Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 PM

7 posts, read 10,830 times

Advertisements

Hello All,this forum is very interesting and very informative.l am planning to move to phoenix in the November of this year,currently l am in tucson.l work in healthcare,l am hopeful l will find work with ease.l need help in deciding where to settle: here are my stats:No kids,early 30's and a black woman.any advice will be highly regarded.l need to decide where to settle and then find a job that is conveniently located.

thanks for any input......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:38 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,490 times
Phoenix, Phoenix or near Phoenix?

I think maybe job first then go from there for living arrangements. I would say Chandler is nice or Ahwatukee, but that could be too far a drive for you.

House, apartment, condo, rent, buy?

Chandler hospital is near plenty of apts. Since you are in Tucson I would think you have a car. I don't know the bus runs that well.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Well,l know l will not have any problems finding work in the field that l am in,this is why l need to find an apartment first then go from there,yeah l have a car.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM

chandler,gilbert,scottdale???????? which one??

Old 04-03-2010, 04:59 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
Hi Ebony, I too am a AA female that will be relocating to Phoenix from NC by the end of 2010..Really intersting in hearing your pespective as AA woman living in the Southwest...Pros/Cons....Nightlife.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:09 PM

HI westcoastbabe,l think you will like AZ,besides the v hot summers,its mellow here,everyone seems to mind their own business.do you know where in phoenix your moving to?phoenix has more nite life than Tucson definitely.Not a huge AA community here though,so dont be surprised

Old 04-03-2010, 05:32 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebony33 View Post
chandler,gilbert,scottdale???????? which one??
What about Tempe, Peoria, Glendale or Mesa? Maybe something near the South Mountain area of the city too. Out of the four suburbs I mentioned, I think Glendale might be the one to pick. Chandler would probably be next in terms of suburbs with a decent amount of Black people, relatively speaking.

Then, you have smaller places like Goodyear, Buckeye, El Mirage, Surprise, Maricopa, Avondale, Eloy, Florence and Casa Grande to consider too. Florence has the highest percentage of Black people out of these communities at around 10% according to the census estimates.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-03-2010 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Remember that between a very low AA population here as well as the fact that the Jim Crow laws were overturned here in the Phx area ca. 1953----------Black folks can and will live anywhere. The 'segregation line' tends to be how much $$$ a person has.

Too; the mayor of the Town of Paradise Valley is a Black man. Note that PV is uber affluent----------at almost makes N Scottsdale look 'ghetto'.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:00 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember that between a very low AA population here as well as the fact that the Jim Crow laws were overturned here in the Phx area ca. 1953----------Black folks can and will live anywhere. The 'segregation line' tends to be how much $$$ a person has.

Too; the mayor of the Town of Paradise Valley is a Black man. Note that PV is uber affluent----------at almost makes N Scottsdale look 'ghetto'.
I know. I just gave that information to give an idea of residential patterns in the area for Black people there. I did notice that Black people live throughout the area with percentages ranging from 3-10% in many of the suburbs I mentioned.

BTW-Cool info. on the Paradise Valley mayor and for those that don't know, just look here: http://www.ci.paradise-valley.az.us/index.aspx?nid=80

Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM

thanks everyone............ l think l will look into Glendale....... what streets/avenues should l consider more than others,and which one should l stay away from?any input highly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area