Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The key benefit is creating higher education for the high tech workforce in the area, and if you know anything about economic development, you know that a highly educated high tech workforce is a major draw to high tech employers. And Chandler has a great reputation of bringing these kind of projects into fruition, unlike some areas where this would just be a pipe dream.

It's certainly better than what Surprise has to offer in the way of jobs, which is Wal Mart and a Waffle House, etc. You'll learn soon enough, when you actually live there.
Could you enlighten me on the projects that Chandler has created where higher education brought in employment other than from the school itself? Also with the University towns in Arizona I am lead to believe that Tempe, Tucson, and others with Schools also then have a high percentage of business that are near the campus areas that provide jobs not related to the institution but that moved there to ensure a highly educated work force. Is that what you are saying?

If a school opens then the business will follow? I suppose that all areas that have a major University level presence will infact have plenty of industry in the area. I would like to see some examples of this in Chandler, and in the other communities with schools. If any can name business entities that came about or moved to the area because of an educational institution please let me know about it.

I will not address the work situation in Surprise, as I have stated in other posts that I am still working on the coast and have not as yet found employment in the Surprise area or anywhere else within the valley that meets my current income goals. I agree with you that Surprise needs additional places to work. I will say this that they do have much more than a Wal-Mart and a Waffle House. You forgot to mention the Sonic. lol

To tell you the truth their is quite a bit of employment opportunities in the Surprise area, they just don't have the income I desire.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I definitely don't agree with a lot of what Ponderosa has to say on this either as I'm of the mind that there are good and both in bad and as growth continues to happen it will be pretty much an equilibrium point

it does raise a good point in your conversation though

I go to about 6 hockey games, 3 NFL games and numerous spring training games each year - I do make it to ASU every now and again for sports, but I have no real ties other than enjoying it

i do love concerts and at cricket and jobing.com usually 2-3 times a year

places like the celebrity, marquee, dodge, gammage, improv, symphony hall, etc are only 30 minutes away at most so it's not imposing to make the trip when what I want to see is down there

one negative thing about having the ballpark in goodyear is that they moved the outdoor symphony peformance from Estrella down to the ballpark

a lot of it comes down to what you enjoy doing - if you hate sports than being next to a bunch of venues means nothing - if you have no interest in theater it doesn't matter if the best performing arts center is in your back yard - if you don't eat out then restaurants are of no importance - if you shop at a generic retailer it doesn't matter if saks is nearby

there are things that I do wish were closer (like the queen creek olive mill, farm @ south mountain, etc) - however, for the most part I have good proximity to the things I enjoy and use the most

Old 03-30-2010, 03:35 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Could you enlighten me on the projects that Chandler has created where higher education brought in employment other than from the school itself? Also with the University towns in Arizona I am lead to believe that Tempe, Tucson, and others with Schools also then have a high percentage of business that are near the campus areas that provide jobs not related to the institution but that moved there to ensure a highly educated work force. Is that what you are saying?

If a school opens then the business will follow? I suppose that all areas that have a major University level presence will infact have plenty of industry in the area. I would like to see some examples of this in Chandler, and in the other communities with schools. If any can name business entities that came about or moved to the area because of an educational institution please let me know about it.

I will not address the work situation in Surprise, as I have stated in other posts that I am still working on the coast and have not as yet found employment in the Surprise area or anywhere else within the valley that meets my current income goals. I agree with you that Surprise needs additional places to work. I will say this that they do have much more than a Wal-Mart and a Waffle House. You forgot to mention the Sonic. lol

To tell you the truth their is quite a bit of employment opportunities in the Surprise area, they just don't have the income I desire.
The only business that ASU has created is t-shirt shops, bars and tat parlors.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I think the entire valley is outdated with its endless burb sprawl.

Tempe is the only place where I don't have to drive 10 miles to get to a grocery store like I live in the country.
I grew up in the country and one of the things I like about my suburban existence is that I don't need to drive all over for good options on things like groceries

within 5 miles of my house there are 7 places to buy groceries (with an 8th about to open)

once that one opens i'll have the following within 2.5 miles of my house - Frys Marketplace, Super Target, Safeway, SuperWalmart & Bashas with a Fresh & Easy in the planning stages .... this isn't counting mini-marts, specialty places like CostPlus World Market, etc

Old 03-30-2010, 03:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
with the University towns in Arizona I am lead to believe that Tempe, Tucson, and others with Schools also then have a high percentage of business that are near the campus areas that provide jobs not related to the institution but that moved there to ensure a highly educated work force. Is that what you are saying?
Essentially, yes. Chandler continues to attract high-tech employers because there is the understanding that there is a large presence of educated high-tech employees in the area. This was recently sited by a company that is in the process of moving it's headquarters to the SW part of Chandler. The purpose of the UA campus is to specifically target those high tech workers that may need more higher education or training, and the thought is that more educated workforce = more employers tapping into that.

Here is another article that discusses the project as a whole, with a little different information, not just the High-Tech education component.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/news/article.asp?docKey=600-201001221534KRTRIB__BUSNEWS_29798-0BU2MUCIRN1IF863EVC24EFSCC&params=timestamp||01/22/2010%203:34%20PM%20ET||headline||Plan%20in%20works %20to%20develop%20former%20Motorola%20site%3A%20Ch andler%20project%20called%20Continuum%20could%20em ploy%209%2C000%20[The%20Tribune%2C%20Mesa%2C%20Ariz.]||docSource||The%20McClatchy%20Company||provider|| ACQUIREMEDIA||realtedsyms|||US%3BMOT|US%3BINTC&tic ker=INTC:US

Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I grew up in the country and one of the things I like about my suburban existence is that I don't need to drive all over for good options on things like groceries

within 5 miles of my house there are 7 places to buy groceries (with an 8th about to open)

once that one opens i'll have the following within 2.5 miles of my house - Frys Marketplace, Super Target, Safeway, SuperWalmart & Bashas with a Fresh & Easy in the planning stages .... this isn't counting mini-marts, specialty places like CostPlus World Market, etc
Good grief, yes. If you live in Goodyear around the freeway, you would be within 3 miles of just about every imaginable "place". When you think about it, though, almost all of that has come in the last few years. There was squat out here 10 years ago. Things change in a hurry in PHX. I think ignorance about what has changed is at the core of some of these dumb west side versus east side discussions.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:54 PM

i think so as well

I was travelling in MN and met a guy who was living in Brooklyn Park (which is where I lived when in the cities and often gets a bad rap) who pretty much tried to crap all over me for living in Goodyear and before that glendale (by the arrowhead mall)

he hadn't been in the valley in over a decade but continued to remain very firm in his expert opinion that both those areas were horrible

heck, my dad was born in mesa because it was the closest best medical facility for the farmers living in chandler - so by that chandler is nothing but farm land with lacking medical facilities

Old 03-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Essentially, yes. Chandler continues to attract high-tech employers because there is the understanding that there is a large presence of educated high-tech employees in the area. This was recently sited by a company that is in the process of moving it's headquarters to the SW part of Chandler. The purpose of the UA campus is to specifically target those high tech workers that may need more higher education or training, and the thought is that more educated workforce = more employers tapping into that.

Here is another article that discusses the project as a whole, with a little different information, not just the High-Tech education component.
LOL! The purpose of the UA campus was to add some credible intellectual might. ASU is a powerhouse only in the minds of her alums.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:58 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
LOL! The purpose of the UA campus was to add some credible intellectual might. ASU is a powerhouse only in the minds of her alums.
Oh boy, here we go.

As long as my wife and I are each able to command incomes well into the 6-figures, I don't care about anyone else's opinion. Especially those from the West Siiiiide.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i think so as well

I was travelling in MN and met a guy who was living in Brooklyn Park (which is where I lived when in the cities and often gets a bad rap) who pretty much tried to crap all over me for living in Goodyear and before that glendale (by the arrowhead mall)

he hadn't been in the valley in over a decade but continued to remain very firm in his expert opinion that both those areas were horrible

heck, my dad was born in mesa because it was the closest best medical facility for the farmers living in chandler - so by that chandler is nothing but farm land with lacking medical facilities
I was thinking a little while ago that the last time I was in Scottsdale, there was no 101 going there. I took some freeway but it ended at Shea. Scottsdale, to my memory is a really hard place to get to. It shows I know nothing about that part of town, but it also shows that people living in the west parts don't have any need to go there either. One of the things I like about PHX is that it is replicated over and over like a rubber stamp on the map. You can live your whole life in your own little corner and never even know the rest of it is out there. And you can draw your impressions about the parts you don't live in just driving through on the freeway!!! Armed with this insight, you can come on the forum and tell us why your side is so much better than our side .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area