Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 04:23 PM

11 posts, read 87,571 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have lived in Arizona for almost 3 yrs now. I was attending ASU and recently joined a job in Scottsdale.

I am looking for a new place around Tempe/Scottsdale where I can find people my age who are out-going.

I have searched around the forums and haven't had much luck. Also, I think people here in Arizona are overall warm with Internationals but I know certain areas where people are just outright stupid.

It would be great to get your views on this.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
I know certain areas where people are just outright stupid.
Just curious but where are these areas that you're talking about?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Hi,

I have lived in Arizona for almost 3 yrs now. I was attending ASU and recently joined a job in Scottsdale.

I am looking for a new place around Tempe/Scottsdale where I can find people my age who are out-going.

I have searched around the forums and haven't had much luck. Also, I think people here in Arizona are overall warm with Internationals but I know certain areas where people are just outright stupid.

Note that 'Asian' encompasses quite a few different ethnicities and cultures. And Americans of Chinese heritage (especially Eurasians) for example are a different breed of cat vs FOB Chinese.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 17,081 times
I can tell you that it is different than a single guy starting out a living in Boston. Since the city is pretty spread out, it is a little difficult for you to find friends as easy as you could otherwise find in other metros.

You might just start liking a solitary life, enjoying cactus views and going out on the desert alone for fun! : )

Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
That really depends on you. If you have to be surrounded by lots "Asian" people then there are only a handful of cities that you could realistically live in SF, LA, NY, and Seattle. If you want to have a good time and you don't care about the color of the skin of the people you hang out with then Arizona is a great place to meet people as people move here from all over the United States and are in your same situation of not knowing anyone. I would live in Old Town Scottsdale and meet people through work like 99% of the population of young single people do.

Phoenix and Scottsdale have a lot of Asian people but you won't find droves of only-Asians or FOBs walking down the street. Try SF, LA, NY and Seattle for that.

I moved here from LA in my mid 20's not knowing anyone. I'm Hispanic and I have friends that are Indian, Chinese, Korean, Hispanic, Caucasian..you name it and I personally found it was easier to meet people here than in LA because I didn't have to compete with cliques and people who went to the same high school. Everyone moved here from LA, Chicago, Seattle etc and it was really easy to meet people. I can tell you this much, being a Hispanic male, the women in this city have a lot less issues with race than other cities. My African American friends had no trouble dating non-African Americans and that was certainly not the case in cities like Dallas, New Orleans, Boston and Atlanta.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
meetup.com has quite a few groups for Asians in the valley, some are oriented towards business networking, others for culture and language, etc.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 PM

42 posts, read 277,355 times
Quote:
Hi,

Have you moved yet? Where did you end up? I am thinking about moving down from Seattle and am gravitating to Old Town Scottsdale based on all the comments throughout the forum. I'm interested to know how things turned out for you.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:14 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichTa73 View Post
Have you moved yet? Where did you end up? I am thinking about moving down from Seattle and am gravitating to Old Town Scottsdale based on all the comments throughout the forum. I'm interested to know how things turned out for you.
You're addressing a year old post. The o/p hasn't posted since 2010. I doubt you'll receive a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area