Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM

104 posts, read 239,830 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...my husband, son and I are planning on relocating to AZ from Philadelphia. My husband went to college in Arizona and he loved it. I have not been there yet but we are coming for a visit in the fall. From what I hear and see I like it. We are going to rent for a couple months and hopefully like the area and buy a home. I hear both negative and positive remarks about the area. I would like input from actual people who live in Arizona. I am tired of the cold weather and the people here in this city. I need to be around happy people! Although my family is here we are looking for a new lifestyle. We are in our 30s and have a 2 year old. How is the job market? I know the heat is crazy but is it worth it? Electric bills high? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM

365 posts, read 421,175 times
My wife, daughter and myself are thinking of the same thing. Im in NJ, cant afford to live here anymore and quite frankly im sick and tired of the northeast. I pay $8000 per year in propert taxes for a modest home.
I lived in arizona back in 92/93 and really liked it. Im hoping to do this move in the next couple of years.
Housing appears really affordable and I think it will stay that way for quite some time. Property taxes will be $2000 per year not per quarter like im paying now.
I love the homes out there, the desert landscaping and the beautiful weather.
I cant wait to move!...
I remember Gilbert and Chandler being very nice towns. I also loved Tempe and Scottsdale.....
At the time i was there I worked and lived in Mesa. Im not hearing too many good things about Mesa on this board.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM

104 posts, read 292,534 times
There are nice parts of Mesa, also. If you live in East Mesa~the far East part is nice...but really like any city, there are nice areas all over and not so nice areas

I live in Gilbert, moved here four years ago and really like Gilbert. I am happy that we picked Gilbert to start out in~when we first moved here~i honestly would not want to live anywhere else (perhaps Chandler)...i think you made a good choice

Good luck in your search/move

Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,725,255 times
Default Gilbert AZ

We moved to Giblert AZ from CA in 2004 and love it. We wouldn't live anywhere else in the valley.

It's a friendly, family oriented, rather conservative Town, although about one third of the population is single, with and without children, and either divorsed or widowed. Part of that is probably college students and retired people who have lost their spouse.

The schools have a good reputation, and there is plenty of shopping and good restaurants in the area. You'll love Gilbert. There are homes here for every price range. Below are a few pictures of the Town:
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-santan-restaurant.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-water-feature.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-dana-park-street-view-1.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-clubhouse-water-3.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-waterfall-3.jpg  

Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-dana-park-5.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-tennis-picnic-area.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-gilbert-historical-museum.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-rose-2.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-egret.jpg  

Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-agritopia-1.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-water-tower-2.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-tribute-fallen-fire-police.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-hale-theater.jpg   Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-kitchen-overall-view.jpg  

Relocating to Gilbert,Arizona-house-front.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Bill; 04-09-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Default Az

Thanks so much for your posts. We are looking to move fall 2011 because we are saving as much $$$ as possible. My husband needs to find a job. He is a chef so if anyone knows of a nice (not chain) restaurant or country club looking for a great chef please let me know. He works in a wonderful BYOB downtown and is fantastic! Also, we are coming to visit this summer any suggestions on hotels to stay at close to Gilbert so we can check out the area?
Also, I hear there are so many houses for sale right now. Are they mostly foreclosures?
Do you get used to the weather? I am not that concerned b/c I do not mind the heat just the humidity-it's not like here in the summer...you can't even breath.
Any and all info will help...schools? daycares?

Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the beautiful pics...I know we will love it!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:54 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,908,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmc View Post
Hello everyone...my husband, son and I are planning on relocating to AZ from Philadelphia. My husband went to college in Arizona and he loved it. I have not been there yet but we are coming for a visit in the fall. From what I hear and see I like it. We are going to rent for a couple months and hopefully like the area and buy a home. I hear both negative and positive remarks about the area. I would like input from actual people who live in Arizona. I am tired of the cold weather and the people here in this city. I need to be around happy people! Although my family is here we are looking for a new lifestyle. We are in our 30s and have a 2 year old. How is the job market? I know the heat is crazy but is it worth it? Electric bills high? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Boy I can't blame you. I just came back from the Philly area from visiting relatives. I honestly don't know what they are paying those taxes for.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 AM

675 posts, read 1,405,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Boy I can't blame you. I just came back from the Philly area from visiting relatives. I honestly don't know what they are paying those taxes for.
for snowplows and pothole repair, ldo!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 PM

164 posts, read 769,839 times
We originally planned on Gilbert, looked a lot in Queen Creek (Maricopa, not Pinal), and ended up buying in S. Chandler. I think Gilbert and Chandler both are great, have top ranked schools, etc. Things we liked more about Chandler: both have an upper middler class vibe, but Chandler offers more diversity (look at city-data's profiles) prolly because there are more white collar tech employers along the 10 and 101, more progressive (though that's a relative term in AZ), and there's still a church every other block, but in Gilbert they were all mormon, in Chandler they are all different denominations. Chandler is closer to the 10 and tech corridor (though actually a bit farther commute for DH)and Ikea Chandler has tons of city parks and open/green spaces (I heard the most in the PHX metro area). I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, so pick your preference.

When you visit, I highly recommend spending time in the types of stores you like (grocery, clothing, big box, warehouse) and people watch. We ate a lot of hot dogs and pizza at all the area Costcos! LOL THese are your potential neighbors.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,568,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmc View Post
I hear both negative and positive remarks about the area. I would like input from actual people who live in Arizona. I am tired of the cold weather and the people here in this city. I need to be around happy people!

Thanks
With the economy, housing and imminent immigration bill enactment, I don't know if you can say that Phoenix is full of "happy" people. Living in a sunny climate is only one element of life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area