Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
Take a look at HEPA systems online. From there you can get some specific numbers for prices. Regionally, it may be slightly different, but you should be able to get something comparable.
Go to Walmart and Target. They have HEPA systems there. Most vacuums have HEPA filters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
If OP is looking for a product recomendation, this is the system we have and love it.
Trane CleanEffects Allergy & Clean Air Machine & Clean Air Systems : Trane Residential
We noticed the difference right after it was installed.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:56 AM

295 posts, read 552,761 times
Hi azriverfan,

Here's one of the stories that helped raise my suspicion about health concerns and Phoenix air quality. Combined with my neighbor's child's experience, I tried to learn more about the situation.

Asthma's links to air pollution stir worry

The bits of dust and dirt so common in Phoenix's air may be causing more problems for asthmatic children than experts previously believed.
A new study released Tuesday found that asthma attacks and symptoms [COLOR=#0000EE ! important][COLOR=#0000EE ! important][/color][/color] in children ages 5 through 18 increased by 14 percent on the days Valley skies were plagued by high levels of particulate pollution.

The study, conducted by researchers at Arizona State University, is thought to be the first in the state to quantify a tie between poor air quality an children's health. [COLOR=#0000EE ! important][COLOR=#0000EE ! important][COLOR=#0000EE ! important][/color][/color][/color]

It also reveals that children are affected by coarse pollutants at levels below the federal government's health standard.

Steve Owens, director of the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, said he was surprised at the double-digit increase in problems on poor air-quality days.

"We went into this initially expecting to see some correlation, but we really didn't have any idea what levels we would see," Owens said.

"We were surprised at how significant of a connection there is."

The asthma-related problems tracked in the study are likely under-reported because only hospital data was measured. Children who went to their family pediatrician or sought no treatment were not included.

I think that if one were to live farther away from Phoenix in Arizona, there is less concern needed in this regard.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Did you read the study? It was an epidemiological study not a controlled study. Their study failed to show a direct cause and effect relationship. It didn't show how the pollution directly affected the physiology of these patients. Correlation is not causation. Saying that so many people visited the ER for asthma attacks during a particular time doesn't mean the pollution caused the asthma. Epidemiological studies are certainly helpful but they are not the same as a controlled study such as a randomized double blind study with a p value that would tell us if the results of the study are due to more than chance alone. Furthermore, did you notice that not one physician claimed the asthma was a result of the pollution in this article.

Nonetheless, I know you are going to try and scare people to buy an air filtration system. Again, please show proof published in a medical journal that an air filtration system aids asthma sufferers more than vacuuming frequently with a vacuum with a built in hepa filter and having a pet free home? Even things like washing bed sheets in hot water and replacing them can aid sufferers. If people have installed an air filtration system, great, but I don't want people who lack them to think they need one.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-13-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
If OP is looking for a product recomendation, this is the system we have and love it.
Trane CleanEffects Allergy & Clean Air Machine & Clean Air Systems : Trane Residential
We noticed the difference right after it was installed.
Thank you for the information, this be very helpful. Knowing that you were able to notice the difference right away, makes this an especially desirable trait. I've been researching it on the Internet already.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Go to Walmart and Target. They have HEPA systems there. Most vacuums have HEPA filters.
OK, I didn't know they sold them at retail locations such as the ones you listed. That may be a less expensive alternative, but I would need to research the performance more.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
OK, I didn't know they sold them at retail locations such as the ones you listed. That may be a less expensive alternative, but I would need to research the performance more.
Google is our friend

Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Google is our friend
Good call Grannysroost. I thought it would also be helpful to hear the experiences of others regarding this topic. I think it's in everyone's interest to live healthy and well, especially with the cost of medical care these days.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
Good call Grannysroost. I thought it would also be helpful to hear the experiences of others regarding this topic. I think it's in everyone's interest to live healthy and well, especially with the cost of medical care these days.
Of course, but you seem to be ignoring azriverfan's comments about the meaning of the "study" you put such faith in.

I'm sure the folks who sell air filters are happy for people like you who will latch on to such a study as a reason to shell out $$$$ for their products. Buy them if it will make you feel like you are doing something, but sometimes the sky is not falling (or toxic) in all the ways studies like this want us to believe.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Hi observer53, here is information on Phoenix ranking 47th out of 50 cities by the Environmental Protection Agency: Air Quality - 2008 US Cities Sustainability Ranking by SustainLane.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: