Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 PM

44,566 posts, read 61,338,989 times

Advertisements

[quote=ibarrio;834094]Phoenix will never catch up to So Cal...Which has about 20-24 million people.

The LA Metroploitan area has just over 12 million people. The Phoenix Metropolitan area has just over 4 million. Experts at the State , County and City levels predict the Phoenix area to meet up with the So Cal area in approx 25 years.
Go west of Phoenix and see. The western part of the area has plans for over 2 million on the books for the next 10 years and then south to Tucson another 6 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:38 PM

8,260 posts, read 13,346,933 times
I just moved here from Laguna Niguel (Orange County) last Thursday.

Yes, it is hotter, especially in California people refer to this time of the year as "May Gray", it is overcast, cloudy, sometimes rainy but generally quite cool almost cold (high 60s during the day and in the 50s during the night), now to me that is too cold especially when it is pretty much Summer time. Phoenix (north part) is around 103-107 degrees during the hottest time of the day which I noticed from 1pm to 5:30pm. As sun starts to set, it seems to cool off quite a bit (mid to high 80s). It is my opinion that thanks to dry heat the temperature feels 10-20 degrees cooler than how it feels in So Cal. Some might argue but when Cali gets in the 70-80 percent humidity range, even 80 to 90 degree tempr. becomes annoying. If you don't mind feeling warm (but not sweating all that much), you can even roll down your window during the day while driving but between 11am and 6pm, using the AC is probably best for those who are more heat sensitive.

The biggest challenge for me was finding a place to rent (almost all apartments do a background check which is a good thing but for some getting results from former CA people and especially Orange County people can take up to 3 business days during that time you have to check in to a friend's house or hotel. Other than that, getting used to this city and making new friends will be my only other concern...any single cute girls over 25 and under 35?

I just got down registering by truck (2004 Silverado) and getting my AZ license $25 for 30 years where CA license cost like $18-$20 for 5 years). My truck's last year CA registration was around $284, here it cost $265 for a year and $478 for two years so contrary to what some said it is a bit cheaper ($26 less per year) to register for 2 years in a row.

Grocery shopping is about the same but some other items might vary but for the most part, it is the same. Utilities might cost a bit higher here especially the electric bill if you love to keep your skin cool. I have my AC at 80 and use the ceiling fan of the room I am in and I am quite comfy. The biggest difference is the cost of housing/rent out here and that is the main reason I moved down here. I like my Summers warm when it is dry heat and if that is the worst time of the year, it is a small price to pay.

This former So Cal resident is going to love living here so should you....

~TL

Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 PM

458 posts, read 774,724 times
[quote=nitram;835029]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Phoenix will never catch up to So Cal...Which has about 20-24 million people.

The LA Metroploitan area has just over 12 million people. The Phoenix Metropolitan area has just over 4 million. Experts at the State , County and City levels predict the Phoenix area to meet up with the So Cal area in approx 25 years.
Go west of Phoenix and see. The western part of the area has plans for over 2 million on the books for the next 10 years and then south to Tucson another 6 million.
L.A. county alone has 10 million people. When people say the L.A. Metro area, they usually mean L.A, Orange, Ventura, Riverside and San Bernadino counties. That puts you to 18 million.

The Greater Phoenix Economic Council Regional Profile adds about one million people to Phoenix by 2020, to 5 million.

http://www.gpec.org/infocenter/Reports/Fact%20Book%20PDFs/Regional%20Profile.pdf (broken link)

So we still have a gap of 13 million people. Plus L.A. will still be growing, there is still some land out in the high desert (Antelope Valley) to build on.

Show me one link to anyone official saying Phoenix will catch up to L.A.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,582,735 times
My point exactly. We will be dead and long gone before Phoenix can catch LA. Maybe the LA city limits but that is not really LA Metro. LA Metro is what he said above and it has 20 million people.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:47 PM

44,566 posts, read 61,338,989 times
Phoenix to catch up with Los Angeles in Growth within 10-20 years. There are several articles for you to read about it starting with the following:

Phoenix Metro are to catch up with Los Angeles - Google Search

Old 06-06-2007, 06:18 PM

27,264 posts, read 27,326,525 times
Im from there and came out here about 12 years ago. When I first came here to Southern Az (just south of Phx) from Northern Az it didnt seem as unbearable as now but Im not a desert lizard and am getting older so have been looking into other areas of relocating. The people I hear 'its not that bad' are the ones who have lived out here for the majority of their lives and probably have developed a tolerance but Im not one of them. My kids are grown and on their own, and I have family scattered in 4 states and all the signs Ive been seeing for the past few months (including physical) have been pointing other directions must be for a reason....
Everyone needs to see for themselves though, because opinions will vary and peoples physical tolerances are all different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area