Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

98 posts, read 286,404 times

Advertisements

Speaking of not going to the movies anymore, on a side note, I noticed Blockbuster is forever changing their pricing and late policies. I still don't understand how they stay in business. Back around Dec 2009, they sent me a $1.99/movie pass that worked for any rental (new movies included). So, I took advantage and rented a couple of movies. Of course, me usual avenue is to rent from RedBox because it's just a buck.. but then you must commit to watching the movie "that day" so you won't start paying extra each day ($1 a day).

However, Blockbuster ditched their $1.99 (pilot program?) and are now charging basically $5 for every movie in the store now (actually, before, they were only charging $1 or $2 for non-new releases). So, I told them, good luck with your new pricing structure. Yeah, you get to rent the movie for multiple days, but it's still expensive IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM

23 posts, read 51,964 times
Netflix baby! We have made a pledge that we will never go to a movie again because of the high costs of food, tickets, and the fact that you can't bring your own stuff to munch on. And of course most movies that have come out are crap now anyways. We wanted to see 2012 but were willing to wait until it came out on netflix. My wife and I are also trying to develop more interests that pertain to Arizona like camping, hiking, traveling within the state, checking out local mueseums. We have not done most of this yet but as soon as my semester is over and her hours go down we will do all this.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:21 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Lately we have been sitting and not watching t.v at all. Most of the stuff on is garbage and I am so tired of fancy cake competitions, so we read. I have been reading biographies of dead rock stars for some weird reason. Moon, by Tony Fletcher is about Keith Moon, original drummer for the Who, and it is a fascinating story and history of rock. So many good books, so little time.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Those who get mad at people that need help are called Republicans. Ok, not all..but for the most part.
Those that charge republicans as the only people who are insensitive may be considered morons.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Sometimes one has to walk in anothers shoes to see how it is. I get mad every time I see the news that Republicans are holding up bills or passing bills that hurt people that need it the most. last week I saw on the news that the AZ house rejected giving people unemployment benefits that work part time or some temp jobs, although thet are missing out on millions of dollars they would have received from the fed gov. This really makes people not want to take any part time or temp job b/c they are afraid of getting cut off and not having the stability of a guaranteed income-no matter how small. And I know its hard for many and very frustrating not to be working and worry about everything, and having to reapply for unemployment is difficult. When I was out of work last year I tried to apply and it was so difficult and i got the run around...I gave up and luckily got the job I have now. So anyways, my point is I think that was another bad move that the AZ state gov made.
And now I see that AZ has joined the lawsuit against the federal government. This is ludicrous and taxpayers are going to be paying for it!
Obama was elected b/c people do want health care reform. I can understand maybe some parts they don't like about the bill or may want to compromise. But stil for the Republicans to fight it tooth and nail..and waste time fighting it instead of trying to work with the administration? This is hurting people who need healthcare. People are losing their incomes, their homes , even their lives. republicans do not seem to care about the average person struggling, they could have introduced some sort of bill or reformed health care so it is affordable to Americans, and yet they did nothing in alll these years. yet when a democrat comes along and tries to do something they sure do everything they can to thwart it.
I know not all Republicans are against the poor and struggling but it does seem that every single program that comes along to help they want to do away with it or cut it out entirely, and that is not helping our nation.
I have to agree with a lot of what you say and I can't believe how the Republican party is playing the "nose to spite your face" game. It's been pointed out that this administration based the health care plan largely on the one that's been in MA for a few years now and was begun by Mitt Romney. But now he acts like he wants to distance himself even from that!

Everytime I hear that "the majority of the U.S. doesn't want health care" it makes me seeth. They obviously haven't asked EVERYONE and how they can base what the majority of people think of a measly couple thousand is beyond me. They've never asked me or anyone I know and we are all for it!

Yes, there will have to be compromises made. There usually are with any bill that's passed but I get the distinct feeling that it's not so much about healthcare as it is about Pres. Obama himself. They are determined to thwart him at every turn. Remember the "Waterloo" remark?? I think I'm happy we finally have a pres. who honestly DOES try to keep his campaign promises. He RAN ON that platform, in part, but I guess they chose not to believe him. They simply do not like him and that's the long and short of it.

There are so many complications when it comes to jobs. At this point I don't care if the states DO get 'pork projects' if it'll put people back to work. I only object when the 'pork' goes to the bigwigs, etc.. I don't much care anymore how the jobs get here, just that they do. I have confidence that things will get a lot better in time but that is the operative word. TIME. We didn't get here in a day or a week and we sure won't get out of it that fast. I am patient enough to wait it out and Obama...who isn't responsible for every little thing out of DC anyway...is doing okay, in my book. We still have 2 1/2 years till the next election and I fully expect things to be better by then. If not? We'll see.

I can't paint all Republicans with the same brush but the ones in DC are sure earning my disrespect. I've voted Republican as well as Democrat because I never ever vote for the party. I DO vote for the individual and will continue to do that.

What I don't get is the huge anger from people. The death threats, the ethnic smears and all that. I know that past presidents and administrations have been bad mouthed but this time it's so bad it actually scares me sometimes when I watch/listen to it. The majority of people aren't going to act on it, even if they are angry, but I don't put anything past the fringe nuts.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
This needs to go back on topic please...If you choose to discuss the political "blame" especially on a national level, there is politics forum.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM

23 posts, read 51,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
This needs to go back on topic please...If you choose to discuss the political "blame" especially on a national level, there is politics forum.
AMEN for that!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
We mostly wait until the movie comes out on the DVD rental. Then we Redbox or Blockbuster Express it. But some movies are just meant to be seen on the bigger screen of the theatre so we do make exceptions once in a while. I also occasionally have to have my popcorn dripping in pseudo butter fix or I get withdrawal symptoms....
Yes I totally understand, everyone needs to get naughty in some way.
I keep forgetting how much Americans love their food and eating. I think one of the hardest thing to sell in this country is an indoor scale. Life is stressful and for those of us who are not wealthy, I think eating and shopping is pretty much the only entertainment left. At least all the subliminal voices telling you so cannot be wrong, right? (wrong followed by right, that sounded a bit odd).

Quote:
BTW Turco, long time no see. Welcome back!
Thank you. Did anyone miss me? I didn't think so...
Well, once in a while I disconnect and disappear....soon enough I will fall of the grid for good! I love people but I dislike this crazy cyber society we live in.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
Speaking of not going to the movies anymore, on a side note, I noticed Blockbuster is forever changing their pricing and late policies.
I hadn't been in a BB for years and stopped in the other day, also somewhat shocked at the $5/movie charge. I was a Netflix guy for a long time but sometimes like impulse browsing/renting. In any case, the clerk suggested their self-service kiosks, which are popping up everywhere. I drove about 3 blocks to the kiosk and grabbed 2 new releases for a dollar each/day. If there's one in your neighborhood it's a decent option and as easy to use as an ATM.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Those that charge republicans as the only people who are insensitive may be considered morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area