancet then you can consider such an action otherwise there are so many faux magazines, websites or "journals" that are often owned by the companies that produce these things.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-06-2010 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 PM

295 posts, read 550,997 times
The story with the University research about the detrimental affects of Phoenix air on children is available for anyone to look at: Google "Phoenix air December 31, 2008" Similar studies have been done and confirmed in the Los Angeles area. Phoenix is ranked 47th out of 50 cities in air quality by the EPA for objective reasons. I don't understand why you wish to discount this information?

Evidence of studies done by Arizona State University and discussed by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality "essentially means nothing?"

Again, I'm posting this more so to learn about filtration systems one can use in residences in the Phoenix area to reduce the negative health effects of Phoenix air.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Hi yukon. Houston is ranked 41st worst out of 50 U.S. cities by the EPA.

Thanks for the HEPA link.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,566,076 times
OP, keep in mind there is a difference in 'bad' air quality because of particulate matter vs 'bad' air quality because of ozone and smog-causing pollutants. And that different health conditions will respond differently to each type of air contaminant.

Personally, I'll take the 'particulate' contaminants in PHX and ABQ over the 'chemical' contaminants in Houston any day.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Hi yukon. Well, I'm aware that the American Lung Association ranks Phoenix as the 9th worst for ozone pollution, and there are sometimes ozone warning days. A lot of car pollution seems to get trapped in the area.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:38 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,217,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
The story with the University research about the detrimental affects of Phoenix air on children is available for anyone to look at: Google "Phoenix air December 31, 2008" Similar studies have been done and confirmed in the Los Angeles area. Phoenix is ranked 47th out of 50 cities in air quality by the EPA for objective reasons. I don't understand why you wish to discount this information?

Evidence of studies done by Arizona State University and discussed by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality "essentially means nothing?"

Again, I'm posting this more so to learn about filtration systems one can use in residences in the Phoenix area to reduce the negative health effects of Phoenix air.
Show me evidence in a quality peer reviewed medical journal that shows efficacy of whatever "air filters" you are trying to sell us. It's one thing to say there is poor air quality, it's another thing entirely to say a device can improve that air quality. Replacing air filters, vacuuming one's home and a standard Hepa air filter that a person can buy at Walmart or Target is fine. But people don't need expensive air filters and air ionizers. Show me evidence in a peer reviewed medical journal like JAMA or NEJM that show these expensive filters are efficaceous. What's next, are you going to tell me to google air filter and efficacy? It's pretty obvious what you are trying to do. You are obviously someone who sells air filters. You are trying to (1) create interest and a sense of urgency to purchase your air filters by questioning the air quality (2) You will provide examples of air filters that you "heard about"

Mod Cut: Unnecessary.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-11-2010 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM

75 posts, read 130,116 times
PhoenixAirConcerns, there are a lot of high pollution advisory days. I think there isn't as much of a concern for grown adults that don't already have a pre-existing condition. For children, much more of a concern.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM

75 posts, read 130,116 times
azriverfan, I don't think PhoenixAirConcerns is trying to sell anything, but rather is looking for products.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 PM

38,964 posts, read 50,902,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbutdownn View Post
PhoenixAirConcerns, there are a lot of high pollution advisory days. I think there isn't as much of a concern for grown adults that don't already have a pre-existing condition. For children, much more of a concern.
How many days would that be? 1,10, 100? 365? How many high pollution advisory days have we had this year, for example?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM

197 posts, read 391,506 times
Take a look at HEPA systems online. From there you can get some specific numbers for prices. Regionally, it may be slightly different, but you should be able to get something comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: