U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,796,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
for snowplows and pothole repair, ldo!
Oh is that what it's for? I am so glad to be home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 AM

40 posts, read 79,693 times
Being from the Philly area myself, I can totally see where you're coming from. My wife and I lived in Gilbert for 5 years between 2001-2006. Went to Colorado for a job, then ended up back in PA this past December. We recently had our first child and though it would be good to be around more family. Wow, this area sucks. The weather, the roads, etc. We are currently working on getting out of our lease and heading back to Gilbert.

One thing I will say- you may or may not love Arizona (I think you might), but once you leave the northeast it's really hard to come back. That whole thing about you can't go home again. Turned out to be true in our case.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM

3,220 posts, read 2,970,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrynS View Post
Things we liked more about Chandler: both have an upper middler class vibe, but Chandler offers more diversity (look at city-data's profiles) prolly because there are more white collar tech employers along the 10 and 101, more progressive (though that's a relative term in AZ), and there's still a church every other block, but in Gilbert they were all mormon, in Chandler they are all different denominations.
There are lots of Mormons in AZ, but Gilbert is NOT "all Mormon." My husband and I are not LDS, and we had a huge choice of great churches to choose from when we moved to Gilbert.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 AM

164 posts, read 373,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
There are lots of Mormons in AZ, but Gilbert is NOT "all Mormon." My husband and I are not LDS, and we had a huge choice of great churches to choose from when we moved to Gilbert.
True, it's not ALL mormon, but looking in SE Gilbert and N QC all I saw was mormon churches, literally every couple miles. For comparison, the only Lutheran church in Gilbert was 12 miles away, Greenfield just south of the 60.

I think if you are in the NW part of Gilbert, there is more variation, but as you move SE...If you are willing to drive 20-30min to church, not a problem. In Chandler there are many denominations within 5 miles.

Again, just an observation -- neither good nor bad. I really like Gilbert.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
True, it's not ALL mormon, but looking in SE Gilbert and N QC all I saw was mormon churches, literally every couple miles. For comparison, the only Lutheran church in Gilbert was 12 miles away, Greenfield just south of the 60.

I think if you are in the NW part of Gilbert, there is more variation, but as you move SE...If you are willing to drive 20-30min to church, not a problem. In Chandler there are many denominations within 5 miles.

Again, just an observation -- neither good nor bad. I really like Gilbert.
Yes, it does look like all Mormon all the time because they organize themselves into very small congregations called wards that cover members in a neighborhood. They're assigned to the wards nearest them, so no long commutes for them! If Lutherans and Baptists did the same, there would probably be more of those churches around.
Apostolic Lutheran Church: 1219 South Val Vista Drive, Gilbert
Christ's Greenfield Lutheran Church: 425 North Greenfield Road, Gilbert
Desert Cross Lutheran Church: 3225 South Lindsay Road, Gilbert
Heritage Lutheran Church: 14001 East Ray Road, Gilbert
Nativity Lutheran Church: 1351 East Guadalupe Road, Gilbert
Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church: 1159 North Greenfield Road, Gilbert
Best wishes in your search.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:52 AM

164 posts, read 373,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Yes, it does look like all Mormon all the time because they organize themselves into very small congregations called wards that cover members in a neighborhood. They're assigned to the wards nearest them, so no long commutes for them! If Lutherans and Baptists did the same, there would probably be more of those churches around.
Apostolic Lutheran Church: 1219 South Val Vista Drive, Gilbert
Christ's Greenfield Lutheran Church: 425 North Greenfield Road, Gilbert
Desert Cross Lutheran Church: 3225 South Lindsay Road, Gilbert
Heritage Lutheran Church: 14001 East Ray Road, Gilbert
Nativity Lutheran Church: 1351 East Guadalupe Road, Gilbert
Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church: 1159 North Greenfield Road, Gilbert
Best wishes in your search.
Ah, the wards explains a lot. Actually, more like how the other denom's used to be -- neighborhood churches.

Btw, Lutheran comes in a couple "flavors". Only the last Lutheran church is ELCA (my flavor, lol), Desert Cross looks like its a Tempe ELCA church opening a new location in Gilbert (doesn't show up on the ELCA search site). The other "flavors" of Lutheranism have little in common besides the word "lutheran" in their names.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,796,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcramer View Post
Being from the Philly area myself, I can totally see where you're coming from. My wife and I lived in Gilbert for 5 years between 2001-2006. Went to Colorado for a job, then ended up back in PA this past December. We recently had our first child and though it would be good to be around more family. Wow, this area sucks. The weather, the roads, etc. We are currently working on getting out of our lease and heading back to Gilbert.

One thing I will say- you may or may not love Arizona (I think you might), but once you leave the northeast it's really hard to come back. That whole thing about you can't go home again. Turned out to be true in our case.

Good luck to you!
Geez that's when I said when I went back to visit family in the Philly area last week. The roads suck, weather(argh)! I could never return to the Northeast.

Then I went to my reunion in NY....Another eye opener.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 7,720,581 times
A very important factor in choosing a home to purchase, whether it's Gilbert, Chandler, or other city, is how far one is willing to drive to their job.

I live in Gilbert and consider it to be a quiet, multi-generational bedroom Town. There is a lot of shopping, dining, etc, but for plays, concerts, jazz clubs, etc we drive to Scottsdale and Phoenix. That suits our life style fine.

We are not Mormon, but have a lot of Mormon friends. They are great people with strong family values and they never discuss their religion with us.

Realtors are not allowed to guide anyone to or from a location based on religion or other factors that would constitute discrimination.

However, I can state my experiences with my friends.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Ah, the wards explains a lot. Actually, more like how the other denom's used to be -- neighborhood churches.

Btw, Lutheran comes in a couple "flavors". Only the last Lutheran church is ELCA (my flavor, lol), Desert Cross looks like its a Tempe ELCA church opening a new location in Gilbert (doesn't show up on the ELCA search site). The other "flavors" of Lutheranism have little in common besides the word "lutheran" in their names.
Gotcha!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 17,193 times
Quote:
When you visit, I highly recommend spending time in the types of stores you like (grocery, clothing, big box, warehouse) and people watch. We ate a lot of hot dogs and pizza at all the area Costcos! LOL THese are your potential neighbors.
I love this idea and plan on doing it during our visit next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area