U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,998,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
With all due respect, this is not accurate. The 101 was completed in the early part of this decade with the intent that Phoenix would continue to grow at its then pace which is faster than the current one. They had multiple lanes which often led to a lot of wreckless driving by motorists racing one another since there was so much space. The I-17, the 51 and the 60 were all widened. In addition, the 202/Pecos freeway was added to remove congestion from the 60 and the 303 Loop was finished too. Rush hour is an integral part of any large metropolitan city. It seems rather illogical to argue that our rush hour is bad considering rush hour isn't pleasant in any large metropolitan city ranked in the top fifteen.
Check your sources. The loop 303 is not FINISHED and will not be for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Check your sources. The loop 303 is not FINISHED and will not be for many years.
They put up the 303 signs, though.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM

8,671 posts, read 9,357,636 times
And Phoenix traffic is mostly bad to those that live there....and some have no clue what bad traffic can be, nor that there is no longer a "rush hour" in some places that can be predicted, but constant throughout the day...Minneapolis, St. Paul is a good example of that...you can park on the freeway at any given time because most parts are 2 to 3 lanes at most...give or take the rideshare lanes....and road construction...

Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 PM

275 posts, read 309,363 times
LOL..wow you know kc dont you??? Yep, they have the signs 30 miles before the exit..thank god for that in my case.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM

134 posts, read 247,154 times
1 month is too soon to be familar with the road system and local route. GPS will not help also.
Also lots of road construction but they do help after completion.
Still the system here is thankfully mostly so organized. Good planning and lots of local knowledge
(learning from bad experience helps)

Rubber necking is in everywhere - human nature. Just let the first
responders do their job and be on our way. But this will never happen
in my lifetime.
So happy to avoid Garden State PARK(ing)way, Turnpike, Manhattan,
Bay Area 101/880, and the infamous So-Cal.
Or try driving in other countries. Just Nightmares hopefully
in my past life (but never say never).
And when it snows - honey forget about dinner time.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 PM

51 posts, read 66,426 times
Annie, To answer your original question, I will say that I dont think Phoenix traffic is all that bad. I lived in St. Louis and traveled to KC at least once a month for work. The south side of KC on 470/435 during rush hour is about the same as the slow spots in Phoenix. 10mph and coming to a stop every 100yds is frustrating no matter where it occurs.

The way to tell if you have bad traffic is when it keeps you from doing things in other parts of town. In Atlanta, there were great things to do, but you were worn out after driving and hour and an half through bumper to bumper traffic to get there, even on a Saturday afternoon. Same goes for Chicago and LA. Phoenix is not like that at all and the roads are smooth and very wide.

There is a reason millions of people from other big towns came here and never left and its not just the weather!!!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 PM

20,507 posts, read 10,902,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
But even during rush hour in California, the traffic is at a standstill. I grew up in LA and traffic is so bad that you just turn your car off at times because you aren't going anywhere until it starts moving. I can remember taking 2 hours to drive 12 miles. There is nothing remotely that bad in Phoenix. In Phoenix, it's constantly moving albeit which is a huge difference. The only time you get standstill traffic in Phoenix is if there is an accident or a major sporting event like people driving on the 101 trying to exit on Glendale to the stadium.
DING, DING, DING!! WINNER!!

I look at the rush-hour traffic reports on Phoenix TV and burst out laughing. Cars are at least moving here.

I've been in stop and go traffic at two in the morning in L.A. The Orange Crush at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon? Bring a good book.

I can, on a Saturday, drive down the 51 from the 101 to go to the Art Museum and there's no traffic. Drive to the zoo? No problem. Won't even tap on the brakes once.

I don't know how many of my L.A. friends have quit going places because the traffic is so horrendous.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:24 PM

9,798 posts, read 12,386,429 times
The comparison of Kansas City MO, I am assuming, a place that City Data.com list as having less than 500,000 people to Phoenix with more than 3 times that is not the best comparison. When you consider that Scottsdale, Tempe, and Peoria combined have more people than Kansas city and althogh they are cities unto themselves the people that inhabit them are part of the metro area.

When you talk about the Phoenix area you are including other cities near Phoenix that are larger than many midwestern cities. To get an idea of the closeness of everything, I can drive east on Bell Road and pass thru several cities and if I didn't know any better would not have known I had crossed the border of one city to the next. This is just one big place.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM

2,948 posts, read 3,456,032 times
"I can drive east on Bell Road and pass thru several cities and if I didn't know any better would not have known I had crossed the border of one city to the next."

Even more so on Grand Ave. Surprise, El Mirage, Youngtown, Sun City, Peoria and Glendale all before entering Phoenix.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 PM

1,128 posts, read 877,154 times
I work shifts where I dont generally get encompassed in rush hour traffic. I drive about 11 miles to work and take the I-17 it takes me about 15 minutes to get there.
And if you think Phx is bad, try living in Tucson! Their traffic sucks with a capital S. There are only 2 freeways and they both run north and South. and people drive so slow there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area