Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

My family constantly complains that I'm always walking through the house turning off the lights anyway.

"How can you see?"

"What are you, part bat?"

"Hey! I'm in here. Don't turn that light off."

So I'm doing my part 24/7. Much to the disgust of everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:39 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My family constantly complains that I'm always walking through the house turning off the lights anyway.

"How can you see?"

"What are you, part bat?"

"Hey! I'm in here. Don't turn that light off."

So I'm doing my part 24/7. Much to the disgust of everyone else.
LOL sounds like me! Only i'm doing it not just to save energy but to make our electric bill cheaper

Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM

192 posts, read 470,956 times
I seriously think we should have a "No Tsunomi or Earthquake" week too, since we're all so in control of the Earth.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:53 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
I seriously think we should have a "No Tsunomi or Earthquake" week too, since we're all so in control of the Earth.
If we could....we would. Or would you be against that too?

Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I didn't know they were doing that tonight but in any case I try to do what I can to respect our planet and be responsible by recycling and not littering.
I don't think JD expected to get so many smart-ass responses...he was only asking after all.
I know some people take things to extremes but caring about our environment and wanting it to be able to support future generations is not something I think should be ridiculed!
This.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 PM

124 posts, read 369,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
With responses like those to the OP, I am renewing my love for Phoenix!

Main street is resisting the tree huggers as well as big government and bailouts. The tide is turning.
Yeah, pretty sure the Earth doesn't need to be "saved" from "disastrous global warming". Yes, it's a good idea to conserve electricity and recycle and what not, but it's incredibly arrogant to think that we as humans are the primary cause of global warming. The global mean temperature is cyclical, and we are likely in a slight warming trend. Like have these environmentalists forgotten that big star in the sky that produces 400 trillion trillion watts every seconds called the sun? It goes through periods of increased activity, which could certainly explain the cyclical nature of global mean temps.

Oh yeah, the environmentalists are too busy hugging trees and crying about how we're destroying the planet.

I turned on a few extra lights, just to be defiant No crazy environmentalism for me, thanks

And don't blame me, I didn't vote for Obama

Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I didn't know they were doing that tonight but in any case I try to do what I can to respect our planet and be responsible by recycling and not littering.
I don't think JD expected to get so many smart-ass responses...he was only asking after all.
I know some people take things to extremes but caring about our environment and wanting it to be able to support future generations is not something I think should be ridiculed!
The "Earth Hour" means different things to different people.

Not littering, cutting down on pollution, saving energy, saving money- those are all smart things to do. Every day I recycle and turn off lights not in use. However, I don't believe this is really at all at the core of what the proponents (the WWF) of "Earth Hour" care about.

Indeed, their mantra is that -don't laugh now, I'm serious- they think humans are causing the planet's climate to change! And that the solution is to tax the high producers and users for their activity (aka 'cap and tax') as a punishment. The long term effect of this will be to effectively slow productivity of the best of humanity, relative to the rest of humanity. A 'spread the wealth' technique, if you will, that will hinder the prosperity of the achievers.
Fortunately we do have a chance at sanity, as only about 1/3 of Americans (according to a recent (Feb) Rassmussen poll) currently believe human activity causes global warming.

Anyway, to me, Earth Hour stands for the myth of 'global warming', and that is why I mock it. Instead, I use Earth Hour to celebrate the ingenuity and technical achievement of mankind by firing everything I've got on all cylinders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area