Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So basically you don't like people with more money than you.
I never wrote that.

I easily associate with all people, wealthy, poor, and middle.

It might come across as jealous on my part but I really dislike snobs of any wealth class, especially the people who put on the air that they're better than everyone else just because they live in a Mc Mansion or go heavily in debt to buy a fancy car for showing off.

Much of Scottsdale impresses me as lots of people who fit in that category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM

203 posts, read 491,392 times
You obviously don't know much. Yes, maybe about 5-10% of people in certain sections of Scottsdale are show offs and 30k millionaires. The rest are hard working great people. Thus, it's not unlike other parts of the valley. You sound quite jealous.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
You obviously don't know much. Yes, maybe about 5-10% of people in certain sections of Scottsdale are show offs and 30k millionaires. The rest are hard working great people. Thus, it's not unlike other parts of the valley. You sound quite jealous.
Call it what you want but I would rather be an authentic jealous average peson than a fake plastic snob.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 AM

65 posts, read 218,249 times
I see people saying it doesn't work, I mean a gate obviously is not gonna keep out maybe robbers or thieves, but they will for the most part keep out drive by shooters, or child abductors, or car thieves, those are the people I would really be worried about but the gate drastically brings those chances down. Scottsdale is a newer area also, many of the newer area's have gated communities even the ones in South Phoenix. It's also sort of a west coast thing, communities in Las Vegas, LA, and Phoenix are a lot more likely to have gated communities than other cities i've been to.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 PM

168 posts, read 549,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrchrd View Post
I see people saying it doesn't work, I mean a gate obviously is not gonna keep out maybe robbers or thieves, but they will for the most part keep out drive by shooters, or child abductors, or car thieves, those are the people I would really be worried about but the gate drastically brings those chances down. Scottsdale is a newer area also, many of the newer area's have gated communities even the ones in South Phoenix. It's also sort of a west coast thing, communities in Las Vegas, LA, and Phoenix are a lot more likely to have gated communities than other cities i've been to.

I agree. I bought a house in a gated communmity in Southern California. When I was looking for a home I was looking at the crime data website of the local police department (there is another site called www.localcrimenews.com )The police department had a map using Google Maps and they spot out all the crime reported on the map. I look at the map and the data only go back 3 years and there was only one reported incident in my community which was something was taken from a parked car. This was reported as a theft which mean the person reported could have lost the item some where because this was not a buglary incident due to no sign of force entry to the vehicle. Anyway some gate works, and some gates dont and certaily not crime proof. Look at your local police department crime data map and other crime data maps on the web and determine for yourself if your gated community works.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:27 PM

187 posts, read 980,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
I was thinking about the same think, especially the razor sharp wire on the walls part
Roughly 9 years later, I'll address. It is to be a secure neighborhood, only access through the two armed gates. True, people do occasionally cut through the perimeter fencing.

There is a reason outside crime rarely happens; it is typically punk teenagers within the community causing the trouble. When in the neighborhood, it is very comfortable feeling. You would have no idea such security exists without seeing it.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:04 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
Roughly 9 years later, I'll address. It is to be a secure neighborhood, only access through the two armed gates. True, people do occasionally cut through the perimeter fencing.

There is a reason outside crime rarely happens; it is typically punk teenagers within the community causing the trouble. When in the neighborhood, it is very comfortable feeling. You would have no idea such security exists without seeing it.
Is it in a rough area? Sounds a little over-the-top.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:55 PM

656 posts, read 813,621 times
Security theater, just like at the airport. The illusion of safety.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:33 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Security theater, just like at the airport. The illusion of safety.
Perhaps. Even so, the gate undoubtedly discourages some people. It shouldn't be the only line of defense, so people go one or two steps further.

The advent of Ring doorbells and cameras provides some additional visibility (so to speak) into those who are wandering the nabe and shouldn't be. It's easy to alert Scottsdale PD and send the video.

It appears most people in our neighborhood have private security systems as well.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:22 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
Catering to the irrational fears of Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area