U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 AM

20 posts, read 51,253 times

Advertisements

Let me give you brief overview before I ask my question(s).

I'm an 18 year old African American male. I'm originally from San Diego; I spent much of my early childhood years there and loved it. Due to my mothers occupation, we relocated to Kansas City, MO while I was in elementary school, and remained there until I graduated from high school. From Kansas City, I moved to Dallas, and that's where I currently reside.

With that said, I've been looking to get back to the western regions of America since the day my family and I left. I hated living in Kansas City. Cold winters, very limited social activities, boring landscape, and extremely inflated crime rates for such a small metropolitan area. All in all, it sucked, at least in my opinion.

While I have no specific issues with Dallas, as it's a great city, it simply isn't where I wish to be. So seeing as how I'm young, and lacking any major responsibilities, I want to head back out west. I've researched a few schools, and after skimming over a few, Arizona State University has stood out the most. In all likelihood, be it Gods will, thats where I intend to be in the fall. However, before I make my decision, I'd like to gather some opinions from the locals about the Phoenix, Tempe, and Arizona in general.

Keeping in mind that I haven't the slightest issue with "illegals", don't care for seasons, and don't mind warm weather; What are some of your opinions on the area for someone such as myself? Basically I'm curious about the overall quality of life, affordable realty, economic status of the cities and state, if it'd be an area I could establish a family in after college, what kind of social life the area offers, and the general personality of the people that occupy the area?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 02:31 AM

167 posts, read 325,300 times
I'l give you a little bit about my experience with the area
When I lived there I was 20-21. Tempe is actually decently urban with a small but great downtown area. Quite walkable and vibrant. Cost of living is pretty cheap for nice apartments. The nightlife in the area is numerous and fun. The women in the area are on an elite level looks wise and fun to hang with. The area is also somewhat friendly and easy to meet friends. I really enjoyed my time there. I rarely ran across illegals they are somewhat quarantined in certain areas. Also Scottsdale is right up the road which is more of an upscale variety which was more to my enjoyment. Hope this helped! PM me with any questions!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
I'l give you a little bit about my experience with the area
When I lived there I was 20-21. Tempe is actually decently urban with a small but great downtown area. Quite walkable and vibrant. Cost of living is pretty cheap for nice apartments. The nightlife in the area is numerous and fun. The women in the area are on an elite level looks wise and fun to hang with. The area is also somewhat friendly and easy to meet friends. I really enjoyed my time there. I rarely ran across illegals they are somewhat quarantined in certain areas. Also Scottsdale is right up the road which is more of an upscale variety which was more to my enjoyment. Hope this helped! PM me with any questions!
Thank you for your response. Did you attend ASU?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:20 AM

600 posts, read 1,108,560 times
I lived in Tempe for a year and loved it. Tempe is a college student's dream world, if there ever was one. Arizona people are laid back, but not too much like CA residents, and really nice. A ton of good looking girls as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
I lived in Tempe for a year and loved it. Tempe is a college student's dream world, if there ever was one. Arizona people are laid back, but not too much like CA residents, and really nice. A ton of good looking girls as well.
I'm really looking forward to the move. Some of the post around these boards have kind of scared me off a bit though.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM

17 posts, read 45,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I'm really looking forward to the move. Some of the post around these boards have kind of scared me off a bit though.
A lot of the posters on here are filled with hyperbole and don't really know what they're talking about. YMMV

Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
zox

344 posts, read 359,743 times
Let me give you a little bit about my background. I'm an Indian (east Indian) American who grew up in Wisconsin and moved to Dallas during my teens. I then went to college in the Chicago area and have lived in San Jose and Phoenix. I really enjoy the Phoenix area. There is something to be said about living in or near the west coast. Although Arizona is not California, relative to Dallas and the rest of the country really, Arizona is pretty much an extension of California with regards to the culture. Arizona has traditionally been described as being libertarian which is generally defined as being socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Some don't think Arizona is socially liberal but the evidence cited to dispute this can often be found in California such as laws banning same sex marriage. I really enjoyed Dallas too but Arizona is definitely more my style and I feel it is a little more liberal and tolerant than the Dallas area. I think you will enjoy it here but you must be active in seeking out people. I have not experienced any form of racism while I've been here and my race is never an issue here which it was sometimes an issue in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or