Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times

Advertisements

You and I have different opinions.

Gates are a deterrant. That's the key. Therefore crime is less likely. I live in a gated apartment complex. There are mostly non-gated apartment complexes nearby. Guess which of the two types of apartment complexes is lower in crime?

I would not label it snob appeal simply because my reason for being behind gates is higher safety. I was burglarized in Scottsdale once - in a non-gated community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
snob appeal explains some of it, to be honest....in my opinion, crime is not significantly lower in gated areas....probably fewer Jehovah's Witnesses, but I doubt that's why gated areas exist.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
Thieves are lazy types. They will go for the easiest takes. The easiest takes are non-gated communities.

Just like a truck with a truck club and alarm parked next to another truck without a truck club and no alarm - same year, same model. Which one is more likely to be stolen?

Be honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
Don't rule out a neighborhood simply because it has a gate which, in reality, likely does absolutely nothing to keep thieves from getting away with stolen property. (Anyone here have to code/badge OUT of their gated community? I didn't think so.)

Rule a gated community out because the HOA is run by power-mongering troglodytes. (Most are.)

Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
This type of post is really insulting to many residents of Scottsdale. What are you trying to achieve by name calling?

Just because a person decides to live in a particular city (and there are 250K of us in Scottsdale), does that automatically make them a snob that is on an "invisible high horse"? Just because a particular city has many affluent residents, doesn't make them all of a bunch of snobs. Please, save your baseless insinuations.
I'm sorry if I offended you.

Scottsdale is a nice well-to-do city but it's full of people who seem to enjoy throwing their money around to make an impression.

There are lots of nice neighborhoods in other parts of the metropolitan area similar to what can be found in Scottsdale for more reasonable financial terms.

My home in Avondale is in a very beautiful newer area, not a gated community but still full of nice respectful people, no gangs, no crime to speak of.

We don't need to shell out the big bucks for security prison gates or fancy cars in our garages. Our neighborhood is fine and affordable the way it is.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:20 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
I was thinking about the same think, especially the razor sharp wire on the walls part
The only place I've ever actually seen razor wire on top of a fence...other than a prison...was when I went through Carmel, CA. I figured it must be a very rich persons home and they were making sure nobody got in! But an entire community? Nope.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:59 PM

124 posts, read 661,193 times
I lived in a nice gated place in N Scottsdale and NONE of the neighbors were snobs at all....actually very down to earth and openly friendly!!! I was in Sera Brisa in DC Ranch...at one time the houses sold for over 1M, but now are only about 650K range....Not once did I encounter any snobbery in Scottsdale....Yes, we have money, but hubby works his butt off for it, and we don't have expensive cars, toys, and whatnot...you never can tell....I am also covered in tattoos... and very down to earth and caring......I LOVED Scottsdale.....the neighborhood I live in now in MN is upper midddle class, and FULL of snobs!!! People who live in my neighborhood now are living paycheck to paycheck and can barely make their house and car payments, but scrape by every month for appearances sake.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:12 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

Scottsdale is a nice well-to-do city but it's full of people who seem to enjoy throwing their money around to make an impression.

There are lots of nice neighborhoods in other parts of the metropolitan area similar to what can be found in Scottsdale for more reasonable financial terms.

My home in Avondale is in a very beautiful newer area, not a gated community but still full of nice respectful people, no gangs, no crime to speak of.

We don't need to shell out the big bucks for security prison gates or fancy cars in our garages. Our neighborhood is fine and affordable the way it is.
If I could afford to live in the upper crust parts of Scottsdale, I would. Those who are wealthy and are able to afford these nicer areas should be able to live where they choose. Who cares if they're snobbish or not? Chances are that people who talk down about the more affluent are probably just envious of their lifestyles. I only wish there were MORE cities like Scottsdale in the Phoenix metro area. We need a greater percentage of higher calliber people around here.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If I could afford to live in the upper crust parts of Scottsdale, I would. Those who are wealthy and are able to afford these nicer areas should be able to live where they choose. Who cares if they're snobbish or not? Chances are that people who talk down about the more affluent are probably just envious of their lifestyles. I only wish there were MORE cities like Scottsdale in the Phoenix metro area. We need a greater percentage of higher calliber people around here.
Actually, if I were truly wealthy I'd want to live in gated community of one... me! LOL!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
I don't understand why. I have family who live in gated communities in So Cal. When I visit I just get in the line with the actual homeowners and the guards always wave me right through. And they've done it when I was driving a 20 year old Taurus, tucked in amongst the Ferraris and Lambos. Maybe they think I'm the "help" late for work.

I'd prefer to have my own gate with a camera where I could buzz people in from my front door.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

So basically you don't like people with more money than you.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM

15 posts, read 89,853 times
Because most of Phoenix has high crime. People pay for protection and security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area