Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 AM

124 posts, read 509,268 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had to make a deposit when ordering services from Cox communications. My husband and I have lived in 3 other states and have never been asked for a deposit from a cable company before. Is this normal practice for AZ or are cox just picking on us?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:56 AM

208 posts, read 819,571 times
Default credit??

Not to offend at all, but usually companies ask for a deposit if your credit isn't up to par. I know that every utility company, cable company, phone company, heck just about all companies pull your credit to determine if they want to risk letting you have service.

If they see somewhat of a risk, they ask for a deposit. You may want to check your bills on those other states that you moved from, maybe you had a small balance and you were not aware of it, you moved, they couldn't find you, and wham, you get a mark on your credit.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
Not to offend at all, but usually companies ask for a deposit if your credit isn't up to par. I know that every utility company, cable company, phone company, heck just about all companies pull your credit to determine if they want to risk letting you have service.

If they see somewhat of a risk, they ask for a deposit. You may want to check your bills on those other states that you moved from, maybe you had a small balance and you were not aware of it, you moved, they couldn't find you, and wham, you get a mark on your credit.
Thanks for your response. I am so very aware of the credit issue, we have only lived in the country for 3 years (from the UK) it took a 1 year to be able to get a credit card (we still own a house in the UK but good credit history is not transferable across the pond!). We now have several credit cards and have not experience a credit based issue in a while. We move frequently with my husbands job and have always forwarded our mail, there wre no outstanding balances on the credit report the last time I checked. Maybe Cox just have higher standards than other cable companies!

I did tell the Cox lady that I wasn't planning on stealing the cable box!

Old 12-06-2007, 12:13 PM

208 posts, read 819,571 times
Default lol

I can't speak for Cox cable, but in Jacksonville, FL we use comcast. They did run our credit for cable services, and Bellsouth (now AT&T) ran our credit as well.

I guess you will be better off when some people that are actually in AZ respond. I'm trying to live vicariously through them for the time being, until I make it to AZ.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:23 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachiie View Post
Has anyone had to make a deposit when ordering services from Cox communications. My husband and I have lived in 3 other states and have never been asked for a deposit from a cable company before. Is this normal practice for AZ or are cox just picking on us?
I agree with ComputerGuy, Rachiie . . . it is usually based on your Credit Score!

However, considering your circumstances, getting the deposit waived may be possible if you speak to a supervisor.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I agree with ComputerGuy, Rachiie . . . it is usually based on your Credit Score!

However, considering your circumstances, getting the deposit waived may be possible if you speak to a supervisor.
Thanks for your help, I am dialling Cox as I type!

Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,797 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help, I am dialling Cox as I type!
Are you still on hold?

I've had uninterrupted Cox service for so many years, I honestly don't remember if they required a deposit.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:13 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,030 times
I've lived in various states, and on occasion a utility company requires a csh deposit, usually small.

I had to give SRP a $200 cash deposit for an electricity account. I've found in Phoenix, consumers are treated as risks regardless of credit rating. Like you are a deadbeat by default until proven otherwise.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
I agree with the deadbeat comment. I have literally solid gold credit, not so much as a piece of dust on my credit report as far as the eye can see. When I was transferred to Washington DC, I had to leave a large deposit for electric (not cable though).

A friend of mine who worked for the power utility said it was because of the frequency of moves in and out of the area. Apparently, it was deadbeat central, and they merely assumed that everyone was a deadbeat.

When I moved to AZ, same thing, large deposit for power, but none for cable.

I suspect it depends on many factors. I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to number of moves or location. Although it shouldn't be, it probably is.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:54 PM

27,339 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Quote:

When I had it they made me put a deposit too but I think they check your credit, to see if you pay your bills on time or not. Im one of those who wait till the last possible moment before paying mine, so of course veryoe wants one from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: