U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:42 AM

162 posts, read 229,546 times
Traffic is nowhere near as bad as LA. I went to LA recently, YIKES. Yes we have traffic here too, and it can be a pain sometimes, but in most areas the streets are laid out in a nice 1x1 mile grid and if the freeway is choked up, you can always take a parallel street, and in many cases there are access roads running along the freeways, Sometimes I've seen people take those until they get past a bottleneck on the freeway and then hop on the freeway. I wish we had more freeways though. I commute to work from Peoria to the Biltmore area (24th and Camelback) We're talking about approx 16-18 miles depending on route you take, and there is no freeway along the route, except I take I-17 for a few miles sometimes and Grand Ave is somewhat like a highway. My commute takes about 30 minutes when there is no traffic at all. It can take 50-60 minutes when the traffic is really bad, but there are always options to change the route if you encounter bottlenecks. I found LA drivers to drive faster than phoenix drivers lately (since the cameras were installed here) but my experience has been that quite a few AZ drivers can be very rude, running red lights and just doing insane things that I haven't seen around LA (Except for bikers driving between lanes on the freeway in LA, now that's insane).
The heat in the summer, it's a lot hotter than LA, but even more dry.
Phoenix is nothing like LA in terms of time it takes to get out of the city or to a place where you can do outdoors activities. Heck, I go hiking during lunch at a mountain park that is 10 minutes from my workplace. Even if you're downtown Phoenix, it's probably not even 15 minutes drive to Camelback mountain or Piestewa Peak. South Mountain is not much more than that either, really if at any time you feel the need to get out of the city, you can be out in the desert in less than 30 minutes no matter what part of PHX you're in. That's one thing I really like. In LA you have to drive for at least 2 hrs before you're anywhere close to an open area (except for the beach, but parking is crazy there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 PM

1,128 posts, read 919,130 times
It's true that the heat does make a difference or can , in peoples schedules.
I thi nk Phoenix is a pretty good place to live. I moved here from Tucson and have lived in SLC, Las Cruces NM and originally came from OH (in 1988) I have gotten used to living inn this big city and there is lots to do. There are a lot of cultural entertainment, museams, sports, and outdoor activities.
The bad thing of course is the economy right now and AZ is suffering a lot. I've been llucky enough to stay employed, I do work a graveyard shift in a health care field, I pick up second jobs when I can. I love the warm weather and bar-b-cuing is popular here. Museum always have free days every month, if you want to just check it out or trying to be frugal for awhile. I think rent is getting cheaper because landlords are having a hard time renting.....traffic in my opinion is bad here. Lots of careless people out there but ur probobly used to it living in LA...lol.
There are a lot of family events that happen here-we have some nice malls and theres a park named Encanto that has rides and fishing located in central Phoenix. I also like Indian Steele park in central Phoenix. Again, in order to enjoy the parks here i the summer, u really have to go before 10:00 am or after dark...seriously. I sleep during the day anyways but in the summer my kids stay up late and sleep during the day too cuz its just sooo hot to go out much.....
If the summer heat gets to u can drive up North and be in cooler weather in a couple of hours-just to spend a day out and see something new!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 7,040 times
Take frequent weekend trips (short flights) to Las Vegas and Orange County... used to do that when I had money... other than that not much to do.

The heat is really not that bad at least in May,June,October, you can go running in shorts at sunrise, or swim at midnight... there are lots of unusual things like that that makes the heat a positive, the August/September monsoons also are wonderful... except they don't come every summer.

In general lack of rain, trees, green ... LACK of humidity that makes your skin feel so bad all the time are all bigger issues for me. Dry heat, dry climates in general have their downsides, that nobody tells you... go to Houston or Miami in the summer and it will be rough but also feel like heaven in a way... like stepping into a sauna... while all the natives of those places do nothing but complain, someone from here can actually enjoy it.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:01 PM

1,128 posts, read 919,130 times
I think not having humidity here is a real plus. I remember the old days back in OH and trying to put on make-up with sweat pouring down my face.....uuhhggg.
Its nice when it rains here during the summer monsoons-when we get monsoons-but the humidity afterwards combined with the heat really sucks!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM

23 posts, read 25,015 times
the state fairs near phoenix have become like most state fairs in the US, places for rowdy teenages, perps, and gang members to hang out and ruin it for everyone else.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed76 View Post
the state fairs near phoenix have become like most state fairs in the US, places for rowdy teenages, perps, and gang members to hang out and ruin it for everyone else.
I don't know of many state fairs that are like that. At least - not the Minnesota State Fair. Or Wisconsin's...

Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM

16,900 posts, read 19,978,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I don't know of many state fairs that are like that. At least - not the Minnesota State Fair. Or Wisconsin's...
I wouldn't put Arizona State Fair in that category either. I was at the State Fair with my family this year and had a good time. My time was not ruined by rowdy teens, gang bangers or "perps". They must have been in another part.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 PM

123 posts, read 192,791 times
There are more outdoor activities than most US cities in Phoenix area due to the warm climate and no snow. Most people enjoy hiking, biking, and walking. Tennis and golf are also very popular here.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 PM

266 posts, read 331,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wouldn't put Arizona State Fair in that category either. I was at the State Fair with my family this year and had a good time. My time was not ruined by rowdy teens, gang bangers or "perps". They must have been in another part.
The way DPS saturates the fairgrounds with uniform and plainclothes officers during the fair permits them to isolate any problem before it gets out of hand.
Doesn't hurt either that the DPS headquarters is just across the street from the fairgrounds too.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:11 AM

4,487 posts, read 9,943,157 times
A typical Monday through Friday for someone living in Phoenix is pretty much the same for any major city (with the exception of having to shovel snow off your car ).

My typical daily schedule:

Get up at 6:30 a.m.
Turn on FOX 10 AZ Morning
Make coffee
Shower/brush teeth/etc
Leave for work at 7:45-8:00 a.m.
Get to work by 8:30-8:45 a.m.
Work from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Get home by 5:30 p.m.
Have a glass of wine or whiskey watching the evening news
Have supper at 6:15 p.m.
Watch tv/computer
Go to bed at 10:00 p.m.

Repeat 5 days in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area