U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2007, 08:40 PM

3,546 posts, read 4,664,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
IMaryvale Village Location

"Maryvale Village creates its perimeter boundary with Grand Avenue/Interstate 17 (Black Canyon Freeway) to 83rd Avenue to McDowell Road to Indian School Road to El Mirage Road, to Bethany Home Road to 99th Avenue to Camelback Road."
That's correct. Some parts of Maryvale (such as the far western section) are less crime ridden because it's a newer part. But the majority of Maryvale (the older parts) tend to be high crime areas. I remember about 25 years ago when I went through Maryvale one time, there were signs of the area going downhill: graffiti on walls, wire fences around unkept front yards, buildings in disrepair, kids running around unsupervised in the streets, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW
North to Bethany, as well. The "Maryvale Terrace" area.
No, that's ALHAMBRA. That section I believe is slightly more middle class than Maryvale in general, but still has a fair share of crime, especially along the west side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMan
Personally I think sunnyslopes is a worse area than maryvale.
The Sunnyslope I've always known isn't anything to brag about ... but I think it has a closer community feeling than Maryvale. Sunnyslope used to be occupied by older, lower income people, and was even home to an Amish community at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander in AZ
Is this area really that bad?

The Ramada Limited - Tempe University
1915 E Apache Blvd
Tempe, AZ 85281
Apache Boulevard isn't all that great. It's kind of like Tempe's version of Phoenix's Van Buren Street: lots of older, cheaper motels & apartments. If you're looking for cheap, that might be OK ... but a nicer place is the Courtyard by Marriott in downtown Tempe.

Here's their website:
Courtyard By Marriott Tempe
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 PM

3,229 posts, read 5,924,373 times
Quote:
Personally I think sunnyslopes is a worse area than maryvale.
Article about Sunnyslope and how it is becoming the new hot area

Sunnyslopetopia

Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,184,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
No, that's ALHAMBRA. That section I believe is slightly more middle class than Maryvale in general, but still has a fair share of crime, especially along the west side.
WRONG. I have papers to prove it. Alhambra stretches from 43rd Ave to 7th St, and from Thomas to Northern. I was speaking of the neighborhood from 51st to 75th or so, Camelback to Bethany, MAYBE Maryland at the furthest. Maryvale Terrace.

I'm right and I know it!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:35 AM

130 posts, read 278,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Apache Boulevard isn't all that great. It's kind of like Tempe's version of Phoenix's Van Buren Street: lots of older, cheaper motels & apartments. If you're looking for cheap, that might be OK ... but a nicer place is the Courtyard by Marriott in downtown Tempe.

Here's their website:
Courtyard By Marriott Tempe
Comparing a Ramada to a Courtyard is a far stretch, especially given their respective locations. And let's try to stay on topic here.....

I stopped at the Target store on 75th Ave and Thomas the other night, and was surprised at how ordinary everything seemed in the area (for PHX). My next stop was the post office next to Maryvale's hospital. Again, a perfectly pleasant experience. But I would still keep in mind the earlier post that outlines the targeted area of criminal activity.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:58 AM

22 posts, read 42,836 times
Here is the postal map of the Maryvale zoning:
Maryvale, Phoenix, Arizona Zip Code Boundary Map (AZ)

Old 05-23-2009, 01:43 PM

10 posts, read 20,622 times
maryvale is from 43rd ave to 83rd ave from east to west, and from camelback to about mcdowell from north to south. That's what the signs say at least. it has it's good and bad parts, but Phoenix is strangel like that you can be in a nice area and be avross the street from a not so desirable area. Overall I don't think the crime is really that bad it depends where your from also, because me being from Houston and living in Phoenix area for 4 years never looked at the South or West side as too bad or violent. Crime is everywhere just have to have common sense. Even Chandler has bad parts in the Valley every little town does so too me it's all in the company you keep and watching your surroundings. Hope that helps some.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:48 PM

8,165 posts, read 9,843,117 times
yep - maryvale isn't the nicest plot of land, but it isn't a dangerous area to pass through ..... you just need to use your head ...... it's a neighborhood in the city of phoenix and like many part of the city things can get a bit sketchy, but overall for a city of this expanse and population I think the crime here isn't all that bad

Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 PM

2,270 posts, read 3,667,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Article about Sunnyslope and how it is becoming the new hot area

Sunnyslopetopia
Thanks for the article. My uncle had a gas station in the early 50's that sold Golden Eagle gasoline, about 5th Street and Dunlap. Mostly poor white people lived there then. The movie theater, Pix, was across the street.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 3,667,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Survivor83 View Post
maryvale is from 43rd ave to 83rd ave from east to west, and from camelback to about mcdowell from north to south. That's what the signs say at least. it has it's good and bad parts, but Phoenix is strangel like that you can be in a nice area and be avross the street from a not so desirable area. Overall I don't think the crime is really that bad it depends where your from also, because me being from Houston and living in Phoenix area for 4 years never looked at the South or West side as too bad or violent. Crime is everywhere just have to have common sense. Even Chandler has bad parts in the Valley every little town does so too me it's all in the company you keep and watching your surroundings. Hope that helps some.
Crime is where the criminals live, they have cars. Better neighborhoods close to Maryvale may actually have more robberies than Maryvale does. I have been through the area on occasion and I think the city does not enforce its own zoning laws in Maryvale.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:31 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,292,229 times
It's all relative in Phoenix. How bad is bad? Maryvale has BAD parts and it has also experienced the most significant drop in crime (homicide, assault, robberies) in the Phoenix metro area. Does that make it the best hood??? Well, no but not every part is bad and there are many good areas as well...just home to many lower or low-middle income minority families in which some suburban whites would be afraid to live because of appearances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area