Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,060 times

Advertisements

Hey there, Phoenix residents. I'm coming to the Phoenix area for the first time at the end of this month.

I'm going to see Paul McCartney at the Jobing.com Arena in Glendale on the 28th. I'm staying at the Ramada on Grand Ave in Peoria.

Does anyone here live in Glendale or Peoria? Does anyone here frequent those areas?

I've heard people on this forum with nothing but negative things to say about Glendale. And Peoria is hardly mentioned around here.

Is Glendale a sketchy area like people say?

Is Peoria a rough part of town as well?

What do both suburbs mainly consist of?

Thanks everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:45 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Hey there, Phoenix residents. I'm coming to the Phoenix area for the first time at the end of this month.

I'm going to see Paul McCartney at the Jobing.com Arena in Glendale on the 28th. I'm staying at the Ramada on Grand Ave in Peoria.

Does anyone here live in Glendale or Peoria? Does anyone here frequent those areas?

I've heard people on this forum with nothing but negative things to say about Glendale. And Peoria is hardly mentioned around here.

Is Glendale a sketchy area like people say?

Is Peoria a rough part of town as well?

What do both suburbs mainly consist of?

Thanks everybody.
Both cities have rough areas as well as up scale areas. The area around Westgate is transitional. The area around the Ramada is older and there is a ton of road work is going on. With both cities just remember that North West are the better locations. Tons of dining options at Westgate or Arrowhead.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Glendale is a very big place land wise. Check it out on a map. I have a sister that lives in Glendale with her husband in a very nice neighborhood. I also have a brother that lives there in a not so nice part of Glendale. As far as Peoria, I have a 2 sisters that live there and have never seen a bad part of Peoria yet. Not that I have visited the entire community.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:29 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,060 times
If I drive through Glendale and Peoria (say on Grand Ave or Olive Ave), would I run into any of those rough areas?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
The same negative b.s. rumors you hear about Phoenix exist regarding Glendale too. Every negative comment on citydata is exaggerated so you will have people trying to depict most of Glendale and Peoria as being bad. It's the opposite. Glendale and the West Side have improved considerably. It's fine. I would be happy living in Glendale or Peoria if I had to. Sure, there are some bad areas but there are really nice luxurious areas as well.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 PM

125 posts, read 252,593 times
Well Im moving to Peoria in July from Ny and I just love the whole area...

Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
grand avenue is really nothing nice - the area right at grand and glendale isn't bad, but mostly it's old, industrial and not a desireable area

the area south of downtown glendale is also not very nice

there are some fine spots that are established in both cities - older neighborhoods that are perfectly safe if not shiny and new - there are some rougher neighborhoods

however, even with the rougher neighborhoods you just need to use your head - it's not necessarily dangerous to pass through - the threat isn't high for mugging/shooting if you are just minding your own business ....... but you should pay extra attention so you don't wander into a bad situation

the area around the venue is fine - you'll probably be OK at the ramada, but you could definitely do better for neighborhood

Old 03-17-2010, 09:13 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The same negative b.s. rumors you hear about Phoenix exist regarding Glendale too. Every negative comment on citydata is exaggerated so you will have people trying to depict most of Glendale and Peoria as being bad. It's the opposite. Glendale and the West Side have improved considerably. It's fine. I would be happy living in Glendale or Peoria if I had to. Sure, there are some bad areas but there are really nice luxurious areas as well.
Nicely written.

I remember when I moved here Glendale was getting a reputation as a seedier part of the west valley, thankfully that has improved with Westgate, Arrowhead, and a few other nicer developments.

There is surely more going on now in Glendale than back then.

There was a time when it seemed like just another average suburban area with a lot of people, but that is changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area