U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:36 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,460,706 times

Advertisements

Last week on the news there were two separate cases of little girls almost being abducted here in Phoenix. I know they caught one guy, not sure if they caught the other.
I am so glad these girls were smart and feisty enough to fight back....which likely saved their lives!
I just want to remind parents to watch your kids and please remember we live in dangerous times with a world full of sick pedophiles, so you really can never let your guard down and neither can kids.
A few good things that can save your child:
1. Teach them about stranger danger. Let them know it's not just strangers that can harm them...it could be a neighbor, a family friend, a friends dad, brother, cousin, etc.
2. Teach them to fight back if they are attacked, and make noise. I always tell my kids that even if someone had a gun pointed at them not to get into a car with them b/c once they are in a car theres no telling what remote area they would be taken to or what may happen to them then. A persn trying to kidnap someone wants to do it as quickly and quietly as possible not create a scene and get arrested.
3. Teach kids how what to do if they ever found themselves locked in a trunk. They can try to brake out a tailight, or stick their hand out the light socket if possibe, or they can pull wires apart to make the lights go out , possibly drawing the attention of the police.
4. Most importantly, always talk to your kids, let them know to let you know if someone is making them feel uncomfortable if someone is doing something to someone else (even if they jsut have a bad feeling about that person) And know who your kids hang out with or get to know the people of friends where they want to spend the night, you woould be shocked how many kids my own kids had spend the night that the parents didn't even meet me first or see how we lived! I practically interogate parents of kids whose house they want to go to!
5. If your kids walk to school try to have them walk with at least one more child...there's safety in numbers.
Child abuse and abduction is a major problem in this country, not just Phoenix. Everytime I see another story on the news about a missing child or a murdered child it just breaks my heart, and I hate to see any parent go through it.
But preparing kids and and teaching them to be street smart at least gives them some leverage against these monsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 23,447,504 times
It is sad that this world is full of sick, demented people that could do something like that. I do not have any kids, but if I did I would be worried sick about them all the time.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Yep, my kids get mad at me sometimes and think I'm paranoid that's why I often have them watch the news with me to remind them there is real danger in the world.

Last edited by phoenixscorpiogirl; 04-03-2010 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 04-03-2010, 08:28 PM

295 posts, read 483,974 times
Very scary. There are so many of these in the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 AM

178 posts, read 540,148 times
Where did this take place???

Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,095,351 times
So you mean there are more sickos and pedos then in the past. Seems like its over stated and its something the media loves to latch onto for ratings.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoga View Post
Where did this take place???
I know one was in Glendale...I don't believe they caught that guy yet but the kid gave a really good description. The other, I am not sure where it was but they did get that bast***.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
So you mean there are more sickos and pedos then in the past. Seems like its over stated and its something the media loves to latch onto for ratings.

I don't know if there are more but it seems like it.
Statistically, more kids are abducted and/or molested by people they know. But sadly, kids that are abducted by strangers are more likely to be murdered.
I don't know if the media shows these for ratings and I really couldn't care less about that, b/c it's important for people to know when incidents like this happen to remind them to watch their kids and teach them what to do!
I do not think it is overstated. Does anyone remember the horrible murders of little Adam Walsh or Samantha Runion in CA? I don't think those parents think it's overstated! Even if it's 1 child that's 1 child too many

Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 AM

178 posts, read 540,148 times
I appreciate you wanting to educate and warn people, but I think incomplete information can be damaging. Indeed, you have good suggestions for us to pass along to our kids, but it doesn't seem that you have facts, so I am also concerned about spreading fear. This doesn't seem like the right forum for this.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM

197 posts, read 346,746 times
There were also 3 children visiting from Colorado that were kidnapped last week. This seems to be a growing problem in the Phoenix area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or