Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 12:00 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,282 times

Advertisements

What does it take to establish paternity in AZ? I'm already on the birth certificate but this wasn't done at the hospital. If I'm not mistaking, this has to be done through the court, right? If so, what is the process and cost of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with AZ law as I am with California law. In CA, fathers sign agreements through the Paternity Opportunity Program to be named on the birth certificate. Once their name is there, paternity is established. If you want the child to have a blood test so you can prove you are the father, I don't think it has to be court ordered as long as the mother is in agreement.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Based on a little quick research, you still need to get an order of paternity from the court -the birth certificate is evidence of paternity, but doesn't legally establish it, so if the parents aren't married, until there's an order of paternity, the mother is the sole legal guardian. Go to the Maricopa County Superior Court website and click on "self service center" You can download the documents to file this yourself.

The court also has a self help workshop for these cases:

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...shop_flyer.pdf

The website says the filing fee is $316.00.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Why would you want that? I have 6 kids and am stuck. Looks like you can still run and get out of town. lol (For those in Yorba Linda, I am kidding.)

Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why would you want that? I have 6 kids and am stuck. Looks like you can still run and get out of town. lol (For those in Yorba Linda, I am kidding.)
I hope you are kidding all of us with this response, not just "those in Yorba Linda". A father who is willing to accept responsibility, (and asking how to go about the legalities of doing so) is the exception rather than the rule these days, and not something to kid about, IMO.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
For the reason that observer53 stated above: "the mother is the sole legal guardian.". I know for a fact I'm the father, no need for DNA tests and at the moment, the only one that can run and get out of town is her (with him)

Looks like a fairly simple form to fill out though, I should have done this years ago.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM

She just wants to move on and I want to make sure that I have my rights as the father. We're both reasonable people so we don't need to go to custody court or anything like that.

Question though, the form that I filled out has a summons that I need to fill and deliver to the respondent (mother). Does anyone know if I need to fill that out if it's just for paternity and not child support or anything like that?

Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
She just wants to move on and I want to make sure that I have my rights as the father. We're both reasonable people so we don't need to go to custody court or anything like that.

Question though, the form that I filled out has a summons that I need to fill and deliver to the respondent (mother). Does anyone know if I need to fill that out if it's just for paternity and not child support or anything like that?
A summons goes with any complaint or petition, so yes, it still applies, I would think. If the instructions with the forms don't give you all the info you need about serving the summons and complaint, (I'd recommend having her sign an acceptance of service, that saves you the cost of having her served), that self help workshop might be worth attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: