U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 AM

28 posts, read 68,884 times
Default Cockroaches in Phoenix area?

Are there many cockroaches in AZ? I went to FL several months ago and just had the worst experience with huge flying cockroaches everywhere! So I was wondering if the Phoenix and Gilbert area were the same since the weather is so hot. Thanks for the help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 AM

10,481 posts, read 14,343,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody8423 View Post
Are there many cockroaches in AZ? I went to FL several months ago and just had the worst experience with huge flying cockroaches everywhere! So I was wondering if the Phoenix and Gilbert area were the same since the weather is so hot. Thanks for the help!
There are tons of cockroaches in Phoenix. I used to live in one apartment that looked like Joe's apartment. However, I know the ones in Phoenix have little wings on their back, but I have NEVER once seen them fly (thank God).

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:23 AM

42 posts, read 98,090 times
There are lots of roaches in Phx. area, unfortunately. I have seen them flying along the canal banks. I had one fly and latch onto my leg while biking once. I almost wrecked trying to get it off me. Yuck.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:34 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,775,232 times
Yes, there are MANY, MANY cockroaches in Phoenix.

A good amount of them are sewer roaches, so they will enter your house through the drain in your sink or bathtub. Then they will scurry across your bathroom floors and infest your house if they find a food source.

I think some posters are getting flying cockroaches mixed up with palo verde beetles. Those are HUGE flying roaches that have a hard-shelled back, so they making a smacking noise whenever they land. They have a tendency to fly in people's faces but are harmless.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 AM

9,026 posts, read 9,604,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Yes, there are MANY, MANY cockroaches in Phoenix.

A good amount of them are sewer roaches, so they will enter your house through the drain in your sink or bathtub. Then they will scurry across your bathroom floors and infest your house if they find a food source.

I think some posters are getting flying cockroaches mixed up with palo verde beetles. Those are HUGE flying roaches that have a hard-shelled back, so they making a smacking noise whenever they land. They have a tendency to fly in people's faces but are harmless.
Keep in mind that Miamiman has a history of being critical of Phoenix and prefers Tucson to Phoenix. Please explain how these sewer roaches are unique to Phoenix considering this is how roaches enter every house in the country this way????

And this thread is quite silly since cockroaches are EVERYWHERE! They can survive everywhere. Some of the respondents above imply that this is somehow unique to Phoenix when every city in the country has them. In fact, Phoenix probably has less because of the dry climate. Sorry but the science doesn't back your opinion. How are you going to explain how these bugs can be greater in Phoenix with less humidity than other cities with higher humidity. There are far more cockroaches in Tucson because it is more wet in Tucson and they receive a higher average rainfall than Phoenix which is around 12 inches of rain

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 19,978,250 times
I saw an occasional giant cockroach in the house in Ahwatukee, never in my Goodyear house. I've seen the little ones in the garage here and the little ones are thick in the water valve box for the irrigation! City of Phoenix used to spray the manholes. I've heard Scottsdale is bad for them.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 AM
zox

344 posts, read 100,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody8423 View Post
I have not experienced any cockroaches in my home. I do keep it clean and I have my place sprayed twice a year. In general, flying insects are scare here due to the lack of moisture in the air and the high temperatures. They struggle to survive in arid environments. We do have our type of pests such as scorpions, rattle snakes, coyotes, havalinas but this will also depend where you live in the area. In general, one of the advantages to living in Phoenix is the reduced number of pests and insects due to our environment. Cockroaches are one of those pests that very durable and can survive in almost any climate. Therefore, the number of coackroaches you see will be dependent on your cleanliness, and if you undertake measures to control them such as having your home sprayed at least once a year and having cracks sealed when possible.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 AM

9,026 posts, read 9,604,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I saw an occasional giant cockroach in the house in Ahwatukee, never in my Goodyear house. I've seen the little ones in the garage here and the little ones are thick in the water valve box for the irrigation! City of Phoenix used to spray the manholes. I've heard Scottsdale is bad for them.
Funny because the last time I saw cockroaches was when I lived in the west valley in Arrowhead Ranch in Glendale. I haven't seen any since i've lived in Chandler. Arrowhead is also the only place I've seen a scorpion and a rattle snake.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:35 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,806,378 times
My parents house in Arrowhead had a small cockroach problem for a while, but nothing major. When I lived in the ASU area, I would only see one or two a year in my place, and it was easy to get rid of them. When I bought my house in South Tempe, I had a bigger cockroach problem for the first year or 18 months that I owned the place, when I would find at least one a week getting into my house, but after a little pest control, I don't recall seeing any at all for the following 4 years. I don't recall ever seeing any in my current home in Chandler, except one when on the sidewalk when I was out checking the mail, and I have been here 5 years now. The one area that I have been that looked to be infested was at Phoenix College in Central Phoenix. I went to a football game there one night, and the sidewalks and campus area were covered in roaches. I think realistically, they are everywhere, but in my experience, it has not been an issue at all.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:46 PM

123 posts, read 192,908 times
I haven't seen any cockroaches in Phoenix. It's not humid so there are less bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area